ClubAdventist is back!

What if I regret becoming a Christian?

JSInquiry

It really pains me to write these lines, but I just need help.

Ever since I was young I have been interested in faith and the Bible. I also developed sinful habits that I lived in next to reading the Bible and learning about God. When I got to know Him more fully, I realized I had to decide between Him and my sin. Since I saw my life was going downhill, I decided I would really let God into my life and was baptized two years ago.

I am currently studying theology, and I feel completely lost. I thought that if I knew God and gave my life to Him things would work out, but they don't. I am constantly depressed, I hate going to church, worshiping and singing songs and when I read the Bible it doesn't mean anything to me. Praying hurts too.

Worst of all, I want my old life back so bad. I've given up so much already and there's still so much on the table. Everything I like is a sin.

Please tell me what I'm supposed to do. Please help me.

• Members

Wow don't know where to begin. Only can say, I'll add you to my pray list. Maybe going study Theology was not what you needed? Maybe just living a Christ center life first than see where that goes. Also maybe a good Christian person to talk to would help. When we give our lives to Jesus, Satan really attacks, to lets us know we have chosen the wrong path. I'm pretty sure many others will add more comfort to your trials. Bad things happen to all the good and the evil. God never said you wouldn't go through rough times, but he did promise that he would never allow us to get in over our heads, there would always be a way out.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Quote:
I am constantly depressed,

your depression is constant, and depression is like a wound. some wounds are deep and we feel them every move we make, and we cannot enjoy anything in life in the pain of a deep wound.

i do not know the cause of your depression, but i do know God does not bring depression to us. It can have over 80 different sources, and combinations of sources. God can help you over come this depression, and help you find a life of wisdom, joy, health and peace.

Jesus came that we might have life and have life more abundantly.

He will help you challenge whatever it is that is causing the problems that are robbing you of this.

Cricket is very right on in her her response. seek counseling, and if you cannot afford it try any of the support groups, narcotics anonymous for people who have lived the pain of living with others who are addicted, over eaters anonymous, if you are in a large city you may find an emotions anonymous group to attend.

sounds like you may have become involved in an addiction. This creates special kinds of needs that need special care to recover from to get to that abundant free and full life.

with prayers for you,

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

Hi, JSInquiry-

You may be well-versed in the theology, but what heals is the abiding presence of Christ through the Holy Spirit in the heart. It may be time for you to rest in faith in Jesus' promise that He would give you rest.

As the shepherd MADE the sheep to lie down in green pastures while he cared for them, try to think of Jesus doing that for you.

Faith is not as easy as finding answers in the good book. In order to make them alive in your life you need to believe that they are for YOU. Faith is what you need until the promises become fulfilled in something you can see. It is believing that all will come about as the Bible says, in God's time.

I also add a recommendation for some good therapy. Perhaps even a medication might tie you over and help you to function again. But since you have outlined your struggle as a moral one involving guilt and sin, Christ has the answer for that. Believe His promises, and rest in them and in His love. Theology is one part but don't neglect the other side, that of faith and the health of your soul (heart).

Please let us know how it goes! I wish you blessings and understanding through the power of the Holy Spirit. :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Thank you for all your replies. I would love to say that I am already out of the rut I am in, but that wouldn't be true. It still hurts. But I think maybe God is trying to teach me something. I don't know what, but I guess I must trust in His timing. I just pray that someday I can get the emptiness inside me filled.

• Members

And I will pray along with you, and so will many others.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

God allows guilt shame and fear to follow moral transgression, for a good reason. To motivate us to resolve the choices that have locked our hearts.

When we resolve these issues Biblically, His peace will come back into our lives. I take exception to the suggestion that any counselor will do -- secular counseling will make a spiritual problem worse - by turning the issue into concrete inside us.

When we have these kind of unresolved issues inside us, going to church only brings more frustration. The solution is to identify the issues that are causing us depression and resolve them. You may need some help for that. Call Caring for the Heart ministries in CO. Springs and ask if they have a counselor near you. Meantime, we will pray for you and ask God to reveal three things: His love & strength, and the root cause of the issues that you struggle with. He is able and you are not alone!

There is hope!

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

It really pains me to write these lines, but I just need help.

Ever since I was young I have been interested in faith and the Bible. I also developed sinful habits that I lived in next to reading the Bible and learning about God. When I got to know Him more fully, I realized I had to decide between Him and my sin. Since I saw my life was going downhill, I decided I would really let God into my life and was baptized two years ago.

I am currently studying theology, and I feel completely lost. I thought that if I knew God and gave my life to Him things would work out, but they don't. I am constantly depressed, I hate going to church, worshiping and singing songs and when I read the Bible it doesn't mean anything to me. Praying hurts too.

Worst of all, I want my old life back so bad. I've given up so much already and there's still so much on the table. Everything I like is a sin.

Have you read Steps to Christ? If not - I suggest a careful reading of it - especially the first 5 chapters. Around page 28-30 in the regular book version (it is available free online).

You mention the fear of bad consequences of a life of sin - but love sin and do not desire the life of Christ. That is pretty much the way the Bible describes the unconverted soul.

In John 16 the Holy Spirit "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" not just the saved.

The fact that you feel conviction does not mean that you are a Christian.

In John 12:32 Christ said that He draws ALL mankind unto Him. That fact you feel a drawing to Christ does not mean that you have truly accepted Christ.

Ellen White makes the statement "A supposed hope and nothing more will prove your ruin".

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/sc/sc3.html

Romans 3 describes the depravity of the sinful nature. Read vs 9-19. The lost have a sinful nature - so also do the saved saints.

Don't confuse the fact that you sense the desires and drawing of the inner man - sinful nature, with not being saved at all. Feed the angelic Christ-like nature - STARVE the old nature with no unchristian TV, no unchristian movies, no rock music, no gladiator-sports etc. Shut down all of the sinful nature's food sources. Go on a fast from all media sources for a month so that you can reset-the-clock and start over.

Suffer through the sinful nature's agony as day by day "By the Spirit put to DEATH the deeds of the flesh" Romans 8. Not a pleasant experience.

Every unchristian video, picture, book, song, sport, music that you indulge in - throws your new nature in Christ under the bus and separates the soul from experiencing the presence of Christ in the life. It does not mean you are lost with each sin - it means you are starving your new nature and letting the old nature feast. Do not let the beast feast.

But the saved saint has something the lost do not have - the saint has the 2Cor 5:18-21 "New Creation", the John 3 "New Birth" created in the image of God. Old things passed away all desires made new.

The result is Romans 7 - WAR in the inner man.

The new nature loves prayer, loves to read the Bible, loves to read Desire of Ages, Loves to share the Gospel of our salvation with family and friends. In 1John 5:2-3 the new nature loves to obey the Commandments of God. The old nature hates all of it.

Without that miracle of the New Birth - all you have is a caged animal - constrained by circumstances and wishing to be freed from this or that obligation or life choice.

The first step is to "count the cost". Decide if eternal life is for you. IF you say yes then know that a HALF-committed Christian is not a Christian at all. Christ says to the new born Christian "Take up your cross and follow Me" -

Read John 3:1-10 and Matt 10:28-42 as if your eternal destiny depended on it - because it does.

It means that we cannot "celebration church" ourselves into silencing the sinful nature or manufacturing the new birth.

Taking up the cross as a saved saint is a possible choice. It is not a choice the lost must make. For the lost there is only one choice to make - to surrender all to Christ or not.

But to come to Christ - to seek freedom from the condemnation and punishment of the lake of fire - and then to choose NOT to take up your cross and follow Christ - is to return back to the old state no matter the circumstances around you.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Thank you for all your replies. I would love to say that I am already out of the rut I am in, but that wouldn't be true. It still hurts. But I think maybe God is trying to teach me something. I don't know what, but I guess I must trust in His timing. I just pray that someday I can get the emptiness inside me filled.

Sounds to me as if the choice was made already: continue the same course of trust and prayer. If the results of such action are satisfying, that seems to be a sound course of action. If the results are unsatisfying, then perhaps there is another choice worth considering.

Hello, JSInquiry,

Some times lists of things to do to whip the problem, just add weight to the burden one is already carrying. It's often the result of believing there is a work, not necessarily known, that I believe I must do before I can receive the peace that passes understanding. That peace that only Jesus can give.

While it is true one cannot find that peace while practicing known sin, it is also true one cannot stop sinning without Divine empowerment. Perhaps these three steps in promises would be helpful to your need.

"“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8 NLT

Some believe that if they just work up enough faith, all will change for the better. Faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit. So ask for that specific gift.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;" Ephesians 2:8 NASB

Notice it says, "and that not of yourselves", as well as "by grace you have been saved", not you will be. If you have asked Jesus to abide in your heart, by grace you have been saved. I didn't say it, the Word did.

And then remember the life you receive is a growing experience for all eternity. You can practice accepting this promise immediately.

"A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory."Matthew 12:20 KJV

I just learned a scientifically proven fact, that if you want to make a habit of anything, carry the task out just seven times and it will become a habit. I haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds worth investigating.

God bless you in your loyalty to a Savior and Friend of which we cannot find greater.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Quote:

you need to make a decision. when you experience the flood of your own fallen nature is stronger then the desire for God, you need to choose this day whom you will serve.

if you want the Lord, then seek those things that are above right in the face of your inclinations and tendencies and propensities to do otherwise.

wage war and then, knowing you have no power to fight this war or win this war, cry out for the captain of your salvation to send his Heavenly forces into the battle. he has never lost a battle.

all we can bring to the Lord is ourselves as we are, and knowing our need. This is what God is waiting for. The Battle actually is the Lords battle,m the victory is His victory. however weak we are, if we follow the commands of the General the General who has never lost a battle, then we will win and win and win and win again.

If you need more faith, talk faith, exercise praise and gratitude pray them, if you do not have the words pray the word of God, we are given the words in scripture. pray psalms 145, and psalms 103, and others.

knowing you cannot do it, and feeling your need is required in order to rely on God to bring you to being on top of sin. so thank Him, the deeper your failure, the deeper you need that presses on you, let it be a reason to thank God for giving you the first condition that is required for you to have success. turn it all into a conversation with God.

faith comes by hearing and hearing comes by the word of god. so saturate yourself in the word of God. Read until it speaks to you. and when it speaks to you write down the words that you hear in your heart on a 3 by five card or in a journal. this is faith building at it's best.

where sin abounds grace much more abounds, be not overcome of evil but overcome evil with good. Look unto me and be ye saved. I have not said to the seed of Israel seek me in vain. Seek me and you will find me. The name of the Lord is a mighty tower.

sing to the Lord. and angels will surround you. the enemy is repelled by singing and praying to God... Persevere, and you will know the glorious power of God to help you.

will keep praying for you.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

God cares! peace

I'll double that thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

phkrause

• Administrators

Agree with the Doubles peace

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Praying you can soon be celebrating the love of Jesus in your life. When we can truly rejoice about Jesus in no matter what circumstances life brings us - we can honestly say we understand Jesus. Hang in there brother or sister ... and remember that sin is only fun for a season.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I would recommend a book to you to read. It's not by a SDA author but this man understood the essence of the Christianity very well. The book is titled The Cost of Discipleship. The author is Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

I'm reading it right now and I have to say I am getting a real blessing from it.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

It's hard to know exactly how to make it better...((JSInquiry))

Bonhoeffer is good, indeed!

You may simply need to trust God to work things out in His time. Instead of studying the Bible for doctrine, study for its counsels on the heart and living in faith. There is ample there for our human issues such as sorrow, grief, physical needs, guidance and wisdom, etc.

And once you learn what weapons are available, you will need to learn to incorporate them into your daily living. When the connection is made to your heart, that is when God's word becomes alive to your soul.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Doctrine, JSInquiry, means teaching or instruction. While some may consider some instructions from the Word of little importance, I would like to suggest that any instruction from the Word (Jesus), ignored, can be perilous. For one thing, this is a promise that is forfeited when a truthful teaching is not followed.

"So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”"John 8:31-32 NASB

OTOH, knowing we all fall short, whether out of ignorance or negligence, or whatever, if our desire is to do that which is Jesus' will, we also can lay claim to this promise.

"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” . "2 Cor 12:8-9 NLT

And that, my friend, knowing this to be true, will give you the peace for which you're looking. And when your feelings that are negative threaten to overwhelm you, you can claim this promise below, recognizing the fact that "..apart from Me (Jesus) you can do nothing."

..the Lord does not deliver by sword or by spear; for the battle is the Lord’s.. "1 Samuel 17:47 NASB

And it is only fitting that we should be able to give the responsibility to God for the victory, since we are no match for our primary enemy.

"For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I personally wouldn't say that there are any regrets from being a Christian. As a Christian, we undertand the consequences of being one. Yet, as we live in this sinful world, and yes, sin is a temptation it can test and pull us away to what God wishes us to be. Conviction is a daily struggle. Paul said that we must die daily. We are human, and we are bound to makes mistakes. God understands this. We can never be perfect, and only with Christ can we be perfected. This is not an excuse for sin, but we must strive in our daily struggles to be Christ like. Simply put, we all struggle.

Quote:
sin is a temptation it can test and pull us away to what God wishes us to be. Conviction is a daily struggle. Paul said that we must die daily.

Unless I misunderstand the 1st four words of that comment, I must respectfully decline that assumption, based on the Word.

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin."Hebrews 4:14 NKJV

As to the struggle, without doubt, but possible to resist if God gives us the same right of dependence on His Son that He exercised in His dependence upon His Father and we can believe Jesus keeps His promises, which I'm satisfied He does.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."Ephesians 6:12 KJV

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."James 4:7 KJV

"“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."John 15:5 NKJV

"I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me."

John 5:30 NKJV

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."Philippians 4:13 NKJV

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Guest arnie

Hi JSInquiry,

There is so much help displayed on this site posted by others that literally has influenced my life and gives me hope.

I don't think we should ever underestimate how powerful sin can actually be. It offers instant gratification on every level and that is really hard to let go of. It is so easy to allow our brain to be programmed to a certain way of thinking without us even realizing that it's taking place. You're just not alone in this battle. It takes a while for the Holy Spirit to change us. I love what the Apostle Paul says regarding this in Romans 7:8 ---Sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me EVERY KIND OF COVETOUS DESIRE. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came sin sprang to life and I died. . .(verse 11) For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me and through the commandment put me to death. . .Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced DEATH IN ME through what was good.. .We know that the law is spiritual; but, I AM UNSPIRITUAL, sold as a slave to sin. . .What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God---through Jesus Christ our Lord! Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature, but by the spirit."

So, Paul had a struggle. We all do, but through reliance on Christ and the Holy Spirit, we can be changed. We can. Hang in there and NEVER give up. Make Jesus your best friend. Prayers and May God Bless, Arnie

Quote:
sin is a temptation it can test and pull us away to what God wishes us to be. Conviction is a daily struggle. Paul said that we must die daily.

Unless I misunderstand the 1st four words of that comment, I must respectfully decline that assumption, based on the Word.

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin."Hebrews 4:14 NKJV

As to the struggle, without doubt, but possible to resist if God gives us the same right of dependence on His Son that He exercised in His dependence upon His Father and we can believe Jesus keeps His promises, which I'm satisfied He does.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."Ephesians 6:12 KJV

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."James 4:7 KJV

"“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."John 15:5 NKJV

"I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me."

John 5:30 NKJV

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."Philippians 4:13 NKJV

God cares! peace

I do believe you did misunderstand my first 4 words. We are indeed made peferct through Christ alone however, Lucifer can certainly test our faith. God allows and even permits Lucifer's doings and expects us to look vertically to help us over come a sinful world. I am not suggesting that sin is used by God as a method to test our allegance, to the contrary, Yet, Luficer uses sin as a devise in the hopes we will stray from the path of rightesousness.

• 3 weeks later...

Only jumping in fully really lets us see what a Christian life is like. Otherwise we are on the outside looking in, And if we fully yield to God, the big difference is, its our choice every day, whereas, if we yield to Satan, he tries to force us to stay there with him in the dark. SO if you fully yield to God, what do you have to lose if you don't like it? You can always change your mind, but what can prevent this is the relationship. God becomes important to us as a personal abiding Presence and Friend, and because His Spirit is in us, we cannot abide in a sinful state- it is at war with the nature He gives us. Gradually as we continue to receive of His Spirit the things of the flesh become more and more alien to us- we cannot have it both ways, and do not want to because they lose their appeal as we come closer to Him.

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.