ClubAdventist is back!

The Tide Is Turning

Bravus

Quote:

To compare the War in Iraq to WW2 is doing the men and women who fought in it a disservice!

I know you said this, but I want to reword this a bit more clearly...

It is a diservice to our fighting men and woman engage in a unjustified war, period. At best, this conflict was questionable, questions on WMDs, problems in getting out of Iraq, problems over the reigm(s) controling Iraq once we took over. Instead, we have commited to breaking a country, and we don't have the leadership to mend it. That is another disservice to our fighting men and women. We don't value thier lives enough. 2000 lives lost when it should have had far less than that to sucessfully compleat this exercise.

To me, that is an extreeme disservice...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• Bravus

• jasd

• lazarus

Top Posters In This Topic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Even though many may have believed Saddam was redeveloping WMD they did not want to go to war because they did not believe that was the solution.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Presdient Clinton didn't go to war because he was hoping for the best. The war would have been hard to sell to the American people as a preventative action in 1998. 9/11 changed all of that. President Bush could no longer hope for the best and be responsible. The belief that Saddam had WMDs and was supporting terrorism required that action be taken.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

>>What many predicted in Iraq (including Bush 1) is now taking place.<<

So, everyone knew the history and the potential risks of that particular theatre. I don’t think US policy can be run on factors of timidity; if nothing else -- it is unbecoming.

>>To compare the War in Iraq to WW2…<<

Actually, my reference to WW II was not directed to its personnel; rather, it attempted to draw a distinction between the 2 years we’ve been in Iraq and the 60 years we’ve been in Europe -- and how that might define… quagmire.

>>…is doing the men and women who fought in it a disservice!<<

Not I, beg pardon.

Should one review events leading to the Second World War it will be found that in America -- it was I-will-never-send-your-boys-to-fight-in-a-foreign-war-FDR who did the men and women of America a disservice. He lied, maliciously. Moreover, he compounded it by drafting the poor blithers; whereas, at least, those Dubya sent to Afghanistan and Iraq were adult volunteers.

>>…a unjustified war, period.<<

Opinions may vary as to what justifies war.

>>At best, this conflict was questionable, questions on WMDs,<<

It was so only by Monday morning quarterbacking.

>>…problems in getting out of Iraq,<<

Assuming we ever planned to get out of Iraq.

>>…problems over the reigm(s) controling Iraq once we took over. Instead, we have commited to breaking a country,<<

It may better serve the West to surreptitiously encourage events that will splinter the factions; which may have been the goal from the beginning.

>>…and we don't have the leadership to mend it.<<

What if we really have no intention of “mending” it? After all, Iraq, as it is presently constituted is a relatively new phenomenon.

>>We don't value thier lives enough. 2000 lives lost when it should have had far less…<<

Value their lives? sez who? Per 2000: How have you made that assessment?

>>…than that to sucessfully compleat this exercise.<<

Hmm, war as exercise.