ClubAdventist is back!

Welcoming Same-Sex Couples to Church

phkrause

at best, they'll go to another [more welcoming] church, or at worst, they'll reject Christianity to the degree it rejected them...

Did we join the church because that's where Jesus called us through an understanding of the Word or did we make the decision based upon how nice the people are who don't wish to speak about their own failures, and subsequently showed their weakness and I left, no matter the witness of the Word?

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LifeHiscost

• JoeMo

• Aliensanctuary

• Gregory Matthews

• Administrators

We easily and superficially focus our condemnation and revulsion on the sin which does not beset us personally (and for that matter a majority of people). We would rather not consider the real sins that destroy us (and Sodom) because they come too close to home.

The word of the Lord through the prophet Ezekiel regarding the real sin of Sodom, “ Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

According to Jesus, the final Judgement will consider the same sins before the final destruction of earth. "Unto the least of them..."

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Have we got this all wrong?

As Christians, how are we called to respond to the same-sex marriage debate. What do you do if you have a family member that "comes out" or a couple moves into your neighborhood? These and more are questions we need to ask ourselves and examine our heart to make sure our attitude reflects the nature of Jesus Christ before we answer.

Interesting that I'm right now listening to Doug Batchelor, from a sermon about the reality of how people who believe in right and wrong as described by the Word, are beginning to accept the perverted judgment of that which is politically correct concerning upright living, even alluding to the judgments of God, perhaps already being seen on earth ie: in California because of a failure to call sin by it's right name.

God/Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
Does not Jesus tell all to come to Him just as they are?

The "rest of the story" is about how He doesn't leave us in the pig pen to clean ourselves up but adds the Water of Life and the blood of Jesus to make us clean and whole as soon as we recognize His capacity to raise us above our own weaknesses.

God/Jesus cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Quote:
Synagogue was mainly for the stiffs in control who liked stiffing people.

"So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read."Luke 4:16 NKJV

Jesus cares! God saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Quote:
I don't think Sodom and Gomorrah we're destroyed for kipeing paper clips at the local Walmart.

O.K. But, the Bible is clear that Sodom was destroyed for more than just homosexuality.

You might want to review all of what the Bible says about this.

Gregory

• Moderators

Quote:
Did we join the church because that's where Jesus called us through an understanding of the Word or did we make the decision based upon how nice the people are who don't wish to speak about their own failures, and subsequently showed their weakness and I left, no matter the witness of the Word?

The mindset of the typical person today is to join a congregation that spiritually feeds them and if they are not spiritually fed, regardless of the "word" that is proclaimed, they do not join.

Some SDA congregations may be said to be preaching the "word" but if they are unable to spiritually feed someone, why should that person join that congregation.

Spiritual growth is more than sitting in a pew while the preacher proclaims the Word.

Gregory

I don't think they were necessarily destroyed because of homosexuality either. Another possibility for the "strange flesh" in people having sex with evil angels and their offspring (Nephillim). See Genesis 6 about who they are. They were one of the reasons for the flood. They were taking over the human race; and God couldn't allow that to happen.

Nephillim were around after the flood. See Num. 13:33. God couldn't allow the human/angel hybrids to take over the earth.

Quote:
The word of the Lord through the prophet Ezekiel regarding the real sin of Sodom, “ Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

According to Jesus, the final Judgement will consider the same sins before the final destruction of earth. "Unto the least of them..."

Exactly, but.......it is, as you have pointed out, to talk about others, takes the focus off of ourselves. This topic and its responses is a demonstration of such.

This topic, homosexuality, never dies....maybe our own sins are getting more noticeable....quick...lets talk about others!!!!

• Members

seems like we've just about gotten all the mileage out of this topic we're going to get...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Quote:

Some SDA congregations may be said to be preaching the "word" but if they are unable to spiritually feed someone, why should that person join that congregation.

I'd be interested in knowing where the reasoning comes from that we're (includes whosoever will)called to feed any one the Bread of Life. I know of sowing the seed, preaching the Word and teaching to observe, but it escapes me as to feeding being a responsibility, although one could stretch the imagination that the feeding of the Israelites after their deliverance from Egypt

and the five thousand Jesus fed is an example, and which our body of believers does what they are able every Sabbath.

The most telling instruction I've been able to locate insofar as feeding the flock, is more of a cease and desist instruction.

"Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I will require My flock at their hand; I will cause them to cease feeding the sheep, and the shepherds shall feed themselves no more; for I will deliver My flock from their mouths, that they may no longer be food for them.”"Ezekiel 34:10 NKJV

That, of course, a result of the shepherds not fulfilling what they have been called to do, not the congregation.

" I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign Lord. I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak. But I will destroy those who are fat and powerful. I will feed them, yes—feed them justice!"

Ezek 34:15,16 NLT

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Quote:
seems like we've just about gotten all the mileage out of this topic we're going to get...

With only 60 (now 61) responses, we have not yet, in my thinking exhausted the mileage.

However, since some people are repeating themselves, perhaps we are getting there. And, I may be doing that also.

:)

Gregory

• Moderators

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing where the reasoning comes from that we're (includes whosoever will)called to feed any one the Bread of Life. I know of sowing the seed, preaching the Word and teaching to observe, but it escapes me as to feeding being a responsibility, although one could stretch the imagination that the feeding of the Israelites after their deliverance from Egypt and the five thousand Jesus fed is an example, and which our body of believers does what they are able every Sabbath.

There are several responses that I could make to you, but the simplest is this: Spiritual growth involves much more than mere preaching of the Word:

NOTE: Spiritual growth involves feeding people.

1) It includes teaching people how to apply the Word to their lives. It is not enough to tell a person that X is sinful. One must remain with that person as they apply that Word to their lives and learn how to overcome, in the power of Christ, of course.

2) Spiritual growth includes teaching people how to study and learn from inspired word. The Bible is a source of inspiration. People must learn to feed upon it and grow spiritually as a result.

I could say more in regard to feeding and spiritual growth. But, the above should get you thinking in the right direction.

The sad fact is that some congregations may proclaim the Word and yet, not feed people spiritually.

Again, people today often join a congregation which they believe will feed them spiritually.

Gregory

• Administrators

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing where the reasoning comes from that we're (includes whosoever will)called to feed any one the Bread of Life. I know of sowing the seed, preaching the Word and teaching to observe, but it escapes me as to feeding being a responsibility, although one could stretch the imagination that the feeding of the Israelites after their deliverance from Egypt

and the five thousand Jesus fed is an example, and which our body of believers does what they are able every Sabbath.

We are called to "make disciples of all men". That involves more than sowing seed. It hints at spending a bit of time nurturing and training.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Yup.....but it is a horse laying on the ground that continues to get kicked.....send in the dragons!!

• Members

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing where the reasoning comes from that we're (includes whosoever will)called to feed any one the Bread of Life. I know of sowing the seed, preaching the Word and teaching to observe, but it escapes me as to feeding being a responsibility, although one could stretch the imagination that the feeding of the Israelites after their deliverance from Egypt and the five thousand Jesus fed is an example, and which our body of believers does what they are able every Sabbath.

that's an easy one:

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. John 21:17

and it's interesting that prior to saying that to Peter, Jesus told him to "Feed my lambs." Then, "Feed my sheep." Then the 2nd, "Feed my sheep." *Feeding* is obviously very important in the eyes of Jesus..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

that's an easy one:

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. John 21:17

and it's interesting that prior to saying that to Peter, Jesus told him to "Feed my lambs." Then, "Feed my sheep." Then the 2nd, "Feed my sheep." *Feeding* is obviously very important in the eyes of Jesus.

Excellent,Pam. Thank you for reminding me.

Which just goes to show that one can never trust even the best of students of the Word without searching the Word for themselves. That is of course if one's primary objective is finding the Truth as opposed to just proving someone else to be wrong.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”"John 8:32 NKJV

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 NKJV

God blesses! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Originally Posted By: LifeHiscost

Interesting that I'm right now listening to Doug Batchelor,

That's your first mistake.......

Why???

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Quote:
That's your first mistake.......

Not necessarily true, Doug might seem hard core on the outside; but inside he's a fun guy. Go to barelyadventist.com and see for yourself. There are some great stories about him there. They must be true; they are on the internet! dunoruncry

YOu have to remember that most all of Barely Adventist seems to be "tongue in Cheek"... Nuff Sed (I didn't say that I don't enjoy it)

Quote:
most all of Barely Adventist seems to be "tongue in Cheek"

I know. that's why I had the "doubtful" emoticons at the end of my post.

Truth be told, in a previous life I was a huge fan on Doug Bachelor and his predecessor, Joe Cruz. While I still admire "Amazing Facts" for their loyalty to what they think is the truth, I'm glad I'm past that phase in my life.