ClubAdventist is back!

So, how important is the church to you?

rudywoofs (Pam)

Thats a valid point you make joeb. Rebellion is generally defined as those fighting against whatever the establishment,,, uh,,, has established. God established this Church, it is a very serious thing to fight against it. One needs to be absolutely sure they are on the right side. The winners of such a rebellion are generally considered the forward and correct thinkers, but not always.

Lots of "coups", anarchists, dictators also rebelled against the established order. Who was "right" depends on which side of the fence you find yourself. As a Christian I am seriously concerned with the religious aspects of a controversy and see it as crucial that we are on the correct side of the fence when the smoke clears!

So which side was the correct side in the USA Civil War? Easy to say the North, since they won, the country stayed united and the North wrote the history books. :)

Ellen White goes into some detail about this war, even specific battles and the involvement of both good and evil angels. Good angels aren't always the ones presevering life, sometimes they take life! See Testimonies to the Church, Vol 1 for more on this.

She says God was punishing this Nation, BOTH sides. The South for slavery, the North for failing to take decisive action to stop it. Indeed, the North was even secretly promoting it!

What I like about this Church: We have so much information in the Spirit of Prophecy to help us with the principles involved to make the right decision about which side of the fence to be on.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClubV12

• CoAspen

• Naomi

• rudywoofs (Pam)

• Moderators
In terms of what the corporate church believes, yes, it is the world-wide church in session who decides what "truth" to accept. But it is still the individual who ultimately decides whether a proposition is truth or not.

It's a long list of those who opposed that corportate bodies doctrinal positions and left the Church as a result. It doesn't begin with Dr. Kellogg, but he is part of that group. Dr. Ford and his position on the sanctuary caused him to leave. A.T. Jones and Wagonner left not from doctrine but from personal lifestyle choices. Wagonner breaking the seventh commandment in spite of warnings and reproof from the prophet. Jones seeking more income and status, also ignoring the direct counsel of the prophet.

I believe in ALL cases the ONE factor they share is "ego", "pride". Great men, with great ideas, who wanted to do things their way, or hit the highway. Unwilling to set their ideas aside and come into harmony with the brethren. Unwilling to "submit" to authority.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that in each instance the people in question sought reformation and revival of the establishment, not to break away from an established order. The fact that the established order threw out those seeking reformation and revival does not mean those seeking reformation and revival were rebellious towards anyone. I see it as these people placing loyalty to God and His word above human organizations, and that's how each of the people in question explained their own actions.

Those who were rebellious were actually the established order for they were the ones fighting against God.

This was precisely the point I was trying to make. Luther, EGW and fellow travelers were not "in rebellion" even though they opposed the established leadership of their churches. Similarly an SdA who opposed the established leadership is not ipso facto "in rebellion".

God never said "Thou shalt not think".