ClubAdventist is back!

Disillusion with religion

rudywoofs (Pam)

Quote:
my thought is,our feelings go up and down and can drop to the lowlands for indefinite periods of time, but this does not change God's passion for us.

deb

Love awakens love

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Wished I'd have said that! Amen!

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LifeHiscost

• Gail

• hch

• debbym

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
I mean, anything, if you will just hang on.

And the good news is that once you give your life to Him, this is His promise for you!

"...God has said,

“I will never fail you.

I will never abandon you.”So we can say with confidence,

“The Lord is my helper,

so I will have no fear.

What can mere people do to me?”"Hebrews 13:5-6 NLT

God cares! Claim His promise! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Quote:
Wished I'd have said that!

Spirit inspired Paul said it, and i love it too.

Romans 3:3-4

King James Version (KJV)

3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?

4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

deb

Love awakens love.

• Members

This thread has *so* turned into what I hadn't wanted it to be...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Quote:

I am wondering how many others have come up face-to-face with this type of disillusionment of their religious experience. Disillusionment with the church (SDA or otherwise), disillusionment with all things religious.

disillusion

To disillusion means to cause someone to realize that a belief or ideal they had was false.

(verb)

An example of disillusion is when you tell a small child that Santa isn't real.

Disillusion is defined as disappointment that you feel when you realize something you thought was true wasn't, or when you realize that something you thought was good is not as good as you believed it was.

(noun)

in continuing your dialogue, could you clarify?

does it seem your religious experience was not true?

are you seeing it through another lens from within? and not seeing the things you saw before that moved you to a deep public commitment?

i find lots of things in my life have brought me through this kind of experience. one was an incomplete integration of my faith within myself. i needed to bring my relationship with God to all the corners of my heart, and all the places in me that did not usually show up at church.

the material world is more real to our senses then the world of faith. and walking by faith is beyond ourselves. It is something we cannot come to or maintain without exercising faith and prayer, and growing within that framework.

i found by praying for others as any awareness of need came to my attention was a great blessing in growing my relationship to God. it was like an anchor to my faith in the present reality as it unfolded to my senses. and taking time to Just praise God. i am memorizing psalms 145, it is really nourishing to my heart.

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

Thank you all...but I was just wondering if others have had the same experience as I had. I honestly wasn't looking for help in my situation. I'm doing okay.

I wonder how many pastors have that experience with the responses to their sermons.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
But please, no preaching or Bible thumping

Interesting comment. I'm wondering just when a positive experience in a relationship with Jesus becomes no more than a thump. Sounds like a real bummer to me.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Probably about the time people started using it as a weapon to thump people with. I wonder if Jesus feels a bit put off by that........

Probably about the time people started using it as a weapon to thump people with. I wonder if Jesus feels a bit put off by that........

Judging from some of the stories in the bible, about past experiences of some of the old patriarchs, not to mention some of the new testament Christians, many an erstwhile servant of the Lord was thumped by his Master. Knowing God does not do things except in love, thumping seems to be needed by some. However it is true, to the believer who trusts in divine guidance, they more often than not learn from the thump, while the independent who believes they are quite good enough to handle themselves without outside interference, usually need more pain than just a thump from the Word.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
... people can get disillusioned with sharing a testimony or otherwise being involved with a religious (or any) group due to the words and actions demonstrated by others. If one doesn't have any positive response to one's words, one begins to doubt the veracity and importance of one's experience and/or very existence.

This thread has *so* turned into what I hadn't wanted it to be...

That happens a lot here - someone posts a concern about one issue and it morphs into something you never intended it to be.

Or someone posts something that is quite important to them; only to have responding posters imply how heretical and demonic their thoughts are (or what heretics and infidels they are). Even though it is rarely done (I hope) with malice and forethought, it is rather frustrating and discouraging when it does occur. The only One who gives positive responses that count is our heavenly Father. The approval (or non-approval) of men or women won't get anyone into the Kingdom. You are important, Pam. Your opinion matters here.

Ya, and some people seem to think that God goes around thumping people! He don't need to do that as humans are doing more than their fair share!

Yes, and I would imagine everyones experience is different. Church is an up and down thing for me. Not exactly disillusioned, but can sometimes be ambivilent about attendance. I can see the benefit of going but 'religion' has such a negative conatation now days, that I think more about the relationship part more. Don't really have a handle on it all, like you don't need the preaching and thumping, but for me it is more about 'listening'. Going by what I have been taught over the years it can be a rather 'scary' thing to think that 'religion' is not all that it is cracked up to be!!!

Quote:
and some people seem to think that God goes around thumping people!

" Then the thunder crashed and rolled, and lightning flashed. And a great earthquake struck—the worst since people were placed on the earth. The great city of Babylon split into three sections, and the cities of many nations fell into heaps of rubble. So God remembered all of Babylon’s sins, and he made her drink the cup that was filled with the wine of his fierce wrath."Revelation 16:18-19 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Is it possible that there are people who post here who are simply misunderstood by other people? It seems that way as a lot of what I see as genuine attempts to help are seen as attacks. Why? Prejudice against those posters? Prejudice against their message? I don't know. I only know that genuine attempts to help coming out of hearts that care deeply are seen as an attack.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

I'm in total agreement with you joeb.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I think that disillusionment is a normal part of life in general and religion is not an exception. I was listening to a great interview on NPR about a year ago dealing with this exact subject. The author of the book was talking of her life long search for God and how her disillusion with Christianity threatened her relationship with God. The author said the what helped her the most was getting out of her rut. She began looking for the smaller ups in her religious walk and stopped trying to get back to that initial baptized high. She also began being more active in living her Christianity than practicing it. She set out to volunteer in community services that she felt expressed the core values of helping her fellow man. She also took her study time outside of the traditional church setting. She said that getting back to the core relationship with her and God helped her not become disillusioned with religion because her focus was on the relationship not religion. I know when I go back to the basics of me loving God and ignore the organization of religion I find myself finding my passion again.

Rather, the point is that people can get disillusioned with sharing a testimony or otherwise being involved with a religious (or any) group due to the words and actions demonstrated by others. If one doesn't have any positive response to one's words, one begins to doubt the veracity and importance of one's experience and/or very existence.

If we look to others for our religious affirmations, we turn our gaze from Jesus (the only one who's commendations mean anything).

The self-confident religionists don't confirm others who struggle with their walk with Jesus, they criticize what they see as our short comings.

I once gave God the ultimatum to fix my situation within 2 weeks or I was going to turn my back on Him and start having fun instead of staying in a religious lifestyle that was anything but happy.

God did it in one week. Then He asked me why I waited so long to turn to Him for help.

Then when He got my head straight, He took everything away. First it was my high paying job. Then my family. Then the house. Then most of my SDA church friends. Then He taught me to depend on Him and gave me happiness in Jesus.

Now I focus on pleasing Jesus and He takes care of the positive approval rating. Occasionally I ask Him to give me some human feedback and He has never let me down.

just recently, an SDA professor (PHD) heard of my ministry; but called it foolishness right from the start. Then some friends encouraged him to read one of my books. He reluctantly did a turn about and contacted me.

He wanted to know who was proofing and editing it for me. It is a one man show. He then gave me some pointers saying, "I have been on numerous dissertation committees that have reviewed the research for PHD candidates... Your book is logical, well written, and the errors are few and readily correctable." He gave me back the book with his notes in the margin and I will revise it as soon as I finish my current project that I hope he will consent to edit as well.

Point being: God is in charge and if we need validation from human beings, God will put them in our path at the appropriate time. But don't rely on people to fill the heart's longing for Jesus.

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

• Administrators

Quote:
Point being: God is in charge and if we need validation from human beings, God will put them in our path at the appropriate time. But don't rely on people to fill the heart's longing for Jesus.

i absolutely agree we should not put people where only God belongs.

and i really want to know more about your ministry.

what are the books you have written, where might I find them.

deb

Love awakens love.

Pam, true disillusionment (in addition to being quite painful) is not reversible--it's a game changer--and you can't wish/pray/banish it away. For example, children believe in the physical existence of Santa, but as an adult we believe in the spirit of Christmas that Santa represents--it's unrealistic for an adult to maintain the same kind of belief in Santa because our critical thinking skill level and the complexity of maintaining the belief is typically not worth the emotional cost that it was at one point in our lives. I appreciate Shelly's post yesterday when she promoted not losing the principle behind a belief system once the application of the principle is no longer valid for us--kind of eases the loss/death of a way of life if we're able to carry a piece with us in a useful way as we continue to grow.

Quote:
#636239 - Yesterday at 22:39

Great testimony. I followed a somewhat similar path, with what I thought was a way for improving my ability in personal ministry, especially for those who suffer so much deprivation in necessary earthly provision, wherever I might find them. Within a short while I had lost far more than if I had just given what I invested, directly to those in need. Right about that time I "ran into" some divine counsel indicating I had just done what God didn't want His servants to do.

The lesson learned? Spend more time with personal supplication for the Spirit's guidance before casting one's bread upon the water.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Yes, I agree with Life, your testimony is excellent. Mine is not so different ... guess we have to lose our high paying jobs, nice homes etc. before we can fully focus on the Cross. Courage brother.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Yes, I agree with Life, your testimony is excellent. Mine is not so different ... guess we have to lose our high paying jobs, nice homes etc. before we can fully focus on the Cross. Courage brother.

Thanks, Naomi. And you don't have to agree with me to earn my thanks for I always experience the Holy Spirit speaking to me through your posts, as is the same with some of the other brothers and sisters on CA I prefer to call a part of the Body of Christ. Keep looking up!

"For I want to use the authority the Lord has given me to strengthen you, not to tear you down.

Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.

Greet each other with Christian love."2 Cor 13:10-12 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

i absolutely agree we should not put people where only God belongs.

and i really want to know more about your ministry.

what are the books you have written, where might I find them.

Thanks Deb,

For the encouragement.

I have written several books on Bible prophecy (Daniel [and Revelation]). An SDA professor (retired PHD) formerly at Andrews has recently discovered my book Echoes of Doomsday, which he graciously proof read. He said that it was exceptional considering that I wrote it, proofed it, and did everything from the beginning through the publication. He gave me some wonderful pointers that I will put into the book when I revise the current edition to reflect his input.

I'll post an excerpt from my newest book (a verse by verse commentary on Daniel) here for you to review

Blessings,

His child Henry 

This is the Preface from my book on Daniel. I cherish your feedback.

Daniel Study

When Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation Monday February 11, 2013, were you expecting it or was it an unexpected surprise? As a Student of Bible Prophecy, I have been giving the warning faithfully for one year prior to his resignation that Pope Benedict XVI would leave office by the Spring of 2013.

Don’t be the last to know. Follow me, the Loudcryer, on Twitter!

This is a complete list of my Benedict tweets (dates added):

Pope Benedict XVI has but a very short time left (3 September 2011)

#Pope Benedict XVI marks his last year with a Latin America trip that includes a visit to #Cuba (23 March 2012)

With Benedict XVI in his last year, Who’s going to be the new pope? (3 April 2012)

Is Pope Benedict going to be pope in 2013? (29 April 2012)

Months ago I tweeted that pope Benedict XVI is a short timer.

Now Vatican power play is news! Y u b last 2 know? (28 May 2012)

If Pope Benedict’s 8th year is really his 7th, his time ends before May 2013 (7 July 2012)

Pope Benedict’s 8th year is really his 7th, because his ascension year was John-Paul II’s last year. Will Benedict XVI’s 7th year B his last (8 August 2012)

Pope #Benedict XVI As I read Daniel’s prophecy, 7’s number of completeness. His ascension year (zero) 2005. He might last till spring 2013? (30 September 2012)

Pope Benedict announced this morning (Monday February 11, 2013) that he is resigning as of 28 February 2013.

Let me show you from Daniel how I confidently tweet this (before the fact).

“Who… can declare this, and show us former things? Let them bring forth their witnesses…or let them hear, and say, It is truth. Ye are My witnesses, saith the LORD…believe Me, and understand that I am He: before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside Me there is no Savior. I have declared…and I have showed… therefore ye are My witnesses…” (Isaiah 43:9-12). “Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper” (1 Chronicles 29:29).

“Whatsoever things are true… honest… just… pure… lovely… of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” (Philippians 4:8). “For yet a little while, and He that shall come will come…” (Hebrews 10:37).

Christ asked if a lighted candle should be put on a candlestick or hidden beneath a bushel. While God’s people are working to get God’s message to the world: to PUT-OUT THE LIGHT, the agents of Satan are actively attempting to PUT-OUT THE LIGHT of truth by extinguishing it. But God’s word will accomplish that which He has ordained for it will not return to Him void. How will you PUT-OUT THE LIGHT? Be faithful! Rejoice in God’s salvation!

Are all the prophets’ writings in the Bible? Where is Nathan’s book? (cf. 2 Samuel 7:2) What of the Church fathers and the inspired writers who may have come later?

Sixty-six books in the Bible canon complete it. But what of material from non-Bible sources that shed light on the Scriptures by explaining the prophecies like those in Daniel and Revelation? The test used here is not who said what, but whether what they said is true.

“The prophecies of Daniel and of John are to be understood. They interpret each other. They give to the world truths which everyone should understand. These prophecies are to be witnesses in the world. By their fulfillment in these last days they will explain themselves.”

“All prophetic exposition which deals with the future should be held as TENTATIVE until fulfillment. However, prophecy is also clearly defined in Scripture as a LIGHT on the pathway of future events. This tension between a desire to know that which God is seeking to reveal to us regarding future events and the cautious tentative attitude is one more evidence of that delicate balance which exists between faith and works on the way to heaven. This very tension keeps the Christian humble, looking to Jesus as he makes his way day by day, step by step toward the kingdom.”

Because Daniel has been sealed until “the time of the end” (Daniel 12:4), it is astonishing to witness that those things prophesied in the Bible so many years ago are today’s Present Truth. Thus the biblical interpretations here are self-evident now that Daniel and Revelation are being fulfilled in current events. This study of Daniel’s prophecy is the most up-to-date available.

Prayerful Bible study reveals that the world is poised to wonder after the beast. Because it is vitally important to know the Present Truth about the beast and the mark of the beast, the Bible reveals truth even if that vilifies people (living or dead) or a religion or system of belief, or a mighty nation. The consequences of misunderstanding the truth are evident in the parable of the Ten Virgins, who individually dozed even becoming indifferent to their salvation while the Midnight Cry (Present Truth) sounded (cf. Strong).

But when Satan’s behind-the-scenes activities are exposed, his rage will know no end. Sincere people who were unaware that they have been or are being deceived will flee his cause as fast as they can. Unfortunately, another class will deny Present Truth and stay in their comfort zone as did the majority in Noah’s Day. Even though God sent an ark to save them at His appointed time, a preacher preaching a message of righteousness, and 120-years to sort it out, the prevailing mindset was to wait and see. Then when the TRUTH was clearly seen (it was raining), there was no doubt: it was too late! Present Truth ignored, denied, and neglected for whatever reason was though it had never been.

“The world is to be warned, and God’s people are to be true to the trust committed to them. They are not to engage in speculation…”

“Are we to wait until the fulfillment of the prophecies of the end before we say anything concerning them? Of what value will our words be then? Shall we wait until God’s judgments fall upon the transgressor before we tell him how to avoid them? Where is our faith in the word of God? Must we see things foretold come to pass before we will believe what He has said?

In clear, distinct rays light has come to us, showing us that the great day of the Lord is near at hand, ‘even at the doors.’ [Matthew 24:33.] Let us read and understand before it is too late.”

Blessings,

His child Henry 

This is the first chapter (draft) from my book on Daniel. The final version is more decisive. Rather than just present info about Daniel, it is time to call for decisions. These are the facts, what does it mean to you?

I firmly believe that it is the wishy washy Christianity that leads to the disillusion with religion that is making Ladicea LUKEWARM, so much so that we make Christ nauseous.

From Jerusalem to Cyrus

Daniel 1

“Read the book of Daniel. Call up, point by point, the history of the kingdoms there represented. Behold statesmen, councils, powerful armies, and see how God wrought to abase the pride of men, and lay human glory in the dust. God alone is represented as great. In the vision of the prophet He is seen casting down one mighty ruler, and setting up another. He is revealed as the monarch of the universe, about to set up His everlasting kingdom--the Ancient of days, the living God, the Source of all wisdom, the Ruler of the present, the Revealer of the future. Read, and understand how poor, how frail, how short-lived, how erring, how guilty is man in lifting up his soul unto vanity.”

Daniel 1:1

“In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.”

When good King Josiah died in battle, his youngest son, Shallum (Jehoahaz), succeeded him. Pharaoh Nekau II (Necho) 610-595 BC deposed him and installed Eliakim as king (610-600) who he renamed: Jehoiakim [Jehovah raises up]. He was the father of King Jehoiachin and his 3rd year was 607 BC; the year Nebuchadnezzar besieged Jerusalem. During the siege, Crown Prince Nebuchadnezzar’s father died, and he left his army to take Jerusalem while he hurried back to Babylon (605BC) to secure his throne.

Daniel 1:2

“And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.”

Not by military might: the Lord gave Jehoiakim to the Babylonians (cf. Daniel 2:21 & Jeremiah 24:8-10) and the silver and gold vessels from the Temple (cf. 2 Samuel 8:10-11) in fulfillment of Isaiah’s prediction (cf. Isaiah 39:6-7; 2 Kings 20:17; Genesis 9:1; 11:1-4; and 10:8, 10). The vessels, which he took, can also be symbolic of men or women captives (cf. 2 Timothy 2:21; 1 Peter 3:7 and 2 Kings 20:16-18). And the year that Nebuchadnezzar had the vision cited in Daniel 2 Jehoiakim rebelled (cf. 2 Kings 23:29-24:1).

Daniel 1:3

“And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king’s seed, and of the princes;”

Ashpenaz (Persian name with no English translation) was the master of Nebuchadnezzar’s eunuchs. Having a master denotes slavery or servitude (cf. Genesis 9:25; 1 Samuel 25:10). Before the Babylonian captivity, the prophet had said, “I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the LORD said, These have no master” (1 Kings 22:17). That is still problematic “for one is your Master, even Christ” (Matthew 23:8). The Jews that had rejected Jesus in times gone by have passed their error to their posterity until this day.

The captives taken to Babylon were: 1) children of Israel, 2) of the king’s seed, and 3) princes. Eunuchs may be officials in the government or castrated men. Isaiah prophesied that the Jewish princes in Babylon were to be castrated men. “Thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep My Sabbaths, and choose the things that please Me, and take hold of My covenant; even unto them will I give in Mine house and within My walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters” (Isaiah 56:4-5).

Daniel 1:4

“Children in whom was no blemish, but well favored, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.”

The term children is not linked to the ages of the captives. It is used like the phrase, children of Israel.

Daniel 1:5

“And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king’s meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king.”

The king took care of his captives. Food from his table would assumedly be the best in Babylon. “But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he…is worse than an infidel” (1 Timothy 5:8). Their three year education included Nebuchadnezzar’s ascension year and the next two-years.

Daniel 1:6

“Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah:”

Other captives from Judah were there as well (cf. Daniel 1:10). Daniel is God’s Contender; Hananiah literally means, The Lord is Gracious; Mishael, Who is what God is; and Azariah is Whom Jehovah helps.

Daniel 1:7

“Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.”

The Babylonians attempted to eliminate the references to God in the names of these captives while giving homage to Babylonian gods for the conquest of Jerusalem: Baal, the moon god, and Nebo (Nabu, cf. Isaiah 46:1). But in spite of their situation and their new names, Daniel and his three companions continued to stand for God.

Daniel 1:8

“But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.”

Meat is food. The Bible gives many examples of God’s people being more concerned about their food and livelihood than about following Him (cf. Lamentations 1:19; Hosea 11:4; & Psalms 78:18-25). With food trials, God proved Adam and Eve (Genesis 3), Israel during the Exodus, Daniel, Christ in the wilderness (cf. Matthew 4:1-11 and Luke 4:1-13), and Peter on the housetop (Acts 10:9-13); He will continue to prove His people. God’s people in the endtime will not be able to buy and sell anything not even food (cf. Revelation 13:17).

“Daniel … was beset with temptations of which we have never dreamed, and he realized that he must keep his body under. He purposed in his heart that he would not drink of the king’s wine or eat of his dainties. He knew that in order to come off a victor, he must have clear mental perceptions that he might discern between right and wrong. While he was working on his part, God worked also, and gave him ‘knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.’ [Daniel 1:17] This is the way God worked for Daniel; and He does not propose to do any differently now. Man must cooperate with God in carrying out the plan of salvation.”

While these captives were being tempted with delicacies at the king’s table in Babylon, the prophet Jeremiah was being starved in Jerusalem (cf. Jeremiah 37:21). “He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger…that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD” (Deuteronomy 8:3). As abundant blessings testified of God’s love for His people, so do the food trials.

Because Daniel accepted God’s instruction, he decided not to become defiled by the king’s food. God said it, Daniel obeyed! “I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves [by eating]…any manner of creeping thing …. For I am the LORD … your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy...make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between… [what] may be eaten and… [what] may not be eaten” (cf. Leviticus 11:44-47).

“Daniel and his companions knew not what would be the result of their decision; they knew not but that it would cost them their lives; but they determined to keep the straight path of strict temperance even when in the courts of licentious Babylon.”

“As Daniel and his fellows were brought to the test, they placed themselves fully on the side of righteousness and truth. They did not move capriciously, but intelligently. They decided that as flesh-meat had not composed their diet in the past, it should not come into their diet in the future, and as wine had been prohibited to all who should engage in the service of God, they determined that they would not partake of it. The fate of the sons of Aaron had been presented before them, and they knew that the use of wine would confuse their senses, that the indulgence of appetite would be-cloud their powers of discernment. These particulars were placed on record in the history of the children of Israel as a warning to every youth to avoid all customs and practices and indulgences that would in any way dishonor God.”

And the Chaldeans most likely also offered portions from their meals to idols/devils prior to serving it like the Gentiles of Paul’s day (cf. 1 Corinthians 8). “For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eats with offense. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak. Have you faith?

Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he that condemns not himself in that thing which he allows. And he that doubts is damned if he eat, because he eats not of faith: for whatever is not of faith is sin” (Romans 14:20-23, AKJV).

Daniel 1:9

“Now God had brought Daniel into favor and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs.”

Why was Daniel shown favor? “When a man’s ways please the LORD, He maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him” (Proverbs 16:7). “For Thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favor” (Psalms 5:12).

“This officer saw in Daniel good traits of character. He saw that he was striving to be kind and helpful, that his words were respectful and courteous, and his manner possessed the grace of modesty and meekness. It was the good behavior of the youth that gained for him the favor and love of the prince.”

Daniel 1:10

“And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? Then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king.”

Ashpenaz feared to countermand the king’s orders and his fear was well founded. The wise men that could not comply with King Nebuchadnezzar’s command were sentenced to death. But Daniel refused to defy God’s clear instructions as the children of your sort had done, the other Jewish captives that obeyed the king’s command.

Do Christians today refuse to disobey the word of God? Most of Christendom has been overcome by the view that God has changed His dietary laws. Some of Paul’s writings seem to throw-out the Old Testament’s do’s and don’ts regarding what is suitable for food and what is not to be eaten. But remember, Paul was an Old Testament scholar. When he makes a statement like: “every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving” (1 Timothy 4:4), he is writing within the context of his knowledge of the word of God that makes a distinction between the clean and the unclean. Thus basic Bible knowledge is needed to keep Paul’s comments within their proper context.

What was Paul’s example? Though he did not have any say in his birth in “the tribe of Benjamin” (Romans 11:1), he recognized God’s blessing to allow him to be born in Israel’s remnant. And when he said of himself that he was a “Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee ” (Philippians 3:5), he made it clear that he was educated in regards to the exact meaning of the Law of Moses (cf. Luke 11:38, & Acts 15:5). With his Pharisaical education, Paul did not eat filthy animals nor did he teach others to do so. But his teaching that God has said everything was fit for food and should be accepted with thankfulness has been torn from his belief about the teaching of clean and unclean animals that was so self-evident that there was no need to restate this fundamental teaching in his instruction.

It is like giving the car keys to a designated driver. They may not know some of the particulars about a friend’s car, but they would not need to have all the fundamentals of driving reviewed before they could take the wheel. They know the basics like Paul’s audience knew Moses’ guidelines.

When Paul’s words were torn from his beliefs; those that came after interpreted him to mean that everything should be eaten with thankfulness, which he clearly did not intend. Thus it has come to pass as Peter warned of the potential for problems when Paul’s words are taken out of context: “Our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction” (2 Peter 3:15-16).

Many Christians are now “making the word of God of none effect” through tradition. Remember Christ’s caution: “Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him; because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats? And He said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: all these evil things come from within, and defile the man” (Mark 7:13-23). By this, did Christ thus teach His disciples that He had changed God’s health laws? No!

Nor did the Apostles teach that Jesus did away with the dietary laws found in the books of Moses. They wrote to the Gentiles commanding them to “abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.” In fact, they took for granted that the Gentiles understood and accepted God’s dietary laws as still being binding. “For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day” (Acts 15:20-21). But after Calvary, the Gentiles needed clarification to explain that the laws relating to the offering of sacrifices were now obsolete.

The Apostles knew that Jesus did not do away with the health laws and they did not nullify them; they reaffirm that Gentile Christians should obey God’s health laws. But while the Apostles’ instructions omitted the rules that related to the sacrificing of animals, they reaffirmed that obedience to God’s Mosaic health laws are still binding upon Christians as evident in their brief statement: abstain … from things strangled and from blood. And these admonitions are taken directly from God’s laws given to Moses.

“Turn ye not unto idols” (Leviticus 19:4, see 20:5; 26:1 and 30). The meaning of do not fornicate is explained in Leviticus, i.e., a man having sex with a menstruating woman (15:24; 20:18); adultery (20:10), perverted sexual relations with family members, homosexuality, and sex between people and animals (20:11-15, & 20).

The prohibition against eating blood goes back to Noah’s time (Genesis 9:4; cf. Deuteronomy 12:23-24 and Leviticus 17:13-14; 19:26). And the injunction forbidding Christians from eating strangled animals encompasses a warning to avoid meats that have not had their blood properly drained, which includes animals that die of natural causes (Leviticus 11:39 & Deuteronomy 14:21). But even if the Old Testament was unclear, the Apostles’ simple New Testament instructions: abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood are disregarded by most nominal Christians today.

The Apostles clearly commanded Christians to abstain from blood. But how many Christians wash the blood from their burgers and juicy red steaks? Even though the Apostles’ teachings are very clear, why do most Christians not obey them? When God’s health laws are disregarded, everything in His holy word looses value like the commands against fornication and homosexuality, sins that are identified a few pages away from the commands not to eat blood or shellfish. Is it any wonder that the prohibitions against sexual immorality are also disregarded today?

Peter had a vision in which he was commanded to eat unclean animals. Does that vision from Heaven justify eating anything and everything? “Peter … became hungry and desired to eat. But as they were making ready an ecstasy came upon him: and he beholds the heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending, as a great sheet, bound by the four corners and let down to the earth; in which were all the quadrupeds and creeping things of the earth, and the fowls of the heaven. And there was a voice to him, Rise, Peter, slay and eat” (Acts 10:9-13, Darby).

Should God’s people now eat such things? Did the vision change the filthy animals that God had declared unfit for human consumption into food? No!

Peter gave the dream’s correct interpretation: “Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean” (Acts 10:28).

Since Peter stated that God showed him this truth, was it God that told Peter to eat the filthy animals? But “Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean” (10:14). Why had Peter never eaten anything that was unclean? Because he obeyed God’s word! And Peter never taught that his vision transformed unclean non-food animals into food.

Is Peter’s response to the vision significant for Christians today? In the Scriptures, Jesus gave Peter authority to bind and loosen: “Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven” (Matthew 18:18).

By refusing to unbind the sheet and to eat filthy animals, did Peter unbind Christians from the commands that God gave to Moses? No! He reaffirmed them! When God told Peter to eat the filthy animals bound in the sheet, Peter refused to obey the voice from Heaven that gave a message that was different from the word of God. Then when Peter passed the food test, he understood and taught that man’s rules against associating with foreigners were done away. The filthy animals remained bound and they were taken away uneaten. Based on this vision, Peter did not loosen Christians from their duty to obey God’s health laws regarding unclean non-food animals because God has not changed His word! But Peter did loose man from an obligation to follow man made traditions like the one that kept the Jews from evangelizing the Gentiles.

This is especially important for Christians to understand. Peter, like Daniel, passed God’s dietary test. But many Christians now fail it. Remember:

“I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ” (Galatians 1:6-12).

Sin entered the world when a sinless man disobeyed God by eating fruit stolen from a living tree. And salvation came when sinful men nailed the living Christ to a dead tree on Calvary, as if sinners could replace the stolen fruit with the fruit of the womb, “Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree” (Acts 5:30). God “made Him to be sin for us…that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

To be made the righteousness of God, we must do right. God specifically instructed everyone not to eat pigs. “The swine…it is unclean…ye shall not eat of their flesh” (Deuteronomy 14:8). Through Isaiah’s writings, it is clear that that instruction applies to everyone, Jews and Gentiles: The slain of the LORD shall be many of all nations. They that sanctify themselves [claim to be holy] while eating swine’s flesh and the abomination that God forbids are deceived in their sin of disobedience. They will be consumed together with the abominations that they are eating (cf. Isaiah 66:16-18).

Choose to obey the Lord because you love Him! Do not choose to disobey and rebel because you love your bellies more.

“Mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly)” [Philippians 3:17-19]. “To obey is better than sacrifice… Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry” (1 Samuel 15:22-23).

Most Christians struggle with a dilemma today. Since Daniel, the Apostles, Peter, Paul, and Jesus did not eat unclean animals, how can Christians promote the notion that eating an abomination is acceptable to God? Since Christians are supposed to be Christlike, why do so many fail to follow Christ’s pure example and that of His disciples?

Jesus is the ultimate example. “It is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Peter 1:16). And when the devils begged Him, “‘Send us into the herd of swine.’ ‘Go,’ He replied. Then they came out from the men and went into the swine” (Matthew 8:31-32, WNT). After Jesus cast the devils into the swine, did He later cleanse the swine or instruct His followers to eat the devil possessed pigs? Since Christians testify that Jesus dwells in them by their eating the bread and drinking the wine at communion, what is their testimony when they eat the pigs inhabited by devils? “Ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s meat and of the meat of devils” (1 Corinthians 10:21).

None of the animals that God excludes from man’s diet are essential to sustain our life. To the contrary, eating unclean animals shortens life both now and for eternity (cf. Isaiah 66:17). God knows what food is. Daniel and the Apostles trusted God’s word. God’s followers know what the Scriptures say, and they obey them.

Daniel’s life of obedience shows that God’s faithful servant was not cast off, but he was blessed and sustained in positions of honor while the disobedient faded into obscurity. The Lord will tolerate fence straddling for only so long. “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot…so then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of My mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16).

Daniel 1:11

“Then said Daniel to Melzar, whom the prince of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.”

The issue was choosing to obey God or man. Thus when Daniel failed to sway Ashpenaz, he tactfully approached Melzar, a steward, the guardian set over them.

Daniel 1:12

“Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.”

Pulse is vegetables and legumes. When Daniel and his companions rejected the defective Babylonian diet, they must have earnestly prayed for God’s help. The proof was to be in their countenance or appearance. Do Christ’s followers settle for veggies today?

“Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God” (Romans 12:2). “Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.” “Hope thou in God for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance… I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God” (Psalms 26:2; 42:5, 11).

The trial is nothing compared to the reward, but so many live for today only. Is it best to act like Daniel or Esau? “‘For one morsel of meat,’ for a momentary gratification of appetite that had never been restrained … [Esau] saw his folly, it was too late to recover the blessing. ‘He found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.’ Hebrews 12:16, 17. …His grief did not spring from conviction of sin; he did not desire to be reconciled to God. He sorrowed because of the results of his sin, but not for the sin itself.

“Because of his indifference to the divine blessings and requirements …he represents those who lightly value the redemption purchased for them by Christ, and are ready to sacrifice their heirship to heaven for the perishable things of earth. Multitudes live for the present, with no thought or care for the future. …They cry, ‘Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we die.’ 1 Corinthians 15:32. They are controlled by inclination; and rather than practice self-denial, they will forgo the most valuable considerations. If one must be relinquished, the gratification of a depraved appetite or the heavenly blessings promised only to the self-denying and God-fearing, the claims of appetite prevail, and God and heaven are virtually despised. How many, even of professed Christians, cling to indulgences that are injurious to health and that benumb the sensibilities of the soul. When the duty is presented of cleansing themselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God, they are offended. They see that they cannot retain these hurtful gratifications and yet secure heaven, and they conclude that since the way to eternal life is so strait, they will no longer walk therein.

“Multitudes are selling their birthright for sensual indulgence. Health is sacrificed, the mental faculties are enfeebled, and heaven is forfeited; and all for a mere temporary pleasure--an indulgence at once both weakening and debasing in its character. …It was too late to recover his loss, so it will be in the day of God with those who have bartered their heirship to heaven for selfish gratifications.”

Daniel 1:13

“Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king’s meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.”

The Lord had promised, “In that day I will perform…all things which I have spoken…when I begin, I will also make an end…” (1 Samuel 3:12). “Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye” (Acts 4:19).

Daniel 1:14-16

“So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days. At the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king’s meat. Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.”

“In taking this step, Daniel did not act rashly. He knew that by the time he was called to appear before the king, the advantage of healthful living would be apparent. Cause would be followed by effect. Daniel said to Melzar, who had been given charge of him and his companions: ‘Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat and water to drink.’ Daniel knew that ten days would be time enough to prove the benefit of abstemiousness…”

The food test that separated those who obeyed God from those who refused (when it meant disobeying the king) foreshadows endtime events when it is required to have the Mark of the Beast to buy food. Because Daniel and his faithful friends obeyed God, the Lord intervened on their behalf. They were given optimal health and positions of responsibility. As their trust in God increased, He preserved their lives supernaturally. God is able!

“Having done this, Daniel and his companions did still more. They did not choose as companions those who were agents of the prince of darkness. They did not go with a multitude to do evil. They secured Melzar as their friend, and there was no friction between him and them. They went to him for advice, and at the same time enlightened him by the wisdom of their deportment.”

Daniel 1:17

“As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.”

Those after their sort that failed the food test are not heard of again. Those having an obedient love for God were blessed and sustained by God. Their love for Him grew still stronger.

“They did not feel that the blessing of the Lord was a substitute for the taxing effort required of them. They were diligent in study; for they discerned that through the grace of God their destiny depended upon their own will and action. They were to bring all their ability to the work; and by close, severe taxation of their powers, they were to make the most of their opportunities for study and labor.

“While these youth were working out their own salvation, God was working in them to will and to do of His good pleasure. Here are revealed the conditions of success. To make God’s grace our own, we must act our part. The Lord does not propose to perform for us either the willing or the doing. His grace is given to work in us to will and to do, but never as a substitute for our effort. Our souls are to be aroused to cooperate. The Holy Spirit works in us that we may work out our own salvation. This is the practical lesson the Holy Spirit is striving to teach us.”

“Daniel and his three companions had a special work to do. Although greatly honored in this work, they did not become in any way exalted. They were scholars, being skilled in secular as well as religious knowledge; but they had studied science without being corrupted. They were well-balanced because they had yielded themselves to the control of the Holy Spirit. These youth gave to God all the glory of their secular, scientific, and religious endowments. Their learning did not come by chance; they obtained knowledge by the faithful use of their powers; and God gave them skill and understanding.”

Those who truly desire to follow Christ must obtain knowledge by the faithful use of their powers. If that which the Lord has clearly revealed is not obeyed, knowledge will be forgotten.

“True science and Bible religion are in perfect harmony. … Do not give … the impression that greater educational advantages are to be obtained by mingling with those who do not seek wisdom from God. The great men of Babylon were willing to be benefited by the instruction that God gave through Daniel, to help the king out of his difficulty by the interpretation of his dream. But they were anxious to mix in their heathen religion with that of the Hebrews. Had Daniel and his fellows consented to such a compromise, they would, in the view of the Babylonians, have been complete as statesmen, fit to be entrusted with the affairs of the kingdom. But the four Hebrews entered into no such arrangement. They were true to God, and God upheld them and honored them. The lesson is for us. ‘Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.’ [Matthew 6:33]”

Daniel 1:18

“Now at the end of the days that the king had said he should bring them in, then the prince of the eunuchs brought them in before Nebuchadnezzar.”

Daniel links the end of the days to the end of three years. He later links symbolic days to prophetic years.

Daniel 1:19-20

“And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore stood they before the king. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.”

“As in the case of Daniel, in exact proportion as the spiritual character is developed, the intellectual capabilities are increased.”

Daniel 1:21

“And Daniel continued even unto the first year of King Cyrus.”

The captivity of Judah and fall of Jerusalem echo man’s fall in Eden. In contrast to Adam and Eve’s failure, Daniel and friends demonstrate that faithfulness to God is both doable and desirable. And King Cyrus’ restoration of Jerusalem foreshadows Christ’s Advent.

“O Jerusalem…how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see Me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord” (Luke 13:34-35).

“In the destruction of the impenitent city,” Jesus “saw a symbol of the final destruction to come upon the world.”

Cyrus as God’s anointed (Isaiah 45:1) is symbolic of Christ, who said of Himself, “The Spirit of the Lord … hath anointed Me” (Luke 4:18 & 21). And Cyrus dried up the Euphrates River when he toppled Babylon, which foreshadows what Christ will do in the endtime: “the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared” (Revelation 16:12).

“In old time Cyrus was called to the throne of the world’s empire that he might set free the captives of the Lord.” And “Cyrus made known his desire to provide for the return of the Hebrews.”

And as Cyrus released Israel from the Babylonian captivity, Jesus will release His people from their captivity to sin. Compare the mission of Cyrus, “he is My shepherd, and shall perform all My pleasure” (Isaiah 44:28) to that of Christ, “I am the good shepherd, and know My sheep” (John 10:14).

“The advent of the army of Cyrus before the walls of Babylon was to the Jews a sign that their deliverance from captivity was drawing nigh. More than a century before the birth of Cyrus, Inspiration had mentioned him by name, and had caused a record to be made of the actual work he should do in taking the city of Babylon unawares, and in preparing the way for the release of the children of the captivity. Through Isaiah the word had been spoken.”

This study has covered Daniel chapter 1. There are 11 more in the series. Let me know when you are ready for Daniel 2.

Blessings,

His child Henry