ClubAdventist is back!

Is coffee drinking really a sin?

EmptyTomb

Studies on coffee that show negligible health risk do not take into account the difference between those who based on genetic differences metabolize caffeine slowly and those who break it down more quickly. Tests on rate of caffeine metabolism are not commercially available so you do not know which group you belong to, but in a study of over 4000 Costa Ricans done by researchers from Harvard, the rate of a heart attack went up significantly for those who regularly drank several cups of coffee a day and metabilzed caffeine slowly compared to those who metabilized caffeine slowly but did not use caffeine. So if one is in the slow metabilzer group, it could be a health risk.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11713660/ns/health-heart_health/t/some-coffee-drinkers-risk-real-jolt/

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

Not sure if I posted this at the start of this thread, but here goes:

My experience with caffeine is this: When I became an Adventist, I abstained completely off of coffee, tea, and soft drinks. I stayed that way for 10 years, until the migraines began. Didn't want to start drinking coffee again, but my doctor said bluntly we can go with the big and nasty pharmaceuticals, or we can combine coffee with OTC pain medications first, and save the big drugs for the worst cases when nothing works. I chose to start drinking the caffeine again.

When we followed the latter, my doctor also noticed I was much more focused than before. With my youngest being diagnosed with ADD, and that being genetic, my doctor said to continue the caffeine intake to help with my own issues there.

Yes, I get kidney stones - but only when constantly taking Advil for pain relief (ups the pH within the kidneys). Balancing this with drinking concentrated lemon juice during these times drops the pH there back to neutral, and dissolves the stones. I now mainly take 3 aspirin + magnesium citrate + butterwort extracts + Co Q10 + slow dosing caffeine (~600-750 mg caffeine over the course of 5-6 hours) every day. At least I can function most days, whereas before this combination was prescribed, I was bed/couch bound 4-5 days/week with migraine pain/symptoms.

Butterwort - herbal extracts (natural)

Coffee/tea - plant material infusions

aspirin - derived by modifying salicylic acid...found in willow bark.

Co Q10 - naturally occurring co-enzyme

Concentrated lemon juice for alkali kidney stone occurrences (I do NOT recommend this for acidic kidney stones! Major difference!)

It isn't a cure, but the near daily pain levels are certainly much more tolerable, my blood sugars are controlled better, infrequent kidney stones are more tolerable, and I have better focus in what I do. Big Pharma vs. God provided plants...hmmmm...Big Pharma has a place for some of my needs, just not these arenas. Score for God's provided plants...

Sometimes, we need to rethink things with respect to what God has placed on earth for man's needs.

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

The coenzyme q10 may help counterbalance the deletorius effects of the caffeine on the heart if you are a slow metabilizer. Ellen White used coffee medicinally when she had severe vomiting. It is a drug and as many other drugs may sometimes be the best available choice for a health problem. 

Coffee drinking is not something I would place in the same category as breaking the 10 commandments because there may be times it is the best course medicinally. I do not choose to drink it recreationally.  I feel differently with a significant amount of caffeine- a bit jittery.  I also believe we should seek to live in a way that is most healthful and without unneeded jitters.  

• Like 2

i think we should be very careful not to reject aspects of the Adventist health message because they conflict with medical science.

Medical science is not able to ascertain the long term effects of 'stimulants" on the body and mind.. The human body is much too complex  for science to always  go directly from cause to effect in its study on foods or lifestyle. What may appear beneficial in one sense and easily verifiable, may  at the same time be  working slowly and surely to debilitate in an area not easily sensed.

As for Mrs White's instructions on diet and foods being influenced by other health reformers, I think that is untrue, for she clearly stated her health message was not taken from any book or paper. She received it from God by divine inspiration.

“That which I have written in regard to health was not taken from books or papers. As I related to others the things which I had been shown, the question was asked, "Have you seen the paper, The Laws of Life or the Water Cure Journal?" I told them No, I had not seen either of the papers. Said they, "What you have seen agrees very much with much of their teachings." I talked freely with Dr. Lay and many others upon the things which had been shown me in reference to health. I had never seen a paper treating upon health.  {3SM 282.2}

After the vision was given me, my husband was aroused upon the health questions. He obtained books, upon our Eastern journey, but I would not read them. My view was clear, and I did not want to read anything until I had fully completed my books. My views were written independent of books or of the opinions of others.”--Manuscript 7, 1867.  {3SM 282.2-3}

Thanks for sharing her statement about not reading other health treatises until completing her books on health. I had nto ehard that before.

So true science cannot fully address all the effects of certain things. For one thing, we now know people are genetically different in such a way that some metabolize caffeine more slowly and are more vulnerable to its harmful effects. Also, regarding alcohol, some are predisposed to become addicted.

Coffee drinking is not something I would place in the same category as breaking the 10 commandments because there may be times it is the best course medicinally. I do not choose to drink it recreationally. I feel differently with a significant amount of caffeine- a bit jittery. I also believe we should seek to live in a way that is most healthful and without unneeded jitters.

I do not mean it is not a sin to drink it recreationally but that at times it may be needed medicinally

• Members

Here's an interesting article, what one person has to say about coffee/caffeine:

http://www.adventistworld.org/2015/january/withdrawal.html

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

wbhae,

I read the article.  Interesting.  I'm too tired too look up the references now; but there is much research that would contradict what was in the article.

BTW, the "recent" research done at Johns Hopkins is actually several years old.

If God wants me to quit drinking coffee, he'll let me know.  He and I have much more serious and pressing issues to work on before we get to something as trivial as coffee.

30If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks? 31Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God;…1 Cor 10

16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are....1 Cor 3

6For by wise guidance you will wage war, And in abundance of counselors there is victory....Prov 24

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!