ClubAdventist is back!

Annual report highlights worsening freedom of belief worldwide

phkrause

• Members

This year’s report by the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) has Seventh-day Adventist human rights experts concerned over growing state-sponsored or condoned intolerance toward minority faith groups worldwide...

Rest of report:

http://news.adventist.org/en/archive/art...ief%20worldwide

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:
Alabama state champion coach and AD fired for being a member of the wrong church

By Cameron Smith | Prep Rally – 19 hours ago

One of the most successful coaches in the state of Alabama is suddenly out of a job after he was dismissed for what initially seems to be a remarkably trivial reason: He attends the wrong church.

As reported by the Montgomery Advertiser, Prattville (Ala.) East Memorial Christian Academy super coach Scott Phillips, who led the school’s football program to its first state playoff birth in years and coached the boys basketball team to the first state title in any sport, was dismissed because he refused to force his family to attend East Memorial Baptist Church.

While Phillips had never been forced to attend the school’s affiliated church when he was only a coach, that changed when he became the school’s athletic director. As confirmed by the Advertiser, East Memorial Christian Academy’s athletic director was expected to attend the East Memorial Baptist Church, even though there was allegedly not an official clause in the contract requiring such attendance.

Phillips tried to make that work, getting his family to start each Sunday at a 9 a.m. service at East Memorial before attending an 11 a.m. service at his family’s church of choice, Church of the Highlands. Eventually that routine began to make Phillips feel dishonest, leading to a conversation with East Memorial officials where the coach and AD told them he didn’t feel comfortable attending Sunday services at East Memorial Baptist.

That was the last conversation he would have as the school’s AD.

Sunday's coming preparation, ya think????

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Sunday's coming preparation, ya think????

Freedom of religion is not preserved as we wish. Yet, there is a fine line between preserving the freedom to exercise faith and granting freedom for those in one's world.

Most Adventist schools expect their teachers to be Adventist. Some Adventist schools expect their teachers to be part of the constituent churches for the school where they teach. This is very similar to the coach's dilemma in the news item. Of course, people will the spin the story as they wish.

It is kind of refreshing to see other denominations wrestling with these issues. Baptists have been leaders in religious freedom historically.

It is kind of refreshing to see other denominations wrestling with these issues. Baptists have been leaders in religious freedom historically.

When you say religious freedom, you are referring to the freedom to practice a Christian based religion right?

• Members

Originally Posted By: Don777

When you say religious freedom, you are referring to the freedom to practice a Christian based religion right?

Not quite...

England has an established religion but it grants freedom of religion to people. This kind of freedom can be referred to as 'tolerance'.

In the United States, the English type of established religion was not allowed; i.e. the non-establishment clause of the USA Constitution.

Both types of freedom allow for free expression. This is for all religions, not just Christian.

In the United States, Baptists have led the way in matters of Religious Freedom in America; not just religious tolerance, but full freedom to live according to the dictates of their consciences. Thomas Jefferson's interaction with the Danbury Baptists is an important part of this understanding of freedom. I suspect that many Baptists are unaware of their Religious Liberty heritage.

Religious Freedom means different things to different people. The Roman Catholic Church has been active in promoting religious freedom. Often this promotion is for their "true" religion. For the "true" catholic religion to have freedom to exercise their religion seems consistent to them. Some Roman Catholics reach further in their promotion than just their church's interest, but generally when a Roman Catholic leader speaks of religious freedom, he means freedom for the "true" faith. He has no interest in helping members of the Wicca religion have freedom, too.

The idea of granting freedom to all is another kind of religious freedom. Adventists have usually advocated this kind of freedom. It cuts both ways: the individual is understood to have the freedom to worship as their conscience dictates and, the church is seen to have the right to hire only adherents to their faith and to manage membership issues according to their own regulations.

This freedom to exercise one's religion runs into surprising issues. Technically, people who adhere to the Wicca religion, witches, should be free to practice their faith. Even Satanists are protected. A Mormon sect's right to practice polygamy adds a controversial chime to freedom's ring.

In Canada, individual freedom of religion, has been tried in the courts. One case tries the soul of many Canadians. In 1990, a Sikh man won the right to have his turban as part of his police (RCMP) uniform.

Limits of Acceptance

http://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTENTSE1EP17CH2PA3LE.html

Thank you for your response Don.

I should have clarified a little as well.

It was the Baptist bit that through me for a loop. Seems to me that most the time when I hear a Christian loudly proclaiming fire and brimstone for any that don't follow Jesus its an Evangelical Baptist. I have pagan friends that live in the Bible Belt and they get hassled a lot by Baptists.

My take on that could simply be a case of the loudest always get the attention and set the tone for what people think about the rest. I may be a bit remiss in my lumping all Baptists under that umbrella

• Members

Yes. There are Baptists and then there are baptists. :)

The religious spectrum varies considerably. The same is true for Adventists. Religious views vary from denomination to denomination. But, with a group, like Adventists, who tap into the faith pool of other groups, the end result of new members is a varied group in religious view.

Regarding Baptists, I have several Baptist minister friends; as sensible as any could wish. And, I have been treated quite rudely by an independent Baptist minister who did want anything to do with me.

Once, two very wayward people asked me to perform their marriage. The previous marriage they had wrecked was not salvageable. They lived in a very small town with the Baptist church the main church. I did not want to misstep, theologically or socially. It seemed wise to get the counsel of the local Baptist pastor; a wise senior man whom I greatly respected. His advice: "Sometimes marriage covers a multitude of sins."