ClubAdventist is back!

The Murder of Semia Dove & Other Trans and Gays

John317

• Moderators
  • Administrators

:( Sad...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Yes sad indeed, but the killing of all classes of people is sad.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I have to sort of chuckle when only certain murders are called "hate crimes". People don't murder other people because of the great love they have for them.

All murder has hate as it's basis. Jesus made this extremely clear, and I'm not about to argue with my Creator about the nature of human behavior, when He has an infinite understanding of human nature.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

Good point joeb

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

I have to sort of chuckle when only certain murders are called "hate crimes". People don't murder other people because of the great love they have for them.

All murder has hate as it's basis. Jesus made this extremely clear, and I'm not about to argue with my Creator about the nature of human behavior, when He has an infinite understanding of human nature.

Yes, of course, it is true that murder is never because of love. But people can be killed by an insane person or simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. A lot of murders are committed during the commission of a robbery. All those crimes are evil and tragic.

But I see something different when a person is killed because some people target him/her on account of hatred for a particular category of people, such as their color, race, religion, ethnicity, homelessness, and sexual orientation. It is one thing to be hurt by people's violence because you happen to be standing on a street-corner when the bullets start flying; it's quite different when it's because people hate you for what you look like, etc., and deliberately shoot you.

Is it possible that gays are targeted in this way because of the attitude that society at large-- perhaps even some in the church-- are perceived to have towards them: that the lives of some classes of people are not as valuable as others, and that it is OK to attack them either verbally or physically? Is it being made clear-- by both words and actions-- that their lives are every bit as valuable as anyone else's?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

New York Shooting Highlights Surge in Hate Crimes

by Eliza Shapiro May 20, 2013 5:20 PM EDT

Mark Carson was shot because he was gay. Straight people might be shocked, but the gay community says this is no surprise—hate crimes are rising. Eliza Shapiro reports.

Three days after a gay man was shot to death in an apparent hate crime in Greenwich Village, gay and straight mourners at a makeshift memorial for Mark Carson reacted to the news—albeit in slightly different ways.

EMMANUEL DUNAND

“I’m shocked, I’m completely speechless,” said a Bayonne, New Jersey, resident who gave her name as Blake and works in the Village. She held back tears as she read notes left for Carson on the corner where he was killed on Friday night.

In contrast, Harlem resident James Holmes, who was just leaving a class at the LGBT Community Center, said, “This sort of stuff happens all the time. It just doesn’t get written about that often.”

Such responses were echoed by neighborhood residents and tourists alike on Monday afternoon, where a small crowd had gathered to leave notes and flowers. A larger rally with local politicians was planned for later in the evening. Many straight Village residents said they were shocked that such a violent hate crime could still happen in 2013, even after marriage equality passed in New York State last year and with Christine Quinn, a lesbian, as the frontrunner to become the city’s next mayor.

But some gay men and women weren’t shocked at all, remarking that gay bashing was, sadly, nothing new—and hate crimes were on the rise again.

“Things are getting very, very nasty around here,” said Paul LaPlant, a longtime Village resident who was wearing an LGBT rainbow cap.

LaPlant was just down the street when Carson was killed. He said he heard a pop and saw a man on the sidewalk, but didn’t think he was dead.

“I should have known better,” LaPlant said, “I’m only surprised that it went that far. I think there’s a backlash against all the progress we’ve made. You can only go so far at one time without paying for it.”

Hate crimes against LGBT New Yorkers have been on the rise for the last three years, despite national decreases in anti-LGBT violence, according to data collected by the New York City Anti-Violence Project.

In 2011, the last year for which data is available, reports of hate violence against LGBT and HIV-affected New Yorkers rose 13 percent.

This was the first homicide in the NYPD’s West Village precinct this year, but there were 57 assaults recorded from January through today.

Friday’s homicide was the fifth antigay hate crime in New York in less than a month, says Sharon Staple, the executive director of the Anti-Violence Project.

“This is an issue that exists throughout the year for LGBT people in New York,” Staple said, “New Yorkers are starting to recognize that this is a real and present problem.” The Anti-Violence Project is now organizing community safety night on Fridays, where volunteers will pass out information on safety and resources for the LGBT community around New York City.

According to police, Carson was walking with a friend when he was approached by Elliot Morales, who threatened a local bartender with a gun and shouted antigay slurs at him just moments before he encountered Carson.

“You can only go so far at one time without paying for it.”

Morales, who was accompanied by two friends, allegedly approached Carson and his friend and asked, “What are you? Gay wrestlers? You want to die tonight?”

Morales then asked Carson if he and his friend were an item. When Carson replied yes, Morales allegedly shot him in the head with a revolver.

“It is clear that the victim here was killed only because and just because he was thought to be gay,” Ray Kelly, the NYPD commissioner, told The New York Times on Sunday.

Leaders of gay-advocacy groups say the hate crime is an extreme example of the discrimination that persists, despite progress in recent years.

“Just because we have marriage equality or a president who is supportive doesn’t mean that regular folks on the street have stopped facing discrimination,” says Glennda Testone, executive director of the LGBT Community Center. “This is a reminder that we are not immune just because we live on a particular street.”

Testone says straight allies in the neighborhood have been stopping by the center in recent days to express their condolences and ask what they can do to help.

“We can’t take our progress for granted,” she says, “we still need to be visible and strong.”

Back on the corner where Carson was shot, some passersby heard about Carson’s death for the first time as they saw a sign in the middle of the memorial reading, “A gay man was murdered here in a bias attack. Stop the hate.”

Others tucked roses into the door of a shuttered bookstore, wept, and dropped to their knees on the sidewalk to pray.

Jerome Wagens, who had been a close friend of Carson’s for two years, broke down in tears when he reached the memorial on the corner of West 8th Street and Sixth Avenue.

“This is where we hang out,” Wagens said. “This is our pizza spot. We go to the bars on this block. We clicked instantly as friends—we loved listening to the same music and hanging out.”

“He was just a really happy person. He spoke his mind and didn’t suppress who he was,” Wagens said. “He was happy being who he was.”

Eliza Shapiro is a reporter for The Daily Beast, covering breaking news, crime, and politics. Previously, she worked at Capital New York and edited Columbia’s undergraduate blog, Bwog.

Source & Photo:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/20/new-york-shooting-highlights-hate-crime-surge.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Farticles+%28The+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles%29

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Is it possible that gays are targeted in this way because of the attitude that society at large-- perhaps even some in the church-- are perceived to have towards them: that the lives of some classes of people are not as valuable as others, and that it is OK to attack them either verbally or physically? Is it being made clear-- by both words and actions-- that their lives are every bit as valuable as anyone else's?

John this is what I have been trying to say here for the last 3 years.

This obsessive attitude I have observed about homosexuality being such a horrible horrible sin totally leads to this kind of activity. One will always expect there will be your homophobic redneck good ol' boys that hate gays. Thats a fear based thing, men not secure in their own sexuality. I know a lot of guys like that, but I have never seen them spew the kind of venom towards gays that I have observed here and by Christian groups on the news. These peoples kids grow up with that attitude and yes it makes them view the lives of gays and transgender people as something less than that of straight people.

Agreed.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Administrators

homosexuality has no comparison to the sin of spiritual pride that dominated those who conspired to end Christ's life.

whenever we take to credit ourselves what only God has done in and through us, we fall into spiritual pride.

often the most well behaved and socially approved of fall into this one.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.