ClubAdventist is back!

Racial Segregation in the SDA Chruch

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

To stimulate your thinking:

JOURNAL OF THE ADVENTIST THEOLOGICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 23, Number 2, 2012 Claran Hollancid, "Racial Segregation Practice in a Religious Context." Pages 112 -130.

NOTE: In spite of the date, this is the current issue.

If you are not aware of this journal, your may contact them at:

www.atsjats.org

ats86@email.com

P. O. Box 86, Berrien springs, MI 49103

P.O. Box 551, Collegedale, TN 37315

Gregory

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the post, Greg.

You might want to listen to David Williams view on the topic of racial segregation in the Adventist church on audioverse.org. You can click on the link below which will take you to the first part of the six part seminar.

https://www.audioverse.org/english/sermons/recordings/1988/the-racial-divides-part-1.html

• Moderators

I have listened to five minutes of the first talk. On that basis, I have formed an opinion! How is that for giving him a fair chance?

I believe that the first four hours are likely to be exceptionally good, challenging and likely of value to just about everyone.

As to the last two hour, I simply reserve judgment, to be made after listening tot he first four hours.

Of course, I could be wrong and end up changing my mind on any and all of the above. :) :)

Gregory

• Members

at first it appeared I'd have to pay $15 on the website in order to read the article....

but it can be read HERE in a .pdf format

_______

I read the article - it's rather a sociological treatise. I don't feel it was very well written, as it barely addressed racial segregation in the SDA Church. Furthermore, the first few pages seemed to equate religious experience only in terms of social/cultural benefits - then the paper somehow morphed into 18th and 19th century descriptions of segregationist mindsets, then tried to corollate that with contemporary issues.

I'm not sure if the author was only trying to provide the historical context of racial segregation within the religious experience (which *is* an interesting story), or if he was trying to identify issues of racial segregation in the SDA church (which I don't really think he did, other than mention predominantly black churches, black conferences, and Oakwood College).

"Through it all, black-white segregation in the religious context and as seen in the SDA church is something that has been filled with negative ‘racial’ overtones. Today, while some argue for church ‘racial’ segregation based on personal preference, referencing factors like worship style, besides others as discussed in this paper, a reflexive mood and dark cloud still hangs over the church like an unrelenting ghost. Further, in America, racial segregation practices in the religious context arose out of a social milieu in which racial prejudice, subjugation, separation and discrimination were not only rampant but overt and accepted as well. That milieu made its way into the (SDA) church." [the author did not give current examples of that statement]

"Today, as the clock ticks, this struggle not only ensues, but continues to define Seventh-day Adventism; this sore spot in the soul of the Adventist Church." [if this was the thesis of the paper, the author did not supply supporting information/documentation.]

imho, the paper has the earmarks and potential of being quite an interesting, provocative treatise, but is very much lacking in specific current data and research...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

pam has responded to the article that I cited at the beginning of this thread.

I posted it to challenge and Pam should be respected for hir observation on the article.

My most recent post, earlier today referenced six (6) recorded lectures, which I have not heard. However, based upon listening to five minutes, I have recommended 4our of them and simply said that I would wait and see on the last two.

Don't mix up the two different citations.

Gregory