ClubAdventist is back!

Is the Easter Bunny an Abomination Before the Lord?

phkrause

• Members

Although Bible does mention the word “Easter,” nowhere in the holy text are there any Easter bonnets, Easter eggs and certainly no Easter bunny. Is there a danger in embracing pagan rituals in our celebration of Christ's resurrection?

I thought this was a really good article. And there's a paragraph that talks about a translation of Acts 12:4. Which I thought was interesting, so I looked it up in the CJB, which is translated directly from the Hebrew and not a Greek translation of a translation, etc. Here's the translation:

Acts 12:4 so when Herod seized him, he threw him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each, with the intention of bringing him to public trial after Pesach.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Articles...sewhb1MHmxlu.99

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
In fact, declares Pack , “it does mention hot cross buns and sunrise services as abominations, which God condemns. The mistranslation of Acts 12:4 is a not-so-subtle attempt to insert a pagan festival into scripture for the purpose of authorizing it.”

I would love someone to find me the Bible verse that condemns hot cross buns

• Members

Christians have used Jeremiah 7:18 as the text regarding bread and the goddess Ashtaroth.

18"The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead dough to make cakes for the queen of heaven; and they pour out drink offerings to other gods in order to spite Me.

I think it's another indication that it's not the item (the bread or "cakes" or wine) that's important; rather, it's the object/Person of worship that's important.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

**off topic**

this thread reminds me of the church bulletin blooper, "This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar."

**back to topic**

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

The Easter Bunny and colored eggs at Easter is equivalent to Santa and Christmas trees at Christmas. If a person finds participating in traditional holiday symbols distasteful, then they should't participate.

There are many churches that sponsor egg hunts, visits by the Easter Bunny and Christmas parties attended by Santa as an outreach to the disadvantaged as community outreach and an example of Christ's methods of reaching others. To me it is a great example of reaching out to people where they are. That doesn't seem evil to me.

Hunnakah is a festival not once mentioned in the Old Testament, it commemorates the time when the Maccabees rose up and slew the Greeks that had overtaken the Temple, the festival commemorates this event. Yet the New Testament has Jesus, Mary and other family members recorded as being present at it - the Festival of Lights.

Clearly Jesus was not wrong to be at such a festival, this suggests to me that common sense simply applies in these circumstances. I personally would not eat Halal products because they are offered to a false idol, yet an Easter Bun has no such meaning from the bakeries that make them up for the general population.

we have lots of bunnies in my neighborhood.....even on easter sunday.....but haven't found any chocolate eggs...must be the wrong type of bunnies....

giggle

• Moderators

Easter in the ancient world was the time where the priests would carry the god who they saw as the god of life who died in the battle to defeat the sea monster and came to life, back into the temple. The image was carried by the priests, who would walk six paces the king would sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. The king would wear a linen ephod and dance before his god as they would enshrine the god into the temple. After the king had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the god. Then the king gave a loaf of bread (Hot crossed buns), a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of the people, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes to procreate for the god to bless then with more children to help with the farm work.

When the king would be with the queen. If they did not already conceive a baby that night in the past, they hopped to conserve a baby that night since a King's child conceived that night would be seen as the next king. If for some reason the queen did not conceive that night then the king's other sons would fight each other to see who would become the next king. Now we don't find anything like this in the Bible, or do we?

Also, related to this event, the King would spend a night sleeping in the temple where he was expecting to receive a dream from his god to tell him about the future and often needed his wise men to interpret the dream. It was probably this time of year when Pharaoh and Nebuchadnezzar had their dreams.

• Moderators

Hunnakah is a festival not once mentioned in the Old Testament, it commemorates the time when the Maccabees rose up and slew the Greeks that had overtaken the Temple, the festival commemorates this event. Yet the New Testament has Jesus, Mary and other family members recorded as being present at it - the Festival of Lights.

Clearly Jesus was not wrong to be at such a festival, this suggests to me that common sense simply applies in these circumstances. I personally would not eat Halal products because they are offered to a false idol, yet an Easter Bun has no such meaning from the bakeries that make them up for the general population.

Not only this, but the book of John has many references to the temple Holydays especially a group of signs that were tied to different temple holydays. There were 3 holydays included: 3 different Passovers, One feast of Tabernacles with I believe 3 signs, and Hanukkah with one sign.

While not always in the same order, they had the same elements: A temple holyday. Jesus saying something where he brings out an aspect of the Holyday, has an "I Am" statement about that aspect of the Holyday, and does a sign dealing with that aspect of the Holyday. Hanukkah, the modern Holiday that we did not find in the Old Testament, was one chosen for one of these signs, the Raising of Lazarus and Jesus being the resurrection and the life.

• Administrators

**off topic**

this thread reminds me of the church bulletin blooper, "This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar."

**back to topic**

what delightful humor in this somber thread.

giggle

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

The Easter Bunny and colored eggs at Easter is equivalent to Santa and Christmas trees at Christmas. If a person finds participating in traditional holiday symbols distasteful, then they should't participate.

:like:

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs
**off topic**

**back to topic**

what delightful humor in this somber thread.

giggle

chicky:chicky:bwink

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Quote:

I could say the same thing about smoking. It's the principle of the action that leads to the damage.

Jesus/God saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:

I could say the same thing about smoking. It's the principle of the action that leads to the damage.

Jesus/God saves! peace

Its not the same thing at all. Things like smoking, drinking, drugs, these things are deadly habits. That would all be covered under the whole "body is the temple of God" thing.

Hot cross buns? Not any different than cupcakes, Christmas cake, muffins or donuts.

• Moderators

Its not the same thing at all. Things like smoking, drinking, drugs, these things are deadly habits. That would all be covered under the whole "body is the temple of God" thing.

Hot cross buns? Not any different than cupcakes, Christmas cake, muffins or donuts.

Unfortunately and bizarrely, some would attempt to argue a moral equivalence there.

Hot cross buns and drugs. Sin is sin right?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

There will be feasts commemorated in the next life, but we can be sure there won't be any pagan festivals such as Easter and Christmas. In fact, the festivals in the OT were set up to point to those which will be observed on the New Earth.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

But the festivals in the Old Testament are the old Canaanite pagan festivals that they were keeping long before Abraham arrived.

I wouldn't be surprised if God were to have fun things like real bunnies that lay real colored eggs; or reindeer with red glowing noses. Not just for holidays; but just for fun. Why not? I imagine both adults and kids would get a kick out of that.

I do doubt that we'll be having spiral cut ham or roast pork tenderloins for dinner, though. But I'm sure His vegetarian analog will taste like the real thing! bwink

Quote:
But the festivals in the Old Testament are the old Canaanite pagan festivals that they were keeping long before Abraham arrived.

I believe that Passover will be observed in the Kingdom of YHVH, but not the Passover of ancient Israel. The new Passover will commemorate the rescue of the Servants of YHVH as the Earth, and its unrepentant people, are destroyed.

• Members

I have to disagree with you Aliensanctuary. I see no reason for observing Passover, in Heaven or the earth made new.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Luke 22:15, 16

Quote:
Jesus said, "I have looked forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins.

For I tell you now that I won't eat it again until it comes to fulfillment in the Kingdom of God."

• Members

Aliensanctuary, thanks for that verse. I forgot that and/or never really thought about that, but it does seem he is saying that. I wonder if he means just one meal like that, where we all take part together on the earth made new and that will be it! For it seems that after that there would be no more reason to overcome anything like that again??

phkrause

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Reference the OP:  The book of Acts is believed to have been written in Greek, not Hebrew.  It is also believed to have been written by the same person as the one who wrote Luke.  Luke's NT writings generally show a higher form of Greek than other NT Writings, with the possible exception of Revelation.  In fact, his Greek approached the level of classical Greek.

NOTE: Paul clearly shows a higher form of Greek, and his writing show that he knew classical Attic.

In any case, to suggest that Acts was first written in Hebrew is not accurate.

Gregory