ClubAdventist is back!

What if?

lazarus

• Moderators

What if after the 911 attacks the United States had declared that "we will forgive our attacker and leave vengeance up to God"?

This seems a rather simplistic and naive thought but what set me thinking is the suffering and number of veteran suicides. We have all heard that 22 American veterans die by suicide every day. That's nearly one every hour, of every day, of every week, of every month. In one year the total is nearly double the amount of US soldiers that died in Iraq.

The suffering, pain, and loss that results from war takes an even greater toll than Bin Laden could have dreamed of. This might get moved to politics I guess. Not trying to make a political point. Just thinking. thinking

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

I don't think that would have helped the suicide rate of veterans. If anything, a non-response to 9/11 would probably have resulted in a huge and dramatic drop in morale in the American military, as well as instigating even more bands of vigilantes in America and numerous other countries to avenge the deaths of their countrymen...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

war is indeed costly, and those making that decision to enter war measure that cost against the cost of not going to war.

when you have a world that solves problems with human solutions and not divine it seems a lose lose proposition.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

debbym, I have very little to no confidence that the cost is or was taken into account, more likely the thought was more geared toward the profit that could be realized. In Viet Nam my pay as an E5 was a little under 300/mo. which included combat pay for being in a war zone. My exposer to Agent Orange, between medical and disability, is costing more/ month then my entire salary for the two years service of my draft requirement.

• Administrators

i agree that the real cost is not measured, and likely cannot be measured. but some kind of system is used, pitting pro's and cons.

the points about usa and war and profiteering are almost endless, this i will not venture into.

i also have other friends whose lives were forever harmed by that war, and the losses are beyond words.

i am sorry you endure this also.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Ultimately, we must choose to forgive everyone, no matter what evil things they have done in this life, including the heartless, shadowy perpetrators of the 911 attacks.

When we stand before YHVH and look back at the sorry record of humanity we must realize that we've all been manipulated by the forces of evil, some of us more than others, and that we're all guilty of harming others or ourselves in this life. As servants of YHVH in his kingdom, we will no longer be able to practice evil because those who have inserted selfish and harmful ideas into our minds which translate into evil actions, the telepathic demons, will be gone forever.

After receiving the memory wipe upon drinking the Water of Life, we will no longer remember any of the evil things that have happened in this life.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451