ClubAdventist is back!

'Just' a Question

cricket

If John knew Judas was a thief who was taking money from the moneybags and using it for himself, then why was Judas' thievery not addressed before Jesus was crucified?

I think it may have been mere conjecture; an added after-thought that John threw in to help justify (to the reader) the reasons Judas might receive condemnation.

Ellen White says that Judas thought himself more important than the other disciples because he carried the moneybag. Somehow he had deceived the other disciples into believing in his high opinion of himself so he had a strong influence over them. See Desire of Ages 559.3. Maybe it was never addressed before Jesus' crucifixion because the disciples didn't realize it was such a huge problem. I have a hunch they were more focused on themselves than what Judas was up to.

If you don't have access to a printed copy of Desire of Ages, whiteestate.org has all her books online. I have found this site to be a great resource!

• Moderators

What I'v often wondered is since Judas was expecting to be the treasurer of the greatest kingdom that ever existed, I wonder if he simply took "loans" that he knew he'd be able to pay back as he was super weathy in that kingdom. Maybe even having IOUs for what he "borrowed"

• Administrators

What if He was purposely not wanting to expose him, waiting to see if He could win him through love. He dealt with him differently than how he handled Peter...

Pretty hard to judge a motive.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Not sure that he knew! But we do know that Jesus knew. Didn't God the Father and God the Son (Jesus) know that Lucifer was causing trouble? I'd say the same reason applies here. Just my thoughts/opinion on this.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}