ClubAdventist is back!

HATE AMERICA?

Dr. Shane

Blair calls BBC coverage 'full of hate of America': Murdoch

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Tony Blair -- perhaps I shouldn't repeat this conversation -- told me yesterday that he was in Delhi last week. And he turned on the BBC world service to see what was happening in New Orleans," Murdoch was quoted as saying in a transcript posted on the Clinton Global Initiative website.

"And he said it was just full of hate of America and gloating about our troubles. And that was his government. Well, his government-owned thing," he said of the publicly owned broadcaster.

Murdoch went on to say that anti-American bias was prevalent throughout Europe.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• lazarus

• there buster

• Derrell M

• Administrators

Why is that?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Does it matter? If I say I hate all jews and blacks are you going to ask me why?

The fact seems to be that much of the European press doesn't report the news about America fairly and thus they influence their citizens in a bias way. People form opinions about America based on unfair and bias news reports. Of course that is disturbing - if it is in fact true, as Tony Blair seems to believe it is.

So what if I answer that jews are stingy and blacks are criminals?

Is one then going to go to the jews and tell them how they need to change so peope don't think they are stingy? Is one going to go to blacks and tell them what they need to do so people don't think they are criminals? Or is one going to explain to me why I shouldn't think that way?

In that example I would be out of line just as in real life, a bias press is out of line. The reason European press is anti-American isn't as important as the fact that they are. The oonsequences of a bias press is an ill-informed public.

• Moderators

Question - is it possible to be deeply and sincerely concerned about the actions of the current administration without being described as 'hating America'? Surely, being concerned that the administration is leading America in a bad direction (which, by the way, is something the majority of Americans believe) is actually loving America and Americans?

Truth is important

Remember we are talking about the words of Prime Minister Tony Blair. In his opinion, the BBC's coverage is hate filled. We may not like those words but those are the ones he choose. I think we would really have to bury our heads in the sand to believe all the forgien presses that are anti-American are actually concerned about her in a loving way.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/612033

This puts the quote more in perspective.

Blair and Bush are both in the same boat. The media in their respective countries is accurately reporting the consequence of their bad decisions, and they don't like it.

Both live in fantasy worlds, and don't like it when the media insist on reporting facts that don't agree with their nonsense.

Both want only nice things said about them.

Bush has run the USA National Debt up $2 TRILLION on his watch - not TOO $2 TRILLION, ***BY*** $2 TRILLION.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

2E12 / 2E8 = 1E4 per American, i.e. $10,000. I have five people in my family. George W Bush has wasted $50,000 of my family's money on his stupid policies over the last 6 years. Furthermore under his watch the USA dollar has crashed about 40% on the world market.

He gutted and completely messed up FEMA. He put his cronies in charge on things that they had WOEFULLY INSUFFICIENT experience in.

His Brownie moron in charge of FEMA had Bush's complete support, was sent home from NO in disgrace for incompetence, and resigned a week later when it became clear he had no skill for the job.

Bush is blowing billions on home land security. He bought $millions of smallpox vaccines for medical personnel, only to discover that the personnel refused to have them because they were too dangerous.

He put a TSA authority in that banned fingernail clippers on airplanes, but still allows petrol tankers to drive into major cities. They have recently retracted their stupid knitting needle ban.

But the powers behind Bush's throne aren't so stupid. They are looting billions of dollars from the tax payers.

$2,000 Billion dollars - to be precise.

Bush is in charge - let the looting continue.

/Bevin

Historically there has been two types of media or at least two goals.

One is an openly bias media. A fine example would be the state-run media by the USSR. Another example would be the yellow journalism that has been active througout the US' history.

Objective journalism tries to distiguish itself as not siding with any partical party that is being reported on. It tries to report the facts alone and let the consumer make up their own mind. The problem with this approach has been selective reporting which only reports portions of the facts and in the process actually supports one of the parties in a given report.

Now FOXNews has come along. They have not come up with anything new but have marketed it more successfully than anyone had before. FOXNews reports both sides. Instead of trying to be objective, they report both bias perspectives of a given story. Armed with both perspectives, the consumer can then make up their own mind.

The issue Tony Blair is pointing out about the BBC is that they are not objective as they portrait themselves to be. Their selective reporting is done in a way that is anti-America.

Quote:

The issue Tony Blair is pointing out about the BBC is that they are not objective as they portrait themselves to be. Their selective reporting is done in a way that is anti-America.

Deciding that a position is biased requires an unbiased assessment of the issue to compare it with.

Tony Blair and George W Bush are not unbiased. Instead they are incredibly biased individuals who use the word 'biased' to describe anyone who doesn't believe/support the lie they are trying to sell. Specifically, anyone who reports the facts as opposed to the lies.

/Bevin

Well old Rupert owns a number the most popular tabloid over here which has not always been complimentary of US, so he should get a grip himself.

There is a variety of media avenues here. We are a very digital nation so for all the reporting done on the BBC that Tony complains about we have CNN, ABC, CNBC etc on sky/cable. We have access to the Wall Street Journal, New York and Washington Times, TIME and a host of other publications.

What this affords us in the UK is a wide breadth of coverage from all viewpoints. Nothing to panic about, and as Bevin says Blair complains when people have a dig at him, let alone Bush.

• Moderators

Quote:

Shane said:

FOXNews reports both sides.

Shane, you are determined to have me spill my "barleycup" on my nice clean chinos!

Next you'll be saying that Brit Hume is....er.... moderate grin.gifgrin.gif

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Can somebody give me an example of the way the BBC's reporting been anti-American?

Blair is a politician. It was a private conversation. He has done a good job (even before he was elected) in courting the Murdoch press. Labour was out of power for 18 years. The Murdock press was against them during that time and that was a large factor in the political failure of Labour during those years. Blair needs to keep them onside.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Quote:

Shane, you are determined to have me spill my "barleycup" on my nice clean chinos!

Next you'll be saying that Brit Hume is....er.... moderate

Lazurus,

I am giving you fair warning....Get a towel, cuz the barlycup is hot... grin.gif

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

FOXNews provides an approach to the news much like NBC's "Meet The Press" ABC's "This Week" and CBS' "Face The Nation". This approach gives both sides a voice which has irritated many on the left because for years the right hasn't had a voice in the mainstream press. However the ratings, which is the voice of the public, tell us that this is what the people want. People want to hear both sides which is why FOXNews is doing so well in their market.

• Moderators

Quote:

Shane said:

People want to hear both sides which is why FOXNews is doing so well in their market.

The people who watch Fox generally like it because it gives their (right wing) side of things. I glad you used the examples of face the nation etc. because they are primarily opinion based news programs. On Fox a guest comes on and opinion is given on this/that event The news is given through the filter of either the guest or the presenter.

In general, Fox relays the Republican talking points...that was particularly eveident in the Schiavo case.

Fox is doing so well because it has found a niche. Thats ok, but to say there are fair and balanced is like saying Bill O'Rielly is a moderate!...ooops.

What did Oriely say recently about the UN...... They don't really care about anything over there at all. I just wish Katrina had only hit the United Nations building, nothing else, just had flooded them out. And I wouldn't have rescued them.

Thats moderate I guess

Einstein

FOX is the only network that consistently presents both sides of an issue.

It was Jay Leno, a Gore supporter, who said, "If conservatives have FOX, that leaves the liberals with just ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR, Time, Newsweek, The NY Times and the Washington Post."

Actually, Brit Hume is just a straight journalist. That he happens to be the only one to challenge liberal dogma makes him appear different. Hume was the ABC White House correspondent for a long time, no one seemed to think he was conservative then.

Chris Wallace, Mike Wallace's son, said he looked over FOX's content before he signed on, and didn't find them to be biased. Susan Estrich, Dukakis' campaign manager, is a regular FOX contributor, and has publicly declared the bias charge nonsense.

By contrast, when George Stephanopoulos went straight from the Clinton White House to ABC, no one in the mainstream media raised any concerns about his objectivity, even though he had no credentials or training as a journalist.

Tim Russert worked for Democrat Tip O'Neill. The revolving door between liberal idealogues and the mainstream media has been continual for the last thirty years. 80% of journalists are liberals, and support the Democrat party, as study after study--starting with the '72 election-- has disclosed.

A conservative goes on the TODAY show, for example, and the questions are "How can you claim. . . Will you apologize... "and th like. Hillary Rodham CLinton goes on, after her declaration that her husband was framed in the Lewinsky case by a "vast right wing conspiracy." When it turns out, as even she admits in her book, that Clinton and Lewinsky were involved, she's not asked to recant the scurrilous accusation she made, or even if she regrets making it. She's asked "How did it fell to be so criticized. . ."

Yeah. FOX is biased. Everyone else sees things the Left's way.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

It really isn't fair to compare FOXNews to other networks since other networks are trying to be objective and FOXNews is tring to be fair and balanced. Those that do not believe FOXNews is being fair and balanced is because they are judging FOXNews based on a criteria of objectivity - but FOXNews doesn't claim to be objective. By FOXNews claiming to be fair and balanced they are claiming to give a voice to both ends of the political spectrum. And they do that. Are they objective? No. Do they give a voice to both sides? Yes.

There are two ways to report the news and be fair.

One way is to be objective. That means not favoring one side or the other. If I can report on a news event in such a way that no one can tell what my personal opinion about it actually is, then I am being objective.

The other way to be fair is to be balanced. Being balanced means that when I report on an event I let different groups with differing opinions about it, voice those opinions. So instead of being objective, I present both sides.

Most news media claims to be objective. FOXNews claims to be balanced. Thus FOXNews cannot be judged by the same standard used for other news media since they do not strive for the same goal of objectivity.

The Chihuahua? The Poodle? The ankle biter?

Within America I think it is most likely the "pleaser" mentality. "They hate me and I want them to like me. If they hate me, I must be bad. Bad, bad me! In order to please them and make them like me, I must be like them, and hate me. I will roll over on my back and be their little puppy and maybe they will scratch my little tummy and we will both feel good. Ohhhh! Bad bad me!!! Spank me... spank me cuzz I deserve it!!" Sheesh! (Head shake)

• Moderators

Au contraire - I think it's much more the reverse: certain Americans (and Mr Blair is in their pockets) accuse others of hating America as a means of control, so that they will bend over backwards to prove they don't hate America.

The heck with it - you wanna believe I hate America, just believe it. I'm not gonna argue about it any more, just keep doin' what I do.

Truth is important

Quote:

certain Americans (and Mr Blair is in their pockets) accuse others of hating America as a means of control, so that they will bend over backwards to prove they don't hate America.

Au contraire to your au contraire. Although there are some ankle biters out there, I wouldn't disagree with the above statement at all as it relates to many countries other than America. What I had to say was directed at Americans who love to hate America. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that.

If the political news spectrum is like this

|_________________________________________________________|

With this side as the left..............and this as the right

most news report about this (*) much

|_____________________*__________*________________________|

And some lean/report like this-

|______*_________________*________________________________|

and some lean/report like this

|______________________________*_________________*________|

But most main stream media tend to be more conservative than liberal...Although many will dispute this, as they quote thier right wing "independant" sources....And the Pew Research will back that up with thier reporting on the news networks and how they report.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw