ClubAdventist is back!

Disillusion with religion

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

This is something that happened to me and to a lot of other people I know.

After "finding God" and deciding to be baptized and go back to church, I was all on fire to tell everyone how excited and happy I was. I was so willing to tell anyone and everyone of my experience.

I was told by other people who had been baptized about 1 year before me, that I would lose the "fire" and things would look very differently to me. I told them, "No way!"

But....they were right. As time passed, it seemed that nobody was interested in my testimony and didn't try to tell anyone any longer. Little by little I stopped praying, stopped reading the Bible, and stopped going to church.

Right now, I'm on the edge - I could go back to witchcraft, or I could resume trying to remake a relationship with God. Not quite certain what I'll do, but that's not the point of this thread.

I am wondering how many others have come up face-to-face with this type of disillusionment of their religious experience. Disillusionment with the church (SDA or otherwise), disillusionment with all things religious.

Please comment. (But please, no preaching or Bible thumping...that sort of thing drives people away....at least, it does me...)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LifeHiscost

• Gail

• hch

• debbym

Top Posters In This Topic

Same mileage here.

In thinking about it though, the members of the church I joined were also "on fire" at the time. It was an exciting time for that church--with a new pastor, an evangelistic series and a new Bible worker. Over time the enthusiasm for evangelism faded and when that happened, so did the enthusiasm for building relationships with the new members.

The courtship was over.

I also was on fire to tell the world. The problems I have, though, are with the denomination and the church and leaders. I still have a fire, though it is different than what I started with. I used to study and practice Wicca, long ago, decades before I went back to church.

I have decided to still have Bible studies, but the studies happen to be with people not of the SDA denomination, no denomination in fact. I am sorry, but I abhore organized religion and the man-made rules that they purport are God's rules and such. I don't like legalism and, unfortunately, that seems to be what the SDA is full of. Just the fact that they won't baptize someone unless that person joins the church is wrong to me. Baptism in the name of God, the Father and the Holy Spirit does not mean to baptize in the name of a specific denomination.

The fact that I was used and taken advantage of, financially and spiritually didn't help my case either.

• Members

Not always sure what is meant by "being on fire?" I do believe it means different things to different people. I have never thought of leaving. I do see and know that at some times I get discouraged at waiting, and waiting, than remember the promise in Revelation, I believe, that tells us to keep faithful till the end, etc., etc. So I don't think its just one or two, but probably many that have felt that way. I also believe Paul talks about encouraging each other at times like this.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

The fact that I was used and taken advantage of, financially and spiritually didn't help my case either.

In hindsight, what manner of caution would you have considered appropriate?

Originally Posted By: OzarkWoman

You have to understand that it all happened immediately after my husband had died.

Originally Posted By: OzarkWoman

thumbsup

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

This is something that happened to me and to a lot of other people I know.

After "finding God" and deciding to be baptized and go back to church, I was all on fire to tell everyone how excited and happy I was. I was so willing to tell anyone and everyone of my experience.

I was told by other people who had been baptized about 1 year before me, that I would lose the "fire" and things would look very differently to me. I told them, "No way!"

But....they were right. As time passed, it seemed that nobody was interested in my testimony and didn't try to tell anyone any longer. Little by little I stopped praying, stopped reading the Bible, and stopped going to church.

Right now, I'm on the edge - I could go back to witchcraft, or I could resume trying to remake a relationship with God. Not quite certain what I'll do, but that's not the point of this thread.

I am wondering how many others have come up face-to-face with this type of disillusionment of their religious experience. Disillusionment with the church (SDA or otherwise), disillusionment with all things religious.

I think that a person has to review their reasons for being a part of the religion they are involved in. Look at your spiritual journey and examine where you felt most like you belonged. Not comfortable as in it was easy and required the least effort, but where you felt most at harmony with yourself. In my opinion thats where you should be.

• Administrators

This happens to everyone, I think, at some point. But remember that Jesus said that what He would give people would be LIVING water, such as that one would not thirst again. He also promised everyone an abundant life. This is for you, for all those that come to Him. :)

Why not ask someone whom you think to live a life of faith and is godly what makes their spirituality vibrant, and what gets them through? Ask around and buddy up with someone who would share prayers with you, and the light that has blessed her.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Something just occurred to me recently, although it seems obvious it just "hit" me profoundly the other day.

The Bible... We know that it God's word to us. Despite all that people will say to make you believe that there are faults with it, those words still have the power to change lives and bring people to God.

But it never really gets old. As time goes on and our circumstances change and we grow or go through times of trial, the Bible is always appropriate to where we are. Passages that did not mean much to us at one time suddenly spring to life for us at another. It is like the old and new treasures that the householder brings out of his trunk.

There are treasures in there for you, too, Pam, some old ones and some that are new. Because you are newly married, those verses that pertain to marriage will come alive in a new way. And the ones that talk about God's love are always contemporary.

And don't worry about your testimony becoming old news. God will send you people that will be encouraged by it. That is YOUR real life story of how God led you. It is truth. Perhaps that is why those that overcome in Revelation do so by the blood of the Lamb AND the word of their testimony. It is because in their testimony is how they know God is real, by what He did for them in their lives.

Sorry... Didn't mean to sermonise. Although you might feel you are in a dry place, I see much potential there.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

The grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence. I suffer from double-mindedness myself. Have you heard the song "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen? It always reminds me of the most fun (and most sinful) era of my life - from age 18 to about age 30. That being said - I find myself yearning for the "good old days" more often than i should.

Yup - you could go back to witchcraft. From what I understand, you were really good at it. As a witch, you served a powerful, but vicious and vindictive master - remember what happened last time you p!ssed him off!

You have the same (even greater) power serving the Master you have recently been serving. The difference is that this Master is much more powerful; plus He is neither vicious nor vindictive. He won't try to kill you if you return to your previous ways; but He would be very sad over losing such a powerful warrior as yourself.

In the name of Jesus and by His authority, all power and influence of the evil one is broken, and you are protected by the true Master of the universe - God your Father! You are a daughter of the King of all things - not a slave of general of evil! In the name of Jesus, I proclaim His protection over you; and proclaim your victory in Christ! Stay with the ultimate winner of this cosmic battle!

(I hope you don't find the prayer too preachy!)

• Administrators

Amen! And since you are promised a vibrant, abundant life through Christ, I would not stop pursuing it until that is yours :)

• Moderators

Please comment. (But please, no preaching or Bible thumping...that sort of thing drives people away....at least, it does me...)

Do you love Jesus Christ? Do you believe in Him and in the Bible? If so, why would it matter what others do or think?

God is preparing us to stand all alone--- without family and without any friends or earthly support.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

Do you love Jesus Christ? Do you believe in Him and in the Bible? If so, why would it matter what others do or think?

God is preparing us to stand all alone--- without family and without any friends or earthly support.

thumbsup

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs

This is SO right on.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

I can really relate to your comments.

Just read this article called "the 14 day nutella challenge" by Rachel Lemons. and thought of this thread. i do love nutella.

Quote:
If you find yourself questioning that God will actually get involved in your story, just check out the fire of His passion for you in Psalm 18:6-14. Read it now! Experience a God who sees you as “the apple of his eye” (Deut. 32:10) and who longs for you to prove His existence through your relationship with Him. He longs for you to hear Him when He whispers your name. He longs for you to recognize His movement in your life as evidence of His love.

Your God is deeply involved in the human story. Contrary to all our low expectations of Him, He’s committed to doing exceeding abundantly more than what we can ask or imagine (Eph. 3:20, 21). Truly delight yourself in your relationship with Him, and you will hear and experience God as you never have before.

my thought is,our feelings go up and down and can drop to the lowlands for indefinite periods of time, but this does not change God's passion for us.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

my thought is,our feelings go up and down and can drop to the lowlands for indefinite periods of time, but this does not change God's passion for us.

My experience over the years verifies your comment here, debbym. I've been so down I told God goodbye because I just couldn't live for Him and I was so tired of making Him look bad. After that he carried me through some of the toughest times I've had in a life of hard times, and then brought me back into a better relationship with Him through nothing other than a miracle.

Don't give up, rudywoofs. God always has a plan even if we can't see it at present. He will bring you through anything, and I mean, anything, if you will just hang on. Your relationship with Him will be better than it's ever been on the other side of whatever it is He's leading you through right now. Whatever it is, it's His will. He's wanting to teach you something. I have no idea what it is, but just keep on asking Him what it is. You'll get your answer.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

I honestly do not mean to be rude to anyone, but the point of the thread doesn't really have to do with God's love for anyone, or whether I (or anyone else) believes in God or Christ.

Rather, the point is that people can get disillusioned with sharing a testimony or otherwise being involved with a religious (or any) group due to the words and actions demonstrated by others. If one doesn't have any positive response to one's words, one begins to doubt the veracity and importance of one's experience and/or very existence.

Cricket nailed it.

It does matter what other people think.

It does matter.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I honestly do not mean to be rude to anyone, but the point of the thread doesn't really have to do with God's love for anyone, or whether I (or anyone else) believes in God or Christ.

Rather, the point is that people can get disillusioned with sharing a testimony or otherwise being involved with a religious (or any) group due to the words and actions demonstrated by others. If one doesn't have any positive response to one's words, one begins to doubt the veracity and importance of one's experience and/or very existence.

Cricket nailed it.

Originally Posted By: cricket
It does matter what other people think.

It does matter.

And I don't mean to be rude either. But don't you think there is something that God is trying to teach you through this? It's been my experience that God always teaches us through these spiritual hard times.

Since I don't know you I couldn't even begin to guess what it is that He's wanting to teach you, but my experience tells me that there is a lesson He wants you to learn.

Our trials are what God uses to teach us what we can't learn any other way, and this is definitely a trial for you as it's affecting your spiritual life.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

Quote:

disallusioned

Adjective

Disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

Synonyms

disappointed

because we are so deeply social, and our relationships profoundly effect how we see and experience life. yes the failures of those in our church may have a deep effect on our life on the church. and members can unwittingly quench the spirit when others share their testimony. and it is heartbreaking.

i found incredible growth as i through faith and trust in God rose above my own reactions to the failures of others. and i have been deeply failed by church members, and family members and by strangers too. the human lot can be pretty wretched all around.

and i pray to be a lily on the swamp, blooming in the power and light of God despite whatever relational environment i find myself in.

i pray your disappointment will result in a greater power in your spiritual life too.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

Pam, people WILL let you down. They will. I don't like it, either. But that does not negate your experience nor your view on your experience. It is your truth and your history. And that is a gift that is between you and God. :)

• Administrators

I think also that a person's ability to understand and connect has to do also with the Holy Spirit and how much the Spirit has to do with the heart of the hearer. That is not the fault of the messenger at all.

The key words being, "heart," and "Spirit".

• Members

Thank you all...but I was just wondering if others have had the same experience as I had. I honestly wasn't looking for help in my situation. I'm doing okay.

• Members

thumbsup

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}