ClubAdventist is back!

Seeking

Gail

• Administrators

The Bible talks about seeking. Are we ever to stop seeking?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Is seeking a bad thing, even after we come to Jesus?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

after one "finds" Jesus, is there anything else to seek? Is that what the question is?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

It is good to find Jesus, but the journey does not end there. The journey continues; we seek knowledge, wisdom, etc.. How could seeking be a bad thing? Or, perhaps I am not understanding the question.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Pam gets it- that is what I meant.

• Administrators

Hummm adohangel1 :)

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

It's like- why search for more knowledge? I sat in a Sabbath School class once where the old people recited the same old Scripture answers and... that was it.

If God is infinite then why isn't our quest for knowledge?

• Administrators

And would it be fair to berate someone for reaching out for more, as if that person is a heretic for doing so.

• Members

I don't see why a person shouldn't still keep reaching for more once s/he finds Jesus. If nobody aspired towards anything more, then complacency sets in.

Jesus said He was the "Way" - that's not a static place; rather, it implies movement, growth, and travel. :-)

I've a hunch that there's LOTS more to find. Kinda like Jesus has hidden "gems" all over, and is just waiting for us to find them! (no Easter bunny jokes here, please!!! lol)

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

And yet... The viewpoint and knowledge of some denominations hasn't progressed past their leaders, ie Luther

I had a customer the other day lament the same regarding the Dutch Reformed and Calvin

I have encountered that in one of our Sabbath Schools. Mind you, the attendees were had a pretty high average age. But can't old people progress in thinking, too?

• Members

visionaries tend to be squelched..

• Moderators

We see that in the SDA Church.

After all, if it was good enough for Uriah Smith it should be good enough for Jesus and I.

Gregory

Seeking should be a lifelong quest, especially in areas as hazy as spirituality. For example, once we have a "head knowledge" of Jesus,we should seek a "heart knowledge" of Jesus. Once we have a "heart knowledge", we should seek encounters with Him.

It's kinda like seeking a mate (well - a lot like seeking a mate, since we will one day be the bride of Christ). Once we find the love we are seeking, we seek more and more intimate encounters. We seek for ways to make our lovers happy - not to earn their love - but because we are loved. As the years go by the intimacies and the suprises grow deeper and deeper.

When we quit seeking deeper intimacy with each other or the Lord, the "taking for granted" begins. I never again want to take my Savior for granted.

I really appreciate the concept presented on the last page of "The Great Controversy" [that knowledge, love, happiness, etc. will continue to progress and increase throughout eternity.]

I will be seeking for ever and ever and ever and ever!!!!!!!

• Members

I like that too Tobiwan

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

So, what is this "Edit Reason: No quote zone ..."

I am reasonably sure I identified the source and " 's were included at the beginning and end of the portion cited, and removed.

What are the rules??????

I so confuzed

Toby in New York

• Members

Tobiwan, no quoting at all is allowed in any of the Original Thoughts threads..

• Administrators

If you go to the topic menu for the Original Thoughts sub forum you can also read the locked topics to get an idea of the unique approach of this forum and how it all got started.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Thank you for keeping to the no quote rule. Tobiwan, we have read Great Controversy and just referring to it we know what you are referring to. Anything new to add to it?

When I saw the question I was sure Gail meant of course we will keep seeking, especially original thinking people. But getting down on paper exactly what we seek for is nebulous. We want peace, we want joy, we want salvation we want eternal life, we know it is in Jesus.

Are we satisfied that we have it, that we have found the end of it? No

• Administrators

I think our language limits us. There is a tendency to go for a literal understanding at really s a limiting approach. If you are seeking or looking for something, when you find it, mission accomplished. You are finished. Nothing left to be done. While we may not subscribe to a once saved, always saved doctrine, our whole approach is to get people saved, get them into the church. But we go thin on what to do after that. Even baptism is framed as a culmination after being thoroughly indoctrinated, rather than just the beginning. Too many churches and many religions the what comes next is a continuous exercise in review of what we already learned, as if that was all there was to it. We go over the same material, ask the same questions, give the same rote well rehearsed answers. It is as if our only task is not to forget.

We need a paradigm shift to frame our religious experience as one of exploration, learning, endless curiosity. Continuous study.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Well said Tom! I frequently learn things that cause me to modify my assumptions about the natural and supernatural. I try not to close my mind to anything as subjective as spirituality. When we close our minds to something, we quit learning.

There are some matters that I have decided to permanently put into my world view - like Sabbath sacredness, the divinity of Christ, and that His grace is the sole source of my salvation.

But that's my conviction; and not something I can "push" on others. Just because someone doesn't agree with me doesn't mean that one of us is on the wrong path; it just means we don't agree with each other - nothing more; nothing less. God (who knows the heart) knows who's right or wrong; and I'm OK with leaving that up to Him. My job is to seek Him and the path He has for me; not the path He has for others.