ClubAdventist is back!

Enoch

ChildofChrist

Ok, I found something this afternoon/evening and know that I can't answer this on my own.

Jude 14 and 15 mentions that Enoch had prophesied and is pretty detailed. Returning to Genesis, I can not see how Jude would have known that. I did read a few chapters in the SOP but still see no indication of how Jude would have 'known' that thousands of years later. Was there some document that he could have gotten that from? confused.gif

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

It is very possible that Jude and his contemporaries had heard of prophecies made by Enoch through word of mouth.

A vast amount of Hebrew history was passed generation to generation strictly by word of mouth over thousands of years. Alot of that was compiled into the Talmud in the early centuries AD by rabbis like Akiba and Maimonides, but I don't recall seeing any reference made to prophecies by Enoch there. It is also possible that it was written in one of the many Jewish books that were excluded from canon scripture.

Interesting question.

• Moderators

"It is commonly believed that Jude quoted from . . . [the pseudepigraphical book, I Enoch]."

"This noncanonical work reads as follows: 'And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgment upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.'" See R. H. Charles THE APROCRYPHA AND THE PSEUDEPIGRAPHA OF THE OLD TESTAMENT, Vol. 2, P. 189.

I have taken the above from 7SDABC p. 708, comment on Jude 14.

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament contain quotations from noncanonical writings.

Gregory

I have a copy of the 1st and 2nd books of Enoch (my husband found it on the internet, there are lots of sites around that deal with ancient literature and texts.) It makes fascinating reading. Some of it is very esoteric and "out there", other bits seem to offer more information that makes the Biblical account make more sense. Happy studying!

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!