ClubAdventist is back!

WILLIAM GLASSER

Kevin H

• Moderators

I was sad to hear of the death of one of my heroes, Dr. William Glasser, the founder of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy.

I first became familiar with him when I saw his book "Warning, Psychiatry may be Hazardous to your Mental Health." and reading the back I thought he was off his rocker and I bought it just to see what these extremists had to say. I put it on my book shelf and did not get to it, but less than a year later the Air Force sent me for training at the Tri Services Combat Stress conference at Camp Pendleton, CA. One of the presenters was Dr. Glasser.

While I really enjoyed all of the presenters at the conference, most of the other lecturers told me things that I needed to know as a mental health professional. Dr. Glasser's lecture was full of practical principles that I could teach to my patients. Also, I found his lecture to ring to a note in me from my study of the Bible and Mrs. White, and things I learned from Lois Eger's "Common Sense Psychology" and from in college when I was studying Eli Siegel's "Aesthetic Realism." I talked with him for a few minutes after his lecture. When I mentioned having gone to nursing school at Loma Linda, he asked me if I was a Seventh-day Adventist, then told me that Adventists as a group has been more open to his thoughts than any other group. I came home and took his book off the shelf and read it and it was not as far off track as I thought it was, but really made sense. I have since been a reader of his other books and have started on getting my certification in Choice Theory. I got to meet him and speak some with him 2 years later at the conference.

I am working on starting a ministry using magic and puppets and I'm hoping to move on to games and maybe songs, to work to teach young people about the Bible and Biblical principles, such as Glasser's work. I am so sad to hear of his passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Glasser

• Members

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. I hadn't read about Dr. Glasser's passing....a very big loss to the mental health field....

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Well worth your time to listen to, it is only 20 minutes:

To honour the work of Dr William Glasser please share this video with as many of your friends as you can. In it Dr Glasser explains the basis of his Positive Psychology of Personal Freedom - Choice Theory. It summarises why so many of us are grieving the passing of this amazing man, yet at the same time celebrate the gift of his life. It goes for 20mins but you will walk away inspired and with a beautiful reminder of how to live a happier life. Thank you XX Bek

http://youtu.be/cRxTCj9_VPk

• Moderators

Yes indeed dgrimm60! I saw that and knew I needed to post it! I hope others watch it and find it useful! God bless!