ClubAdventist is back!

Kevin H Retires from Air Force Reserves

Kevin H

• Moderators

I hope that you don't mind if I take advantage of this section to mention that on 1 December 2013 I retired from the Air Force Reserves. I joined active duty Army for 3 years in 1985 then went Air Force Reserves. Have been both enlisted and officer. Was at Desert Shield/Storm, and kept trying to get deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, but never made it. I was deployed to Germany to meet the wounded from mostly Iraq to help them home. I'll write more of my experiences later.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thank you for your service.

You have undergone much disruption in your life, over the years, as you have remained in the Reserves. I tried that once and decided it was not for me. So, I went active.

Gregory

• Administrators

Thank you Kevin for sharing and more important, Thank you for your service.

Your time meeting the wounded in Germany had to be an emotional time. To give courage and comfort to those who are suffering from traumatic experiences is commendable.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members

very much appreciate your service to the Country!

(I'm kinda glad you weren't deployed to Afghanistan...)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

And I am glad that you have told us about it. How interesting!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

What are you doing with your time now, Kevin?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

This was basically only working 2 days a month, two weeks of the year and occasional schools and my 2 deployments (and failing to get a third or more, I really wanted to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan) to Desert Shield/Storm and Germany.

So it's just my regular full time job as a nurse at the State Hospital, putting in some extra shifts when they let nurses put in over time, and hopefully some study. About 5 years ago I got a minor injury by a patient. Last week at a visit to my orthopedics' office he said that even though it was a minor injury, that my job still puts pressure on it and has recommended that I set a 5 year goal of getting off of floor nursing. Then last night at work I was injured by another patient, mostly the same area. I don't "hurt" but if feels pressure, the best I can describe it is if someone was pushing by back towards the middle, not painful but uncomfortable, or maybe like if a mid sized dog was to lay on your back for several hours and you want it to get up so you can move but it won't move. Spent last night in the emergency room to get it checked out, today going between ice and heating pad, and visiting my primary on Monday and ortho on Friday.

I would like to get to where I can share with children and young adults things that I understand to be Biblical principles such as Dr. William Glasser's Choice Theory/Reality Therapy, Jack Canfield's "The Success Principles" study into the methods of Christian Moore's WhyTry program, The health message (including what is pointed out by Dr. Mark Hyman in things like the Ultramind solution and the blood sugar solution, and Joel Furman's "Eat for Health" "Eat to live") and "Discover your Strengths" to help young people make better choices and develop happier marriages. And where I can be more blatantly religious more openly use the Bible. And I would like to use things such as puppets, magic, if I can team up with someone who is good with songs and games and specialize in "Ok, so you've had your birthday, now what?" parties.

Not sure the best path; part of me wants to go to school, but frankly I was financially burned by my nursing degree where I have not yet been able to buy home and to date, marry and have a family. I wanted nursing to be a stepping stone to these goals. I hope that nursing was only a detour and not a defeat. I don't want to go to another degree that might be useful for me personally but worthless in the job market like my Religion degree was, or where I only get the honor of going to work and sending most of my pay to pay for that honor as I put my life on hold as my nursing degree was.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

My back is better than I expected it to be. Also my mom is doing remarkable well from her set backs this year. We are fixing up the house for her. Still not a dating life yet.

• Moderators

And I think your Religion degree has not been a waste.   You're putting that information to good use in your daily life and with the classes you're teaching.

If you're thinking of taking out more student loans, the best rule is:   don't borrow more than you expect to earn in the first year after you obtain that degree.   IOW, keep the borrowing to a minimum.   There are other ways of obtaining a degree; i.e., buy used textbooks, work part=time while in school, only take one or two classes at a time, etc.

God bless you.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....