ClubAdventist is back!

Volunteering and looking for work + potential girlfriend.

Doug

SO I lost my job about a little over 2 years now. I have been living at home with my aunt and brother. I was paying rent when I was employed but now my aunt is giving me a break. I am studying for a certificate that will help me get a job but I haven't really been motivated to be successful.

So my weekly duties are taking my aunt to her various appointments, going shopping for her and picking up her medicines at CVS. I do this because I love her and want to help her as much as possible.

I've been volunteering at the church food bank for about a year. I go every monday and I drive downtown Los Angeles to pick up the food, drive it back to the church and put it away. But the amount of food I have to pick up has been increasing. Sometimes I pack my little car with so much food I can't even see out of the back. It's packed so that even the front seat and floor is packed. Last few times we had to go rent a U-Haul truck to go get the food. I think I should get at least minimum wage to do all of this. I've been doing it for free, they do give me my gas back at the end of the year, but not everything.

They had people who were retired to do the pickups but they were at least getting social security. I get nothing. Nobody wants to volunteer during the week because everyone works.My aunt buys me lunch sometimes but I would rather have money. I really like helping people but sometimes I feel like people are exploiting my willingness to help. Am I off base?

What got me thinking about this is that I have stopped letting people take advantage of me in all aspects of my life. She wants me tomorrow to go with her to rent a truck, then take her to the church, then go downtown and pick up groceries, then drive back to the church and drop them off, then pick up stuff from my neighbors house then take them to the church, then drop the truck off. Plus I have to pick her up from her appointments thats a full 8 hour day of work for nothing. The church can afford to pay me at least minimum wage. Nobody else is willing to do what I am doing. it isn't unskilled labor.

I found a girl I really like, she is my pastors secretary. Last time I asked someone out I was devastated when she was asked out by a friend in our group of friends basically right in front of me. So so far just asking someone out at church isn't working out. I get advice from other people/elders that say I should just concentrate on being a good friend. I just need prayers for patience.

• 1 month later...

Your post make me think of myself, and it may, or may not be similar. Filter it and judge it for yourself.

But it makes me think how God, YHWH, has worked in my life to teach me, to teach me different things.

For example: humility.

Let me explain. I lost everything I had.

• Administrators

I would love to read updates from both of you!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.