ClubAdventist is back!

Need car advice

Norman Byers, N.D.

I posted this on FB and thought I'd bring here too. Our car got stuck in mud this week and I had to rock the car back and forth using the gas pedal and shifted it from reverse to forward back and forth and ruined the transmission. we can drive it for about 20 minutes then it won't shift into higher gears. This 03 Civic has 303600 miles on it and it will cost 1300 to fix. Would you fix this or use that money for a down payment to get a used car?

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

I just have to say...WOW! I drive an '03 Honda Civic and I have 130,000 miles. I thought I drove a lot! Granted, it's really been sitting in the driveway most of the time for the past 2 years. But still! 303,600 miles! Way to go, Norman!

My car was hit by hail last month and the damage amounts to $2,300. The insurance company would rather I fix it, than have it "totalled". So, it must be worth at least $2,300 still.

How's the gas mileage averaging? We get about 32 mpg.

Have you made a lot of other repairs to this car?

Do you foresee making a lot of repairs on this car in the near future, assuming the transmission is fixed?

How much would your insurance rates increase if you were to get a "newer" used car?

Would you consider buying another 03 Civic at 303,600 miles with a rebuilt transmission for only $1,300?

Hi Cricket, thanks for the advice. A month ago I replaced the head gasket for $400 and it's gonna need work done to the doors as the drivers side won't unlock and the passenger side takes multiple attempts to open. I know it'll need brake's dented hood due to hitting a deer and the fenders are chewed up as it was attacked by a pit bull a few months ago. Poor car has been through a lot. This is a rebuilt car that was salvaged. I got it when it had 56k on it.

It's the only car that we have that runs. I am a Volunteer Missional Pastor in the Georgia Cumberland Conference and my thinking is I should have a vehicle that looks a little better than this one. I'm not being vain it's affects people's perceptions.

I have also been using this car for work (I install Exede High speed satellite internet) and sometimes have to carry 8 ft poles and the dishes, wire etc... It all fits in but the pole has damaged the passenger side inside door.

But it does runs great and gets great gas mileage probably closer to 42mpg. (I drive like a granny, unless I'm late)

We are looking at getting a used car and the insurance will be higher since I only have liability on this one.

BTW if you ant to increase gas mileage get a K & N air filter they last a million miles and you WILL get better gas mileage. I have proved it on all my vehicles.

$1300 for a rebuilt salvaged car with 303600 miles, I'm not sure if I'd by that.

Hi Norman! I think you've answered your own question.

Thanks so much for the advice on the K&N air filter. My husband and I will be looking into that this afternoon. Anywhere we can save money these days is of great interest to us!

You may want to look at a used Honda CR-V with all the stuff you need to carry around.

Happy car hunting!

Quote:
BTW if you ant to increase gas mileage get a K & N air filter they last a million miles and you WILL get better gas mileage. I have proved it on all my vehicles.

Thanks for this advice. Based upon it - I went to the K + N website and bought one. But $43 seemed a bit steep. I am going to bank on higher gas mileage.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I posted this on FB and thought I'd bring here too. Our car got stuck in mud this week and I had to rock the car back and forth using the gas pedal and shifted it from reverse to forward back and forth and ruined the transmission. we can drive it for about 20 minutes then it won't shift into higher gears. This 03 Civic has 303600 miles on it and it will cost 1300 to fix. Would you fix this or use that money for a down payment to get a used car?

Norman, it doesn't sound like a lot of money, but if you can't do the work yourself to cut cost, I think your better off using the money for a trade in (+your old car) should give you a nice down payment. What ever way you go, good luck.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I would actually fix this car; but you are talking to a guy who just bought a "new" van. It's a 1986 Dodge B250 Cargo Van. (3/4 Ton) I paid $500 for her, and I can put 14 ft long 2X6s inside this gargantuan, and still have plenty of room in the front for a driver. (lol me).

There is a better way to get unstuck from the mud, if you are interested, I can pm you the straight goods on that incase you get stuck again...we used to bury our car wheels right up to the axles in mud all the time when we lived on a certain farm - I like to think of myself as an expert on getting out of it.

Because of the high mileage of your vehicle; it would be good to get the engine rebuilt too if you can swing it financially. When you have to do transmission anyway, it makes good sense to also do this...depends how good of shape body is in I guess.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Thanks for your comments, we ended up buying a 2010 ford flex se at a pretty good price. Not as good as the Honda on gas but it's perfect for work. We still have the Honda and will probably work on it as time permits.