ClubAdventist is back!

10 questions on church/worship services

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

a friend of mine is doing research for his doctoral dissertation and needs help...

If you'd be so kind, could you answer the following questions? He'd be EVER so grateful!! (It's only 10 questions)

THANKS!

Here they are:

1. What is the purpose of worship?

2. How is that purpose realized personally and corporately in this generation?

3. What is involved in worship at the local church level?

4. What percentages would you assign to elements in a regular church service regarding practices as to their overall value?

Prayer: %

Music: %

Reading Scripture: %

Sermon or Teaching: %

Responsive Readings: %

Tithing: %

Other: %

5. Do you believe that worship is more or less effective today than in the past? Why?

6. Are traditional/historical practices an aid or a hinder to worship?

7. Where is worship best conducted?

8. Where do you feel most comfortable connecting to God?

9. What establishes a proper mind set for worship?

10. If you could personally reshape or remove anything within your local church regarding worship, what would that be? Why?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

a friend of mine is doing research for his doctoral dissertation and needs help...

If you'd be so kind, could you answer the following questions? He'd be EVER so grateful!! (It's only 10 questions)

THANKS!

Here they are:

I'll take a stab at this. The following are based on my church of membership, not the present church plant where I have attended for months.

I see the purpose of worship as a time of drawing close to God, appreciating His work in our lives, and seeking to be molded more into His likeness.

2. How is that purpose realized personally and corporately in this generation?

Worship can and should be realized daily in one's personal life. Corporate worship is also important as we each share in the experience and have opportunities to strengthen others who are weaker or going through special trials. We can learn much from the experience of others, and the Bible speaks of God's presence being "where two or three are gathered in [His] name."

3. What is involved in worship at the local church level?

Worship involves a number of aspects which show that God is our trust, our Savior, and our Lord. These include prayer, praise, singing, tithes and offerings, obedience, and Bible reading/study. The local church usually involves all of these aspects in corporate worship and other church-related activities.

4. What percentages would you assign to elements in a regular church service regarding practices as to their overall value?

I'm making an assumption here that the total of the following is to be 100%; i.e. that it is a "proportion" that is sought here, not so much a measure of each one individually.

Prayer: 15%

Music: 18%

Reading Scripture: 15%

Sermon or Teaching: 20%

Responsive Readings: 0%

Tithing: 15%

Other: 17%

5. Do you believe that worship is more or less effective today than in the past? Why?

Worship today is often less effective than in the past because it much more "inreach" focused and geared towards "entertainment." What people really need is to be fed the pure truth, even if it "steps on toes," and they need an "outreach" perspective for the sake of their own spiritual health. Worship must be faith-based, not feeling-based. For example, one should not choose to tithe or not to tithe based on the pastor's likability--this should be a matter of principle, with our focus on Jesus.

6. Are traditional/historical practices an aid or a hinder to worship?

Some of both. Having a well-organized church service is an aid to worship. Having a worship service where no one dares to bend the routine for any reason is a hindrance.

7. Where is worship best conducted?

Worship is best conducted any place where the worshipers can comfortably meet, open up, and share. The best is to have a family atmosphere, where each one feels they have a place in the group and know they are loved and appreciated. That love helps to focus the heart on God and His love toward us.

8. Where do you feel most comfortable connecting to God?

I, personally, like to find a quiet place alone. There are times when corporate worship has helped me in ways that I could not have been helped alone. Both are important.

9. What establishes a proper mind set for worship?

A sense of surrender to God's will and a desire to obey Him no matter the cost.

10. If you could personally reshape or remove anything within your local church regarding worship, what would that be? Why?

Tough question. My church does fairly well in almost every area. If we could manage it, it might be nice to purchase a bus or two and offer ride-service to those who have no good transportation to the church. The church has considered this, but not many members are licensed to drive a bus. (About half of the active members live over 25 miles away--in different directions, of course.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

• Moderators

Response to # 10:

Don't purchase a bus until you have organized the respective members into bringing people to church while coming themselves.

NOTE: If many are coming from 25 miles away it should be easy to plan a route by which they can bring some people.

NOTE: Someone (I have forgotten who.) once said that a congregation should not purchase a bus before members had purchased vehicles large enough for them to bring some people. Then purchase if so many people want to come that the members can not bring all of them.

NOTE: Twelve or 15 passenger vehicles do not typically require a special bus drivers license.

Gregory

• Administrators

1. purpose of worship? to glorify God

2. purpose is realized through non verbal communication, smiling, rejoicing, praising attitude, honoring, reverencing deportment,

verbally, in words, and orally in singing, socially in warmth, emotional expression, empathy, expressions of faith love and trust, hope and confidence in one another and in God. through study of scriptures.

3.what is involved in worship? a place made clean and beautiful, enough room for all who would arrive. sound system, musical instruments, bibles, speakers, musicians, leaders of groups, and presenters of messages, and people who come to listen and join in singing, and sharing. The presence of the Holy Spirit inspiring the worship.

4.prayer 20%

music 20%

reading scripture 10%

sermon or teaching 10%

responsive reading 0%

tithing 0%

other- sharing 50%

5. is worship less effective? no

6. traditional practices aid or hinder? hinder

7. where is worship best conducted, anywhere the people prepare and the Spirit leads. i think natural surroundings are best under those conditions.

8. in my room alone.

9. a proper mindset is established by the work of the Holy Spirit.

10.i would add lots of beautiful living foliage around the foyer entry area, and around the front beautiful flowers hanging like in Hawaii. we very much need to have a much larger place for all our guests and members to all fit and eat and fellowship together, we need like 8 more large tables room for 36 to 40 more people. we have to kind of wait for people to finish, and for others to sit down, this is not so good.

we need a bigger place altogether.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members

Thank you so much for your responses!!! It's VERY appreciated!!!!!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?