ClubAdventist is back!

If you're a bad SDA . . . .

shelly

• Administrators

It is becoming more and more difficult to be a good SDA ... dietary wise. There was a time in my neck of the woodsthat if you didn't smoke or drink home-brew or eat unclean meats you could hold your head up and be considered a GOOD SDA.

Now many people make issues about no meat pot-lucks and eat it all week at home. This is proof of dietary evolution which makes it even more difficult ... first just vegetarian was acceptable, then just being a vegetarian was not good enough, lacto-veg. orto-lacto veg., gluten free, vegan (actually so many variations of vegetarianism, demanding all new receipts with ingredients not indigenous to most areas. And, have no real taste, etc. heaven forbid that you grab a salt shaker or pepper to make it eatable, Of course, no tea or coffee ... but if you are sleepy afterwards grab a good, cold Dr Pepper.

To solve the problem of who can, and will eat what, at our fellowship meals we purchased little plastic markers so we could write the ingredients on them, making it easier for members to know what they are eating.

I understand the principals of good health, keeping our body pure, etc but most of this is also designed to help you live longer ... personally I can't afford to live a long time ..... I have spent my money on all the new foods, juices and vitamins designed to make me healthy ... jk'ng ... well maybe

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LifeHiscost

• Gail

• JoeMo

• joeb

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

A sin?

Last time I checked, chicken was a clean meat.

Let's not make sins where none exist. There are plenty of things the Bible forbids without making up extra sins out of those that it allows.

AJ

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

• Administrators

Quote:
This is proof of dietary evolution which makes it even more difficult ... first just vegetarian was acceptable, then just being a vegetarian was not good enough, lacto-veg. orto-lacto veg., gluten free, vegan (actually so many variations of vegetarianism, demanding all new recipes with ingredients not indigenous to most areas.

oh in my area we have the raw food movement too. if you are to be perfect for translation go back to the Eden raw food diet. and be ashamed if you don't.

i think it may be about shame.

somehow if we are pure enough we will have no shame. mood altering with food can result in "proper" Christian behavior.

my only purity is the purity of Jesus, and i hold it by faith. and if i am not functioning very well my halo will slip, and everyone will sees, it is not me that is any good, it is only Jesus.

and this Jesus accepts and deeply loves, and greatly blesses only unworthy and imperfect people. the perfect people are not allowed in His Kingdom.

shhhhh ...maybe we should not tell them.

btw i love eating raw, and do it usually for a spell in the summer when all the fresh stuff abounds, and it makes me feel great. everyone should try it. but i have not had the courage to go to the raw foods club, where everyone looks a perfect size 5 and emaciated.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

rollingsmilecool2ROFLROFL

Yep, we sure do...and tasty it is as well....!

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: Gail
Well, you know, Joeb, we are supposed to pass over a sin at times...

The meal was wonderful, though, with much greens and quinoa and a lasagna made of zucchini instead of pasta.

A sin?

Let's not make sins where none exist. There are plenty of things the Bible forbids without making up extra sins out of those that it allows.

AJ

I agree, Aldona. I was being tongue-in-cheek, as I am thinking Joeb was, too.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
Man you old people eat some weird stuff

Open your mind young padwan! If you think couscous is weird, tackle tofu cheesecake tofu lasagne and tofu over toast (the vegan's answer to "stuff" on a shingle). All are quite yummy, actually; and probably more nutricious than the "health food one buys at a typical ABC.

Quote:
i love eating raw, and do it usually for a spell in the summer when all the fresh stuff abounds, and it makes me feel great. everyone should try it.

I figure about half to 2/3 of the food i eat is raw - especialyy in the summer when fresh fruits and vegetables abound. My breakfast is usually a bunch of fruit; and my supper is usually a large chef's salad.

Lunch is another story - it's usually what my family had for dinner the night before. Today it is Asian chicken and green beans over brown rice.

I guess I'm gonna be "Left Behind" at translation - eating meat AND cooked veggies ... I'm a Baaaadventist! :(

Tofu and other soy products are not good for many of us who have had female cancers. Soy is a no-no in large amounts. I can eat some but I watch my intake of anything with soy in it, as too much soy can cause the cancer to come back and sometimes in different forms.

That is why I am very careful of what I allow myself to eat at any potluck.

Soy may be a no-no in large amounts...but that tofu cheesecake is indeed excellent!

Blessings!

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Administrators

Yes I failed to mention the "eating raw" movement. thank you for mentioning it.

I also love raw veggies ... my favorite is uncooked corn on the cob ... however, raw beans would be a stretch.

As for halo's slipping ... LOL mine seems to be rather slippery.

Originally Posted By: Gail
Well, you know, Joeb, we are supposed to pass over a sin at times...

The meal was wonderful, though, with much greens and quinoa and a lasagna made of zucchini instead of pasta.

A sin?

AJ

Aldona,

I take it you're having a hard time recognizing my sense of humor.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Sorry - at the moment I'm having trouble recognizing anybody's sense of humor.

Too long since my last break from work.

I think I am well past my "amuse-by" date.

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

I think I am well past my "amuse-by" date.

Off topic, but just have to say...

That's one of the funniest things I've read this year!! LOLLOL

I guess I would ask myself some questions. If I could see clearly from the Bible how my course was okay, I would not be so concerned what others thought unless someone else showed me clearly how I was in error. If I could see clearly from the Bible how my course was wrong, I wouldn't worry so much what other people thought, but I hope I would be concerned about what the Lord thinks, and this might cause me to change.

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

Thanks dgrimm. I am an SDA not because my parents or friends were but as a result of my relationship with the Lord, and if I am out of harmony with Him, by the grace of God I would hope to change.

As for halo's slipping ... LOL mine seems to be rather slippery.

Don't worry, Naomi....Your large halo is well placed and will not slip off....My horns do well at anchoring the halo in place also......

Heheheheheh.......

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Thanks dgrimm. I am an SDA not because my parents or friends were but as a result of my relationship with the Lord, and if I am out of harmony with Him, by the grace of God I would hope to change.

One of the best things I have read for a long time! May it be so for you, LauraLea! It's always nice to see you again :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Thanks Gail-I hope it will be so, even though at times it can be a struggle as for us all. Nice to be in touch with you too.

Quote:
Man you old people eat some weird stuff

How do you think they managed to get so old? Unless it could be laughing at your humor.

"A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones."Proverbs 17:22 NKJV

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
I have spent my money on all the new foods, juices and vitamins designed to make me healthy ... jk'ng ... well maybe

The only thing I could add is it's no joke. While trying to be perfectly correct is probably a good goal for one's self, as long as it remains a goal and not a platform, especially when expecting others to plant their feet on the same platform. Unless of course, the platform is made out of the Rock.

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."Acts 4:12 KJV

OTOH, if one is interested in quality of life, health principles followed can be especially satisfying as one ages.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
the perfect people are not allowed in His Kingdom

As I understand it, only perfect people are going to be allowed in. Correct?

"It will happen in a moment, in the blink of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For when the trumpet sounds, those who have died will be raised to live forever. And we who are living will also be transformed. For our dying bodies must be transformed into bodies that will never die; our mortal bodies must be transformed into immortal bodies.

Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die, this Scripture will be fulfilled:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.["1 Cor 15:52-54 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
I don't know of any Adventist that truly follows 100% of all the "rules" of Adventism

Do you know anybody that follows 100% of the rules set down in the Scriptures?

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
Easier solution... Moved it where the quoters can do so unimpeded!

I appreciate that, Tom. OTOH, in the threads or forums that do not allow quotes, it bears false witness by those who honestly believe they have an idea that is original with them. And those who are not honest in their self proclamation, border on condescending at the least and arrogant at the worst, though hopefully all unintended.

"That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun."Ecclesiastes 1:9 NKJV

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

Good for you, Shelly! IMO it is much more important to be who you truly are (i.e., wearing your "true" face) than pretending to be someone or something that you're not (i.e., being a hypocrite)!

I agree wholeheartedly. This instruction followed would probably

limit most of the other.

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much."

James 5:16 NASB

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!