ClubAdventist is back!

I wonder__________

LifeHiscost

___________how this relates to Seventh Day Adventist Christians?

http://theweek.com/article/index/255403/...ign=partnership

The world's most ancient Christian communities are being destroyed — and no one cares

Christians in the Middle East have been the victims of pogroms and persecution. Where's the outrage in the West?

By Michael Brendan Dougherty | January 23, 2014

In 2013, Raphael I Sako, the Chaldean Patriarch of Baghdad, said the following at his installation homily, "Still the shadow of fear, anxiety, and death is hanging over our people." He warned: "If emigration continues, God forbid, there will be no more Christians in the Middle East. It will be no more than a distant memory." West's book is a sobering reminder that Western policy has helped shape this grim fate for Middle Eastern Christians — and Western silence allows it to continue.

Jesus/God saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

frp, lifehiscost

Quote:
___________how this relates to Seventh Day Adventist Christians?

Quote:
christian persecution article

" The Arab Spring, and to a lesser extent the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, were touted as the catalysts for a major historic shift in the region. From Egypt to Syria to Iraq, the Middle East's dictatorships would be succeeded by liberal, democratic regimes. Years later, however, there is very little liberality or democracy to show. Indeed, what these upheavals have bequeathed to history is a baleful, and barely noticed legacy: The near-annihilation of the world's most ancient communities of Christians.

The persecution of Christians throughout the Middle East, as well as the silence with which it has been met in the West, are the subject of journalist Ed West's Kindle Single "The Silence of Our Friends." The booklet is a brisk and chilling litany of horrors: Discriminatory laws, mass graves, unofficial pogroms, and exile. The persecuted are not just Coptic and Nestorian Christians who have relatively few co-communicants in the West, but Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants as well.

Throughout the Middle East the pattern is the same. Christians are murdered in mob violence or by militant groups. Their churches are bombed, their shops destroyed, and their homes looted. Laws are passed making them second-class citizens, and the majority of them eventually leave."

Muslims have been persecuting Christians for a long time. there is a reason the Christian population is about 2 or 3 percent in arab/muslim countries. But for persecution there would be a lot more Christians in those nations today.

Christian religion without God has also done it's share of persecution.

Here is one small piece of history of Muslim persecution, i believe it may be as bad or worse then the Christian persecution of Christian heretics in Europe about the same time.

The power of religion joined with physical force without God to result in persecution is something demonstrated since Cain. Human nature does not have a change without God's power and grace.

so this speaks to Adventist who comprehend what human nature does without divine grace restraining it.

glance at Christian persecution in the past

1. The Era of Conquests

(Seventh to Eleventh Century)

from Armenia

During the year 551 (the date is wrong and could be 511,1062) of the Armenian

era, the Turks under the command of three of Sultan Tughril [beg]?s

generals, called Slar Khorasan, Mdjmdj [Medjmedj] and Isulv, [brought about

a torrent of blood on the Christian nation and they] invaded the district of

Baghin in the Fourth Armenia and sacked it. From there [like a venomous

snake], they moved into the adjacent districts of Thelkhum and Arghni,

where they took the Christians by surprise and exterminated them. The

massacre began on the 4th of the month of Areg, a Saturday, at the eighth

hour of the day (there follows a vivid description of massacre that is not translated

by Dulaurier. The translation into English has been made from Dulaurier?s French

translation, with omissions reintegrated in square brackets). [p. 296]

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I would suggest many religions that profess to be Christian, follow human leaders other than the Christ of the Word, which allows much mischief in the name of Christianity and permits the necessity of this guidance.

"For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God’s chosen ones."Mark 13:22 NLT

And also leads to this necessary instruction for the chosen.

"Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.”"2 Corinthians 6:17 NKJV

BTW the instruct "glance at Christian persecution in the past "

did not lead to a webpage.

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

I agree

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

This is just history repeating itself. Deb is right, there has long been conflict between Muslims and Christians, and many many lives lost.

But I have to question how this is any different from a 1000 years ago when Christians marched through Europe "converting" people from their cultural beliefs with a sword and spear?

Bottom line is that true religious liberty demands that all be allowed the right to worship who and how they are convicted.

• Administrators

But I have to question how this is any different from a 1000 years ago when Christians marched through Europe "converting" people from their cultural beliefs with a sword and spear?

Bottom line is that true religious liberty demands that all be allowed the right to worship who and how they are convicted.

I don't see it as different. I see the spirit of persecution as being exactly the same wherever it manifests itself. And remember it happened in baby America, too, under the rule of the time of those who founded Conneticut and Massachussetts. It was because of those persecutions that Roger Williams and Jefferson saw a vital importance to protect the freedom of conscience as a right in America.

It makes me think of Jesus, who did so many miraculous and good works. He could have done enough miracles to blow everyone's mind and simply take charge- but He didn't. He did just enough to show mercy yet not enough to become an earthly king beyond all doubt. His kingdom was one of the heart and not of coercion. He submitted Himself to suffer the death He did, of deepest shame and rejection.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:

It is true that God is love, which projects to every person on this earth with the hope that all will choose that which is going to be fulfilled. How that love manifests itself is largely determined by how or who we choose to serve. God loved Pharoah and gave him opportunity over and over to relinquish his strangle hold on others. Despite Pharoah's freedom of choice and God's patience with him, it wasn't enough to deliver him from his own stubborn selfishness.

Jesus saves! God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Quote:
BTW the instruct "glance at Christian persecution in the past "

did not lead to a webpage.

the other link did not work for me in the post either.

i redid this to the website and it worked in the preview window. thanks for bringing this to my attention.

a glimpse into Muslim persecution of Christians

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

Quote:

i believe it is the same principle operating whenever and wherever religious persecution occurs.

People take authority upon themselves, instead of leaving it with God. the believe they can do it right in their own strength, and the way they do it is righteous before God.

whenever religion is based on human works persecution has the potential to bloom. when they are They are doing it right in their own power, their religion is based on works. When religious believers determine they are righteous in their own strength and they can make others be righteous too, they become mean. They are coercing themselves and will ultimately coerce others.

they ultimately will believe that when they kill and punish they are righteous and doing the will of God.

This is the operating principle whether you are Quaker, Muslim, or Catholic.

deb

Love awakens love.

Quote:
This is the operating principle whether you are Quaker, Muslim, or Catholic.

Or atheist, agnostic or protestant, or fascist, democrat or republican, or communist, Buddhist or native American Indian.

Come to think of it, if your a selfish human being.

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Quote:
Or atheist, agnostic or protestant, or fascist, democrat or republican, or communist, Buddhist or native American Indian.

Come to think of it, if your a selfish human being.

i am not sure all selfish people will carry out religious persecution. Not all selfish people are "holier than thou" types.

atheists are not religious, politics is not intrinsically religious. The fervor of religious persecution has a flavor nothing else does.

there are violent felons, and sadistic individuals who are very mean, and harmful, but they do not carry out religious persecution. religious persecution is carried out by "good" people, the well intentioned.

deb

Love awakens love.

Everyone is going to serve one God or another. Some seem to know that they're not serving the Creator God and for the present, accept their lot in life. All of the human race, when only reliant on their own goodness are bound to fail. The only eternal solution that promises joy is to be undeceived to the point of willingly giving up one's own will to the God Who is love.

"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour."1 Peter 5:8 NLT

When Christ forbade the people to declare Him king, He knew that a turning point in His history was reached. Multitudes who desired to exalt Him to the throne today would turn from Him tomorrow. The disappointment of their selfish ambition would turn their love to hatred, and their praise to curses. Yet knowing this, He took no measures to avert the crisis. From the first He had held out to His followers no hope of earthly rewards. To one who came desiring to become His disciple He had said, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay His head.” Matthew 8:20. If men could have had the world with Christ, multitudes would have proffered Him their allegiance; but such service He could not accept. Of those now connected with Him there were many who had been attracted by the hope of a worldly kingdom. These must be undeceived. The deep spiritual teaching in the miracle of the loaves had not been comprehended. This was to be made plain. And this new revelation would bring with it a closer test. {DA 383.1}

Jesus cares! God saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!