ClubAdventist is back!

New Light Desperation

M. T. Cross

I see this everywhere.

People being so desperate for some kind of new spiritual light.

Reading the Theological Townhall here it is the basis for about 90% of the posts. But its not just here, I see it in the pagan community as well.

I think there is a fine line there between wanting a deeper understanding and trying to find something new.

There are two problems, as I see it, that often occur in this new light search.

First is, there is an ego factor. People wanting the glory for discovering this NEW light. It usually is for financial gain or the need to be a guru of some type.

Second is, too many times this search for new light is a desperate attempt to reinvent the wheel to fit with what the individual wants. Sometimes, in all belief systems, there are things that make us uncomfortable. We can either look at why those issues make us uncomfortable or we can try to prove them wrong. In my opinion one is much more blessed when they let themselves be molded by the light they are presented with than when one tries to mold the light to themselves.

See the thing is, a person needs to get to know the old light first. Rather than try and interpret it in a way that fits what YOU want, take what is right there in front of your face and get to know it intimately. Make it a part of your spiritual DNA. Once you do that a new understanding may come to you. I highlight the word new because its almost the wrong word. I think what we need, people of all faiths, is a clearer understanding.

• Members

I'm in total agreement MT. Kind of reminds me of the Prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. Where old light is being continuely brought to light. In reality, as you say, the new light is really old light.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

a clamoring appetite for something new may be evidence of boredom.

movie watchers love the new panorama of trailers of the coming exciting line up.

news buffs click or reach for the latest news waves in the media.

techies eat up the newest inventions and devices at the high tech showcases.

we love what is new and feed on it till we want no more of it, and then again look for something new.

Gamers burn out on the old game and devour the newest game with a new immersion in new textures, powers, mysteries, enemies and sometimes intrigue.

i like new friends, new recipes, new fabric patterns and prints, new projects and my car detailed, and made like new.

in Jesus time a new messiah was emerging over and over, and people hoped and checked it out hoping over and over. and we still have them here and there, a charismatic leader promising new life and hope. Last week i watched a vice special on a messiah with thousands living around him in Siberia. what blissfully happy colony.

now we hope for healing and longer life with new medical research. we hope for world peace with a new charismatic leader, we hope for wealth with a new investment, and renovated relationships with a new guru counselor.

i find the greatest newness in the most ancient source. where i find the daily new birth. I live yet not i, but Christ liveth in me, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

:like:

I believe we have two extremes, those that are always looking for the new to prove something is not quite right and the opposite is staying stuck in the past and lamenting a loss of tradition. Again, seeing something wrong. I see both as a constant focus on others and not on Christ. Those in the middle of all this wonder if they are supposed to be doing something different in their lives because of the constant tug and pull by the ends of the spectrum. New Light is not chronology, new direction, new focus, but continued focus on Christ. The H*S was sent to be a guide in our understanding and as we begin to understand what we have in place we then see new possibilities. It is new light/understanding for us as individuals, a continued and on ongoing process.....progress.

• Administrators

It's a tricky topic! How do I know that something that is new light to me and helps my understanding is something I need to press on the whole world?

Apparent "new light" has taken some people down the path to weirdness

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

For me the answer is my previous statement.....

The message to the world/others/friends/church members, is that Christ died for us all, if we choose to believe, we are saved. That thought come from J3:16. The feeling that 'new light' should be passed onto others presumes that others don't know what we do. Well, maybe they do, maybe they don't or maybe we simply continue let others see the difference in us. If that is noticed, then tell others of your own experience. That does not mean it has to be their experience, the H*S is their guide.

• Members

I'm always amazed when folks come to C/A with their new ideas/charts/philosophies and attempt to "teach" the rest of us.... there's a BIG difference between coming here with the intent on discussion vs intent on being the one with new light and all the answers...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

i appreciate that Christ is the light, and new light would be a greater revelation of Christ, and this happens when we are not so concerned any more with defending ourselves, and lifting up ourselves, or our ideas.

the difficulty comes when we talk or think about lifting up Christ, that is like talking about lifting mount Rushmore, or lifting the empire state building with bare hands. Christ is the mighty rock. he is the light streaming from the throne of God so brilliant we are not only blinded but paralyzed by it's power.

God alone is able to work in and through us to lift up Christ in our words, conduct and relationships.

deb

Love awakens love.

• Moderators

My comment is general and not directed to any specific person.

Those who come here with "new light," often do not understand the basis for the "old light" well enough to talk about it. All to often, their ignorance is apparent to those who are reading their posts.

I do not believe that the "old light" is always right. Truth must be applied. The application of truth may change as the context in which truth must be applied changes. Just because we did it this way years ago does not mean that it should be done that way today.

In the context of our time "new light" may come forward that was not needed in the old times. But, those who advocate the new must understand the context of the old and the struggles that we went through in those old times as we reached agreement in those days. A failure to understand this often negates the new message that we proclaim.

Gregory

• Administrators

honestly i have little experience with persons excited about new light and promoting their new light.

i have experienced individuals who are enthused and would dominate church services and Sabbath school classes with their "original" views and they are not lifting up Jesus. all the attention is landing on them. and then speakers who are refreshing and lift up Jesus and mercy and hope, and power to live for God's glory.

then we have those who step up and say, this may not speak to you but Jesus is working through this person to reach so and so and these others.

and so tolerance is exercised.

and various pastors and speakers all have their 40 minutes to do their public speaking, some more often then others, some more welcome then others. Everyone listening chews on what is presented. and often spend more time chewing on the speaker. and the listeners vote, by leaving, reducing tithes and offerings, and complaining or not.

sorting out the fanatics and protecting your vulnerable members from it can be testy. it's not always black and white.

deb

Love awakens love.