ClubAdventist is back!

Is coffee drinking really a sin?

EmptyTomb

A small child was asked what love is.

- It is when Mom pours a cup of coffee for Dad and tastes it first to be sure it is not too hot for him.

• Moderators

I am rather late in this discussion, but here's my 2 cents.

There is something that is often overlooked in the discussion of what constitutes sin. 1 Jn 3:4 is often the first cited to define it. The OT as seen in Ps 32:1-2 describes it in 3 levels or categories. 1) Pesha - transgression which = rebellion, willful, high-handed kind of disobedience, 2)Chata - sin = missing the mark, which can be intentional or unintentional, 3) Avon - iniquity, perversity, to twist, distort, a condition of being perverse.

If we are presented with a choice between a healthier drink/food or whatever and something less healthful and we choose the latter, are we not missing the mark? Clean meat is not condemned by Scripture, yet it is clearly less healthful than a vegan diet. Is that missing the mark to choose something less healthy? It would seem so to me. But the Apostle John also speaks of a sin "that does not lead to death," 1 Jn 5:17. Would the subject under discussion be one of them?

It's odd, Neil, but my Bible tells me to examine myself to see if I am in the truth. It teaches me to trust God. It teaches me not to lean on human understanding. It teaches me to trust the Holy Spirit to lead me into truth. In other words, my Bible teaches me to do just the opposite of what you assert.

You misunderstand....

If God is working with you, then God is equally working on the other Christianthat you are dealing with...

Just because that Christian is espousing other viewpoints contrary to your own doesn't mean that he is following satan...if you believe that he is,then how do you know that YOU are not following satan? [rhetorical but logical question, btw]

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

What sin separates us from God?

Perhaps you meant to say, "from the love of God?" All sin separates us from God. He still loves us, but sin separates us and makes it impossible for Him to do what He wants to do in our lives. When we cling to it.

Remember when Adam and Eve sinned, and it separated them from God? They could no longer speak face to face as before.

Originally Posted By: Neil D

In the mean time, you need to learn to trust more...learn to trust others understanding...we call it growing in the spirit...

Learn to trust others understanding??

Now there's a recipe for something.

Context is everything, Richard...

don't forget to add that as well.....we don't want you to misunderstand...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: Johann
What sin separates us from God?

Perhaps you meant to say, "from the love of God?" All sin separates us from God. He still loves us, but sin separates us and makes it impossible for Him to do what He wants to do in our lives. When we cling to it.

Remember when Adam and Eve sinned, and it separated them from God? They could no longer speak face to face as before.

Are you implying that what someone eats and drinks separates them from the love of God?

Seems to me, that for this separation to exist, there is MUCH MORE that needs to happen....if it happens at all...

George Bernard Shaw

Exactly, Richard....

It occurs to me, Richard, that you were trying to say that sin was able to separate us from the love of God....

But then, you didn't get my implication that *IF* separation were able to happen, much more must occur than just drinking coffee.....

Just clarifying....

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: M. T. Cross
Oh E.T.......

So far in my life the only S.D.A's that don't make me want to strangle them are on this site.

But some of you would?

I meant to say: But some of us you would? rollingsmile

Exactly, Richard....

It occurs to me, Richard, that you were trying to say that sin was able to separate us from the love of God....

I didn't say any such thing, nor did I try to. Is your reading comprehension really that poor?

Originally Posted By: Neil D
Exactly, Richard....

I didn't say any such thing, nor did I try to. Is your reading comprehension really that poor?

I realize, Richard, that what I read was not what you were saying....but I am not so sure that you realize that what you wrote was not what you meant....

anyway, glad it was clarified....

George Bernard Shaw

LOL

No. I wrote exactly what I meant. I think troll is the keyword here. You are their leader.

But that does not confront me.

LOL

As long as I get my money next Friday.

LOL

No. I wrote exactly what I meant. I think troll is the keyword here. You are their leader.

But that does not confront me.

LOL

As long as I get my money next Friday.

Gee....I dunno, Richard....If you write exactly what you mean, then you are the first, in this discussion between us, to accuse me of being a troll. It is a semi-rule among moderators that the first one to resort to name calling, has usually run out of logical arguements...and this type of behavior is evidence of troll like behavior.

Now, I haven't been trying to start an arguement here, but have been trying to find points where we can agree....I have used words like "clarifying" and "glad that was cleared up"...but your continued attacking, and attempting to make me conform to your understanding [not allowing a person the freedom to form thier own opinions-aka control] is again, evidence of troll like behavior....

Now, I don't know if you saw the thread regarding a new catagory of conservative on the board. Some people who are conservative are actually nice people, but the mean ones tend to have regressive ideas/behaviors. Now, I believe that there are some here, who may start using this catagory. So, let me be the first to use this catagory in a warning capacity..IMO, it appears, with the behavors that you have exhibited here, that you are rapidly falling into this catagory. I am asking you, very plainly, to cease and desist from this type of behavior.

Richard, you need to move on from this destructive behavior and seek forgiveness for yourself before it eats you up...really!

George Bernard Shaw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Well i guess i am screwed,for i drink coffee.

I am also not impressed that you keep coming back here under different names.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

maybe i should cut back on my drug or i mean coffee. giggle

Does it surprise anyone that this is HopefulOne?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.