ClubAdventist is back!

GYC Vs “The One Project” – A shocking fact about our shaking church

mel20

Amazing discussions. First time I ever heard of the GYC movement about seven years ago I found myself attending their meetings without knowing anything about them, except I saw it was for youth, although seniors were not excluded from attending. So I started investigating what this was all about.

A vice president of the General Conference told me there seemed to be nothing objectionable about their presentations, but the problem with the GYC people was that they worked completely independent of the organization and seemed to have no intention of cooperating with the church. So when the youth departments of the organized church were following the plans often laid years ahead of time, they discovered they had to cancel prepaid arrangements because the GYC felt it was their privilege to arrange anything they felt like any time it pleased them, no matter what arrangements the church had made for the young people.

Then I spoke to the person who had made the local arrangements. He told me that he was an elder in the local church, and as such he had the authority to make any arrangements he thought might benefit the young people, and that he did not have to ask anyone else for permission. So he had invited a speaker and sent out invitations to youth in several countries without notifying the youth leaders in these countries, as far as I understood.

I had never heard of The One Project when saw some critical claims about this project. That criticism was of the same nature as has been seen here on this page, and the more I investigate I discover there is no more honesty in the criticism than what Gregory and Tom have pointed out.

Is this how Satan is going to destroy our church? Who is he using in his efforts?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gregory Matthews

• Tom Wetmore

• Johann

• mel20

Thanks Tom for the facts! It was exactly as expected! I knew nothing about this Sweet person and had not heard of him, but when I read the pieces of quotes and opinions with out the full context my 'suspicion meter' jumped to max. Confirmed again, we continue to have 'rag paper' type of negativity about people and events surrounding the church and individuals. Can only say.....well, I won't say!!

Dear Johann, this "forever enemy" mentality (Once fault always fault) always leads to alergic and the fault-finding mentality. This never leads the sincerity to correct/redirect any GYC's mistakes and keep the movement at the same time.... but this groups always have a massive rejoicing as they find a beautiful access to condemn GYC, and demanding for GYC to be discontinued, however all the other deceptive movement like "The Project One" should keep alive. [because they love and support that kind of movement--no matter what]

That's not the spirit of real Christianity, and somehow that's not fair either. (Fault founding mentality, but keep silent/no rebuke of every false doctrines of the other group by misapplying: "Jesus. All) It seems like the satanic spirit: "Forgive them, Lord, except the Conservatives I hate)

It doesn't matter how perfect your condemnation to GYC, but while you choose to silent and willfully neglecting to compare the INGREDIENTS of GYC vs. "The One Project"... then this is a real attack by picturing someones or churches as the victims of GYC. What a subtle attitude!

It is a mandatory that you MUST also make a huge protest and complain directly to God about His Patriarchs, PROPHETS, and Kings in the Bible times due to every blatant errors they made on purpose, but God 1. still used and blessed them, but 2. Killed and destroyed all the rebellious & the disobedience ones. (What make the different in this God's action)

Nevertheless, Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Johann wrote: "A vice president of the General Conference told me there seemed to be nothing objectionable about their presentations, but the problem with the GYC people was that they worked completely independent of the organization and seemed to have no intention of cooperating with the church."

Please, stop your sense of hypocrite (if you want). Why you keep silent and not protesting of what happened in Southern Adventist University and Spectrum Magazine when "they worked completely independent of the organization" by making a totally independent seminar but hijacked the official name "Adventist"? Yes, Spectrum Magazine hijacked the official word in their seminar "2013 Adventist Forum Conference"

If you condemn GYC by slandering "...seemed to have no intention of cooperating with the church." What about Spectrum that in fact even invited one of the most evil evil in the Christianity: Brian McLaren???

Furthenmore, Spectrum needs to tell the worldwide SDA organization what's the purpose that they made students may came to the seminar for free, giving away the dangerous book of Mc Laren for free and free lunchs. What about you opinion about that?

They will make more and more hijacked activities like this in the future, anyway. No official SDA organization involved nor even notified due to the Spectrum's worries about disapproval.

Btw, Johann...your one sided anger will soon invites God's curse sooner rather than later. This is too much. Watch out, man. Be blessed and happy New Year.

• Administrators

Moderator Note:

I did not detect a tone of anger from Johann's post. However, I do detect a significant tone of anger and accusations from much of what you have posted, Mel.

I would suggest that you tone it down and withhold accusations against other members. That sort of conduct is not acceptable in these forums.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

There are some who indulge in levity, sarcasm, and even mockery toward those who differ with them. Others present an array of objections to any new view; and when these objections are plainly answered by the words of Scripture, they do not acknowledge the evidence presented, nor allow themselves to be convinced. Their questioning is not for the purpose of arriving at truth, but was intended merely to confuse the minds of others. {GW92 128.1}

thumbsup

Not to mention that's a repeat of the enemy of soul's intention.

Used by him against Truth wherever it is revealed. I'm sorry to say I'm not always guiltless about the yielding to the same deceitful temptation. Thank God for a merciful Savior.

"He said, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;

My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,

My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge;

My savior, You save me from violence.

“I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,

And I am saved from my enemies.2 Samuel 22:2-4 NASB

God cares! Jesus! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
All of us contain error in our understanding of God and what God wants of us.

Perhaps it would be good to search the Scripture for what we can know for sure.

"But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and He has made known to (fill in the blank) what will be in the latter days. "Daniel 2:28 NKJV

God saves! Jesus cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
#684144 - Yesterday at 12:03

Thanks for that input, Og. It just helped to fasten down some of the quotes you gave earlier that indicated how a small measure of poison will make the whole cup death dealing. Something like this:

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die" Genesis 3:4 KJV

God cares Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

The One Project:"Let's talk more and more about Jesus, but less and less about doctrines." How about that?

Is "doctrine" a dirty word? Why are some so allergic to certain distinctive messages and labeled them as "fanatics" and "judgemental"?

I think to rebuke is totally different than to condemn.

Quote:
Is this how Satan is going to destroy our church? Who is he using in his efforts?

We have positive instruction for those who believe in the SoP, satan will be unsuccessful in destroying the Seventh Day Adventist movement, though that doesn't mean he won't try.

Brethren, we must sink the shaft deep in the mine of truth. You may question matters with yourselves and with one another, if you only do it in the right spirit; but too often self is large, and as soon as investigation begins, an unchristian spirit is manifested. This is just what Satan delights in, but we should come with a humble heart to know for ourselves what is truth. The time is coming when we shall be separated and scattered, and each one of us will have to stand without the privilege of communion with those of like precious faith; and how can you stand unless God is by your side, and you know that He is leading and guiding you? Whenever we come to investigate Bible truth, the Master of assemblies is with us. The Lord does not leave the ship one moment to be steered by ignorant pilots. We may receive our orders from the Captain of our salvation.... {TDG 93.2}

As to the second sentence:

Anyone who leaves themselves open to pride of opinion.

"When arguing with your neighbor,

don’t betray another person’s secret.

Others may accuse you of gossip,

and you will never regain your good reputation.

Timely advice is lovely, like golden apples in a silver basket."Proverbs 25:9-11 NLT

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Quote:
The One Project:"Let's talk more and more about Jesus, but less and less about doctrines." How about that?

Is "doctrine" a dirty word? Why are some so allergic to certain distinctive messages and labeled them as "fanatics" and "judgemental"?

i believe the doctrine of Jesus is the truth upon which all truths find their place. if you have Jesus every doctrine will unfold to you. if you have doctrine without Jesus you are in a most precarious place.

God is love, Jesus expressed the love of God. the pillar of truth upon which all other truths are held up by is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

we do not have any too much of Jesus.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I got on the The One Project's Facebook page and was shocked to see an Adventist pastor selling tickets to an event that was scheduled to take place on the Sabbath of that meeting. The event was operated by a private business, and would require private employees to operate, and had nothing to do with religion. Plenty of other things to do that day. And this pastor's post on the One Project's Facebook page didn't just appear for a brief time, but had been up for a week. Multiple postings in fact, they never got taken down. The one person who questioned what they were seeing had their comment taken down. The tickets were indeed for sale by an official pastor employed by the SDA church.

• Moderators

I am frustrated by people who allege grave wrong and fail to document what they claim:

1) I do not understand whether the event was to occur on the Sabbath or the tickets were being sold on the Sabbath.

2) It is alleged, as I understand it, that the event which was to happen on the Sabbath had nothing to do with religion. O.K. what was it? Was the event telling people how to purchase and sell real estate?

3) What is this about a private business?

4) Who was the alleged pastor? Without a name no one can document that this person was actually a pastor. People have been known to post on that Internet in a manner that presented themselves as SDA clergy when they were not.

5) There is no documentation of the claims. We are supposed to believe them on the basis of that claim of a person who choses not to tell us who he/she is. Well, that person has that right. Perhaps if that person identified themselves we would have a better idea as to why he/she did not want to tell us who they are. One can only speculate.

Gregory

Thanks for your post Gregory. I suspected that you and Tom would find a way to come out in support of Sweet, and condemn any opposition to his teachings. I don't mind, it confirms a suspicion that I have held for some time now.

Leonard Sweet says that he is not emergent. He has written a defense of his theology at his website in 2010, called A Response To Critics, which Tom got. He claims that his theology has been “minsinterpeted.” He rejects the thought that he supports emergent thinking, or that he is a New Age sympathizer and promoter. He says, “Because I quote someone does not mean I agree with everything that person ever wrote.” (As a pastor, is it wise to quote in your sermons someone who is a false teacher?) Then he tries to make the case that the apostle Paul did the same thing! And he says about his book Quantum Spirituality: “Would I write the same book today? No. Would I say some things differently? Yes.”

Here is one of many quotations from Quantum Spirituality:

"A surprisingly central feature of all the world’s religions is the language of light in communicating the divine and symbolizing the union of the human with the divine: Muhammed’s light-filled cave, Moses’ burning bush, Paul’s blinding light, Fox’s “inner light,” Krishna’s Lord of Light, Bohme’s light-filled cobbler shop, Plotinus’ fire experiences, Bodhisattvas with the flow of Kundalini’s fire erupting from their fontanelles, and so on.” P. 235

Yet in all this defense, he did not renounce, and has not yet done so, this book and others such as Soul Tsunami; he continues to sell these books on his website. That does not make sense. Yet, look for him to be a featured speaker at the Seattle One Project.

Let's turn to the contemporary scene. On his website, you will find him promoting a series of retreats called “Advances”, with this description supposedly derived from Scripture:

“Read the Gospel of Mark. In many ways the gospel is organized according to the “advances” Jesus took. Count the number of times Mark says “And Jesus came apart.”

Now look deeper into where Jesus “came apart”, the mountains, the desert, and the water. Three different bons vaux, sacred spaced, landscapes of the sacred. The three natural places which have the power to help restore us to physical, mental and spiritual harmony. Your soul needs three sacred spaces. Which one depends on the state your soul is in."

Where does Leonard Sweet come up with the teaching that “your soul needs three sacred spaces?” Is there really power in these natural spaces to restore us spiritually? Christ is not enough and all that we need? Apparently this is part of his ability to see things the rest of us can’t see! Can you see the problem here though? None of this is Scriptural!

Leonard Sweet believes you can breath God in your nostrils. In his 2012 book "I Am A Follower", Sweet quotes Sufi poet Kabir who says, “God is the breath inside the breath.”

Sweet then makes the following blasphemous comment: “All of creation is made alive with the holy breath of the Creator. Breathing Yahweh breath is breathing the holy breath of life. Yahweh. … Our breathing and heartbeat are in tune with the name. Breathe in ‘Yah’ and breathe out ‘weh’ … I guarantee you will relax.”

This heresy is the product of contemplative prayer, which Sweet is recommending in this passage. Sweet is the author and co-author of more than 30 books. It should also be noted that after his 2010 disclaimer that Tom produced, Sweet co authored a book with Frank Viola that deals in the same mysticism, gnosticism and altered states of consciousness.

His May 27, 2010 tweet "Want to find God? Look in the face of the next person you meet" came after his rather patronizing "A Response to Recent Misunderstandings" blog post. This tweet is an echo of Meister Eckhart, a universalist classic mystic that Sweet ascribes to.

In the end, Leonard Sweet is just another faulty founder and product of the emergent movement and its focus on attempting to come up with a type of Christianity the world will find appealing. This is unmistakable when Sweet tells us in his book Nudge:

"When I am engaging with people of other religious faiths, I find myself unable to commit to their conclusions or agree with their assessments. Yet at the same time I come away encouraged by spiritual truths found in their traditions, thrilled by new insights into my own faith, and more passionate than ever about being a disciple of Christ."

Sweet’s patronizing statement about finding himself being “unable” to”commit” to the “conclusions” of other religions aside, the genuine Christian minister would know that these people are actually blind to the spiritual truths found in Holy Scripture (1 Corinthians 2:14); and as such, he would hardly be “encouraged” by their idolatrous religions. A real minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ would know that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God (1 Corinthians 10:20).

I am currently out of town and my time on here will be sporadic. Blessings to all,

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

Olger, You quoted from a book published many years ago, which Sweet says does not represent his present views.

You should have stated that this was a 20 year old book.

You are not fair to him is failing to acknowledge his changed views.

I am disappointed in you. I expected better from you.

Gregory

Olger, You quoted from a book published many years ago, which Sweet says does not represent his present views.

You should have stated that this was a 20 year old book.

You are not fair to him is failing to acknowledge his changed views.

I am disappointed in you. I expected better from you.

You didn't get it, Gregory, did you? We should have expected better from a pastor. How can the sheep stay on course when their shepherd cannot distinguish truth from error?

Reread Olger's last response to you. There are some important facts that you should notice, so that you can lead your sheep properly. If you have carefully read that post, I think you'll understand internally, if not admit publically, that your statements here about Olger and about Sweet's "changed views" are incorrect.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I followed your example and looked up the Facebook page. I did not find anywhere what you refer to, but I saw this quote:

Quote:
"We need far less controversy, and far more presentation of Christ. Our Redeemer is the center of all our faith and hope." EGW, Colporteur Evangelist page 60

Green Cochoa stated:"GYC is the place to be."

Amen. I am humbly convinced so

And "The One Project" should be the target of our intensive prayer for them to stop their self-derailing... so that our beloved brothers and sisters at "The One Project" and GYC may be the real one, and Biblical one project in the same Spirit.

Please, (I am also talking to myself now) stop thinking that GYC is "infallible" and a sinless group; Also stop thinking that no godly people in "The One Project" that seeking the meaning and the real Biblical Truth in a sense of our Adventisms.

It is our duty to rebuke with love, regardless the consequences to be alleged or attacked of being "judgmental", "to allege other groups", etc. God will intervene us in this point-if we do our part.

"But God will have a people upon the earth to maintain the Bible, and the Bible only, as the standard of all doctrines and the basis of all reforms." (The Great Controversy, Ch.37.p.595)

Indeed, finally there must be only TWO groups of people on earth: Wheats vs Tares. No third party as a highway to heaven.

I personally find it small when one ministry that reaches out to a tiny fraction of adventism and the world, attacks another one because they do not have a program that is as perfect as theirs.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Is a spiritual life one of stagnation or a continual dynamic? Do we ignore all of the good David did or castigate him for his lustful/muderous behavior and ignore all? The same can be said for Solomon, the same for Saul/Paul who murdered for God. Why are peoples who claim to follow Christ so intent on bringing down others who do/thing/ believe differently then themselves?

Let them who are with out SIN, cast the first stone. I don't remember Christ, with out sin, throwing any rocks!

There is alot of nastiness in certain circles, IMO.