ClubAdventist is back!

Elementary School Beginning Toy Gun Turn-In Program

Elementary School Beginning Toy Gun Turn-In Program

by William Bigelow 10 Jun 2013, 10:25 AM

Strobridge Elementary Principal Charles Hill has a brilliant idea: he’s holding a toy gun exchange next Saturday in which students of the Hayward, CA school can turn in a toy gun to receive a book and a raffle ticket to win one of four bicycles.

Really.

Hill believes that children who play with toy guns may not think real guns are dangerous. “Playing with toy guns, saying ‘I’m going to shoot you,’ desensitizes them, so as they get older, it’s easier for them to use a real gun,” he claims.

Hill was inspired by a school photographer, Horace Gibson, who was upset about the number of police shootings of young people in Oakland.

At Strobridge Elementary Safety Day, a local policeman will demonstrate bicycle and gun safety, (does he get to use a real gun?), while the Alameda County Fire Department will speak about fire safety. Just to show that local governments can do surveillance too, there will be opportunities for the children to be fingerprinted and photographed, with that information transferred to CD’s if it is ever needed for a missing child case.

Hill, defending his take-away program, asserted that police are justifiably afraid when they face armed suspects, and toy guns have been mistaken for real ones.

But Yih-Chau Chang, spokesman for Responsible Citizens of California, said, ”Having a group of children playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians is a normal part of growing up.”

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

That's right...start NOW, when they are but pre-schoolers, and tell them how evil those water rifles and nerf shooters are. What do these toy turn-ins have to do with teaching kids to read, write, do math, and think critically? Absolutely nothing!

I find it is no wonder why so many kids are getting pulled from public (and even private schools now) and being home schooled....

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

..........hmmmmmm.....and here I thought the primary purpose of school was to build character....and secondary purposes of school was to teach the individual " read, write, do math, and think critically".....Oh well, character be damned...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

..........hmmmmmm.....and here I thought the primary purpose of school was to build character....and secondary purposes of school was to teach the individual " read, write, do math, and think critically".....Oh well, character be damned...

Do you mind explaining this odd position? I always thought it was the parent's job to teach character building, morals, right vs wrong, etc..., and the school's job to teach the ABC's, math, etc.... Or have you also bought into the idea that it's the government's role take over the parent's job now?

As far as I can tell when I read my Bible it doesn't teach anywhere that parents should slough their job off on government. If you believe they should, show me your scriptural backing for such an idea.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Do you mind explaining this odd position? I always thought it was the parent's job to teach character building, morals, right vs wrong, etc..., and the school's job to teach the ABC's, math, etc.... Or have you also bought into the idea that it's the government's role take over the parent's job now?

As far as I can tell when I read my Bible it doesn't teach anywhere that parents should slough their job off on government. If you believe they should, show me your scriptural backing for such an idea.

Don't know about the rest of you but I don't want a public school teaching character building.

Character building starts at a very young age in the home.School has a different purpose.Altho the last decade or two there has been a big push to build "character" the way government defines it

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Got to agree with the two posters just above - character is built by the parents and family, not our public schools. Public schools just don't have the parental-type authority to mold youth into good character. From what I have seen, the teachers are nice enough, but I still wouldn't want them deciding for me just *what* constitutes *good* character is for my children.

Public schools are also rapidly losing the authority to teach our youth the basics, as reflected in actual performance of our youths in math, science, language, and critical thought versus youths from other countries. Instead, they are learning feel-good programs and ill-concealed political props in our schools...

Food for thought,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan