ClubAdventist is back!

The fine line between witnessing and being abusive.

M. T. Cross

I think this applies to every facet of life, but I would like to discuss it in the context of spiritual/religious matters.

I have seen it happen many times in "real" life but lets just look at CA as our example here. Someone posts something, their thoughts on a spiritual matter and someone disagrees. Happens all the time and it is the joy of a discussion and debate forum. Now I see two ways that happens. One way is a person disagrees in a manner that puts forth where they disagree and why. They do so in a way that invites discussion and growth. Others do it in a confrontational way that says "You are an idiot and I am here to get in your face and tell you why you are an idiot. You can thank me later"

Now I am sure we have all been guilty of the latter from time to time. I know I have. Really it is a fine line where one ends and the other begins. Where do you draw that line?

(remember this is a no quote zone and save Tom some work)

• Administrators

This and an observation made by Stan about wolves in lamb skins made me wonder. Have you ever thought upon meeting someone, or having to deal with someone of your own faith that is a jerk or difficult, abusive, or whatever - If I wasn't already a believer and this was the only person of the faith I knew, I would never consider becoming one. But more disturbing is to ask oneself, if I was the only contact a stranger had with someone of my kind (broader than religious) would that person want to get better acquainted? If the answer is doubtful, uncertain or clearly negative, it is time to rethink how one relates to others.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

It must be human nature for people to want to straighten others out. But, straighten them out to what? Their own idea of what God wants or what they feel others should be?

I dispise being treated that way, yet I'm probably just as guilty. And yet I think that people that do that to me sincerely think they are helping.

As Christians we don't need to, do we? We have a big God that works on the hearts of people through His Spirit. I don't know why we feel WE need to do the fixing. I don't know why we don't trust our big God more.

There are ways of bringing about change without setting about making people conform to our ideas.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Where I draw the line between confrontational vs. exchanging ideas: A signal flag for me that a discussion is veering away from the exchange of ideas is when the discussion starts getting personal as in you are stupid, you are wrong. Confrontation is personal, and is generally expressed emotionally. An exchange of ideas focuses more on the ideas being exchanged, and less on the emotions that may be attached to the ideas.