ClubAdventist is back!

Can The Bible Be Trusted?

Dr. Shane

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

There is NO EVIDENCE IN THE BIBLE OR OUT that Moses wrote the first five books. That claim has no scriptural basis.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

[:"blue"]

"And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them." Matt. 8:4

"And the priest shall go forth out of the camp; and the priest shall look, and, behold, if the plague of leprosy be healed in the leper" Lev. 14:3

[/]

Seems Moses wrote Leveticus

[:"blue"] "They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?" Matt. 19:7

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house." Deut. 24:1 [/]

Seems Moses wrote Deuteronomy too.

[:"blue"] "And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?" Mark 12:26

"Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God." Exd. 3:6[/]

Seems Moses wrote Exodus too.

[:"blue"] "Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." John 1:45

"The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be." Gen. 49:10[/]

So Moses wrote Genesis too.

[:"blue"] "Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God." Matt.22:29 [/]

Jesus taught that we do err when we do not know the Scriptures. Of course He was refering to the Old Testament.

[:"blue"] "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 [/]

Here Jesus tells us the Scriptures (Old Testament) testify of Him and commands us to search them.

[:"blue"] "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Tim. 15-17

[/]

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

There are three views... One is that Gen-Deut is exactly as it came from Moses' hand, the second noticed different writing styles with in the text, which, although started by believers was later used by unbelievers to say that it was only written by different people who collected ancient fictional stories and that there was no historic Moses, and that these people wrote long after the events were to have taken place, and their writings followed human evolution. Both schools are still full of stuborn adherents, but there is a growning third view which sees truely a historic Moses who lead the Children of Israel out of Egypt and gave laws, and that his writings were edited at different times and places in history, and instead of streightforward evolution, that they reflect how the works of Moses were reflected upon and applied in the Northern and Southern kingdoms.

Only one of these three views do not see the Bible as trustworthy. The other two have different understandings of the trustworthyness of the Bible.

Just because Exodus records the deeds of Moses, and Jesus refers to these deeds, does NOT mean that Jesus is saying Moses wrote the book.

The fact that Philip believed Moses wrote the book does NOT mean that Moses wrote the book.

The fact that Jesus told us to read the scriptures does NOT mean that Jesus is endorsing every tradition that we have grown around the scriptures.

/Bevin

• Moderators

Shane, the claim that a specific person wrote a Biblical book generally comes outside of a scriptural basis. Generally the Bible is really not clear as who wrote a specific book. Yes, I know that you can cite exceptions where the Bible seems to claim a specific person.

I happen to believe that the same Moses who led the people of Isreal out of Egypt wrote the first five books of the OT, so do not anyone say that I do not. But, there are still issues that may be raised on which honest people may differ.

Deuteronomy 34:5-12 is an interesting example of such that has bothered some people, but not others. Read it. Do you actually think that Moses wrote the above verses? I do not. Yet, I believe that Moses wrote Deuteronomy.

I will suggest tha the Bible gives us clues as to who wrote many of the Biblical books. Yet, such clues are subject to intrepretation, and are clues, not conslusive statements.

Gregory

Over their entire history, the Jewish people have placed a heavy emphasis on memorization. The first part of the Talmud was not written until the first century AD. Much of its content is attributed to Moses and other prophets and rabbis, yet it was largely passed down by memorization until Akiba bar Joseph decided to compile in in written format. Rather than simply writing what was memorized, he put together a group of Rabbis and they deduced the meanings of the laws that were passed down, and this is what they wrote. Both books of the Talmud where compiled in this manner.

This is just one example of an ancient Hebrew tradition that still exists. The group/person who writes the book are unimportant. The importance lies with the prophet(s) whose words and stories inspired it.

[NOTE: Friend is correct about the Talumd. But, for those who may be weak in their knowledge of Hebrew religious writings, the Talmud is NOT the Torah. The five books of Moses are the Torah. Actually, the Talmud is not a part of the Bible. It is a Jewish religious writing, but not part of the Bible--GM.]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Deuteronomy 34:5-12 is an interesting example of such that has bothered some people, but not others. Read it.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

It is a touching obituary. I can't help but have a sense of awe when I read it. It makes me think of Christ's words, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, if one rise from the dead."

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity