ClubAdventist is back!

Good Christian Values?

M. T. Cross

“Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth by saying that there is only one God and no other. And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law.”Mark 12:32-33 NLT

This being true, why would one do any less than making it in the strongest terms possible, "in your face" if you will. To do less would be to leave the possibility that believing in that which is not true will give hope for life eternal. All are free to believe that, and all will receive the outcome of who they believe in.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M. T. Cross

• joeb

• Gail

• LifeHiscost

I don't know of any religion that does not have any nifty expressions and truism etc, love your neighbour etc etc

What Christianity has is prophecy that is supported by history, and the fall of man kind to the redemption of mankind. Eden lost to Eden restored.

:like::like:announce

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

So a good question to ask Christians perhaps is, Would you still be one if there was no heaven in the end? What would be the motivation then, with the cookie removed?

I don't know if one can see Jesus as a cookie, but knowing what He has given me for my wife and the happiness it has brought both of us, if there was no heaven I would still give the same service to Him, meager though it is, for what He's already done for us. But then I also have other promises that elicit such a conclusion, so I would have to say for the hypothetical, by His grace I would.

"“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am."John 14:1-3 NLT

Praise God for what He has promised. As the Creator, no other god is able to hold such promise.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

I don't know of any religion that does not have any nifty expressions and truism etc, love your neighbour etc etc

What Christianity has is prophecy that is supported by history, and the fall of man kind to the redemption of mankind. Eden lost to Eden restored.

See, but Stan, that is theology. That can be debated and argued forever. Wars are fought over it and people die for it.

But theology is not the same thing as values.

Quote:
The possibility of going to heaven may be a primary, selfish (if you will), immature reason for becoming a Christian, but it is not the most mature or only reason people sign up for it.

Going to heaven, which equals eternal life, IS the ultimate goal! To deny that is to go against what chrtistians have always been taught and since Adam/Eve left the garden. Tell me, anyone, of what value is christianity with out the promise of eternal life? One is going to spend their whole life obtaining righteousness, even if given to them by a God, just to die in the end and become as dust? Really?

Of course! That is the Goal! Eternal life! Who wants to die!! Getting to heaven means eternal life, first stop on an endless journey! Let's not apologize for that! Humans don't want to die, we want eternal life! Plain and simple!! No immaturity in that, just reality!!!!

(Oh, by the way, that is what God promised......for free)

Quote:
(Oh, by the way, that is what God promised......for free)

It cost Jesus His perfect life and it costs us our carnal self, the old man.

"Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed"1 Cor 15:51 NKJV

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the [sound of the] last trumpet call. For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [in Christ] will be raised imperishable (free and immune from decay), and we shall be changed (transformed)."1 Corinthians 15:52 AMP brackets parenthesis theirs LHC

"For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. So encourage each other with these words."1 Thess 4:16-18 NLT

Basically these verses tell what happens when one dies and who will enter the kingdom.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Originally Posted By: Stan

What Christianity has is prophecy that is supported by history

See, but Stan, that is theology. That can be debated and argued forever. Wars are fought over it and people die for it.

Prophecy may be disputed but fulfilled prophecy is only disputed by those who will not see.

" Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14 NLT

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Joeb, I can tell you this first hand, Gwyddon does not teach humility, it smacks you up side the head with it until you embrace it and are it.

M.T.

You asked where I got the idea that you're relying on purely human effort. I got it from right here.

You're not be offered a free gift. You're not being freely offered something from outside yourself. There is no repentance, no forgiveness, nothing that says you yourself cannot train yourself to modify your own character. That's very much implied in what you said here.

Compare your statement with the Christian's change. God loves us to the point that by experiencing His love we acknowledge there is nothing within us that can love like He does. Then we ask forgiveness for our hardheartedness and ask Him to place His love within us.

The Christian is relying on a power and goodness outside himself to change. I see nothing of that in anything you've said. Thus, you're relying on your own power to change yourself.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

So a good question to ask Christians perhaps is, Would you still be one if there was no heaven in the end? What would be the motivation then, with the cookie removed?

Would I still be a Christian if there was no heaven? Yes. The motivation? To be like Jesus.

Alexis de Tocqueville

It is for the weak, but provides power to do marvellous things.

Yes, Christianity is for the weak, for those of us who understand that we humans, all of us, are weak. Those who point to the Christian and decry their weakness simply don't understand that they themselves are just as weak. They are even weaker for they are still decieved and do not understand that they are.

Alexis de Tocqueville

Originally Posted By: M. T. Cross
Joeb, I can tell you this first hand, Gwyddon does not teach humility, it smacks you up side the head with it until you embrace it and are it.

M.T.

You asked where I got the idea that you're relying on purely human effort. I got it from right here.

You're not be offered a free gift. You're not being freely offered something from outside yourself. There is no repentance, no forgiveness, nothing that says you yourself cannot train yourself to modify your own character. That's very much implied in what you said here.

Compare your statement with the Christian's change. God loves us to the point that by experiencing His love we acknowledge there is nothing within us that can love like He does. Then we ask forgiveness for our hardheartedness and ask Him to place His love within us.

The Christian is relying on a power and goodness outside himself to change. I see nothing of that in anything you've said. Thus, you're relying on your own power to change yourself.

How is my saying that Gwyddon drills you with humility any less from without than you saying Christianity teaches humility?

I have also repeatedly pointed out that we do this through interaction with deity. That is well outside ones self.

Originally Posted By: Stan

I know what you mean by Theology, and I would agree with that, however there are some chapters that are history in reverse... and they were kinda spoofed as written 'after the fact' but that all changed with the Dead Sea Scrolls..

I would agree with you on the interpretations of dragons, and other beast etc, even though the Bible does interrupt itself on those mattes, and it is not complex. BUT the history in reverse is in a different playground.

Not to worry if you do not agree, we will always be friends. BUT check it out sometime.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members
:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
Tell me, anyone, of what value is christianity with out the promise of eternal life?

" And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead."1 Corinthians 15:17-21 KJV

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
They are even weaker for they are still deceived and do not understand that they are.

This will do a good job of verifying that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI

And if you want to see the most powerful 33 minutes to what every Adventist or any other Christian should be about, you might like to watch this. It's powerful and may just cause some tears to flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7L75krgvEw

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!