ClubAdventist is back!

Whatever Happened To Peace On Earth

Neil D

[:"blue"] I saw this and thought "Why not?" Some of you will probably castigate me over this, but I thought it worth a read. I, quite frankly, never did like Willie's singing...but these words struck a cord...And I am sorry that Willie's not exactly Sabbath material, but you gotta admit, he does have a way with words... [/]

by Willie Nelson

There's so many things going on in the world

Babies dying

Mothers crying

How much oil is one human life worth?

And what ever happened to peace on earth?

We believe everything that they tell us

They're gonna' kill us

So we gotta' kill them first

But I remember a commandment

Thou shall not kill

How much is that soldier's life worth?

And whatever happened to peace on earth?

And the bewildered herd is still believing

Everything we've been told from our birth

Hell they won't lie to me

Not on my own damn TV

But how much is a liar's word worth?

So I guess it's just

Do unto others before they do it to you

Let's just kill em' all and let God sort em' out

Is this what God wants us to do?

Not on my own damn TV

Now you probably won't hear this on your radio

Probably not on your local TV

But if there's a time, and if you're ever so inclined

You can always hear it from me

How much is one picker's word worth?

But don't confuse caring for weakness

You can't put that label on me

The truth is my weapon of mass protection

And I believe truth sets you free

Not on my own damn TV

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

This is the pot-smoking, free spirit, I-want-to-be-cool-at-70 Willie Nelson. Makes me think of the old cliche "Shoemaker stick to thy last". Willie is a good singer and very entertaining but we like him for his music - not his politics.

It brings about the same old topic. Why do entertainers feel qualified to lecture the nation on politics? Who cares what Tom Hanks or Bruce Willis thinks?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Hmmmmm...."attack the messager" or in this case, the author. Ignore the message....

Very good deflection....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Neal... Standard shane-isms tongue1.gif

But to your point. When pop-artists can see it, it's a pretty good indication that the Holy Spirit and the influences of the Veil of Mercy from True Jesus sacrifice is slowly being withdrawn from the earth.

The Veil is still in place, but is being withdrawn quickly. Not much time left now....

Clio

A heart where He alone has first place.

I can see where some may consider my comments an attack on the messenger. However all my comments are common knowledge to those of us the live in Texas or anyone reading Texas Monthly I was simply putting the words to the song in context.

Take a look:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

If any country star can get away with marijuana leaves on a CD, it's Nelson.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

he supported liberal candidate Dennis Kucinich for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and later the nominee, John Kerry.

"Dennis Kucinich was against the war, and I was against the war," Nelson said. "Everyone else seemed sort of for it one way or another. I backed a guy that had no chance in hell of winning, but that didn't matter."

He also released a rare political song, "Whatever Happened To Peace on Earth," in which he condemned the war in Iraq. The title and lyrics pretty much sum up his views on war.

"I was basing my opinion mainly on what I had been taught ever since I was growing up," he said. "'Thou shall not kill' has been around a long time."

Some may think because he is a country star from Texas that he is conservative and thus his position on the war would be striking. However there is nothing striking about it. He is a liberal that is against the war. Nothing is newsworthy about that.

Shane -

No one was commenting on Willie Nelson's character or life. The comments were being directed at the message in the words of the song.

Perhaps he doesn't live his life according to YOUR idea of what is good and righteous, but it is clear from the words he penned, and chose to make into a song that MILLIONS will hear... that somewhere in him is a man searching for the truth that is True Jesus.

This is another example of your words perhaps not conveying your intent and meaning.

Moses was a convicted, and guilty, murderer. David was an adulterer and murderer, the thief on the cross was a thief, Saul, later Paul, murdered hundreds. None of these giants of faith would have passed muster as a "Christian" in today's world. Yet Abba Father used them to do great and wondrous things.

Do not attack his character, just hear the message of the song.

Clio coolhello.gif

Neil,

Thank you for sharing this song with us. I have always liked most of Willie's songs, but have not heard this one. The words are very thought provoking to say the least. And, perhaps that is why I have not heard it, it may be "too much" for main-stream radio. It is always interesting to be able to read and digest the words to songs that otherwise one may not be able to by just listening to the music. I would say that Willie thinks a lot deeper than one would guess by just looking at the "package." Something about not judging comes to mind......

Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life.

Hi MG!

Last night... nope Sunday, dh and I were watching a special on Willie Nelson. He has had his issues with the IRS, with pot, and other things, but one thing that really struck me, is his work ethic.

When the IRS came and sold everything he had, most of what was purchased was returned to Willie by those who purchased it. That was something I didn't know.

Willie also founded Live Aid to benefit the farmers of America. He said on the special that he thought he would only be doing it for one year, that surely the lawmakers would understand that putting small family farms out of business was detrimental to American being able to feed herself and the rest of the world.

He said he was shocked that this year was his 8th year, but that he would do it as long as necessary. It showed him working to help unload bales of hay from a large truck, and telling an 80 year old lady that they were delivering 150 bales today, and would bring more next week. He was hot, dusty, and dirty, sweat rolling off his face, you could tell he'd been working and not just for the cameras.

Reading his words, penned in the song, makes me suspect he has been searching, and True Jesus has been finding. There appears to be fruit of the Spirit in his life... love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV

The package is much like many packages on the streets of our cities. True Jesus came to save them, and loves them too.

Clio

Clio,

That is interesting about folks returning Willie's stuff. I had not heard that. I think that there is a lot more to Willie than meets the eye. I knew about his Farm Aid project and have applauded him for it.

So true about the "package." Good thing that God looks at the heart, and not the outward appearance.

Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life.

And even better He told us so...

That text about man looking on the outward appearance and the Lord looking on the heart in 1 Samuel is one of my favorites.

Growing up, my Gram had a book, I'm sure it was an SDA book, and it contained the story of how David was chosen and anointed. I remember parts where Samuel went down the line of the sons of Jesse, and what he thought. Each son was named, and Samuel was told no, not this one...

I just LOVED the part where Abba told him, "I'm looking on their hearts!" I always considered myself to be a rather ugly child, and it was comforting to know Abba wasn't looking THERE!

Another story in this particular book was the story of David and Goliath... another favorite. I hope, when my aunt passes on, that if nothing else, I receive that book of Gram's. There are precious stories in it that mean all the more because she took the time to read them to me.

Clio

By the same token, who cares what you think, or any one else? Everyone has a right to a belief...even if it is different than yours or mine.

You make my point for me. An entertainer's political opinion is of no more value than yours or mine. They only get one vote at the ballot box too. Few have any moral high ground to stand on that others would want to use as an example for their own lives.

I will give you example of those with positions which merit greater respect in political matters. Law enforcement officers, military personelle, long-term government workers, union officials, CEOs and those sitting on corporate board of directors, retired and current politicians, members of the bar, people with PhDs, members of the clergy, etc.

An entertainer does not have a greater role in society than an ambulance driver or a dry cleaner. So if their opinion is no greater than ours why does society tune in to hear the political opinion of an entertainer on Good Morning America or Larry King but doesn't care what their mechanic thinks?

My opinion is because society has made entertainers into idols. Regardless if they are musicians, actors or athletes, entertains recieve adoration from the multitudes. And yet when we examine the personal lives and religious beliefs of many of them we find that the cashier at the local grocery store or the stylist at our hair salon should be listened to before much of the "rich and famous."

• Moderators

Turn it around the other way, though: I think most Christians [1] would argue that, because of the voice they have in society (whether that's legitimate or not), entertainers do have an obligation to present thoughtful, well-reasoned opinions. Maybe their opinions *shouldn't* have more weight than those of everyone else, but given that, due to the way our society is structured, they do, then entertainers ought to (and I think many do) take that extra weight seriously.

We might not agree with Willie on everything, or indeed on much of anything, but I don't think it hurts to share a piece of poetry (which is what a song becomes in this forum) that captures something we want to say with those here. Of course, anyone is free to disagree with the sentiments too.

[1] So I'm not making a specific statement about your opinions here, Shane - you may agree or disagree with the idea, and you may also agree or disagree that most Christians hold it!

Truth is important

Just to clarify, I do not fault the entertainers for expressing their opinions. They have as much responsibilty to do so as my taylor does. I fault the idol-worship mentality that gives entertainers an audience for their poltical views that my taylor doesn't have.

Quote:

I fault the idol-worship mentality that gives entertainers an audience for their poltical views that my taylor doesn't have.

Is that the fault of the entertainer and the PR machine or the audience?

If the entertainer and the PR machine, then can you really say that it is "idol worship"?

If it is the audience, then how do you correct that?

George Bernard Shaw