ClubAdventist is back!

Americans Still Believe in Creationism

phkrause

• Members

A Gallop Poll found that 42 percent of people believe that humans were created in present form by God 10,000 years ago.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Articles/A...ItBsCCYvUuL1.99

If this doesn't belong here please move, thank you

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

42% is an interesting definition of 'most' (first sentence of the linked article). bwink

We could as easily say "the older generation have little or no knowledge of science or the evidence around us".

Not trying to start a battle, trying to explain the evidence of the poll in a more balanced way.

Please note that recent creationism is *not* the only Biblically-compatible view.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Going digging for the original Gallup (note spelling, authors of originally linked article!) poll...

Yep, here 'tis: http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx?ref=image

Obviously a number of ways the story could be 'spun'. Including: 'on-going fall in proportion of population believing in recent creationism'. bwink

Truth is important

• Moderators

Note that, despite my own views on this topic (which are well known by many here), none of my posts in this thread are about whether creationism is true or not.

They are purely about checking that the way the data in the Gallup poll have been presented is fair and accurate.

Best approach, though, is to ignore me and go read the info at the Gallup site linked above for yourself, and make up your own mind.

Truth is important

Quote:
checking that the way the data in the Gallup poll have been presented is fair and accurate.

Best approach, though, is to ignore me and go read the info at the Gallup site linked above for yourself, and make up your own mind.

Amen, Bravus.I too was a little suspect of the way the survey results were delivered.

• Members

Have never known of any polls that don't slant things to there advantage, etc. I just thought it interesting that they got that many to say they believe in creation, when infact they probably don't care one way or the other.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Have never known of any polls that don't slant things to there advantage, etc. I just thought it interesting that they got that many to say they believe in creation, when in fact they probably don't care one way or the other.

Don't you find the underlined somewhat disingenuous in light of your own belief that the polls considered are seen as less than truthful?

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Originally Posted By: pkrause
Have never known of any polls that don't slant things to there advantage, etc. I just thought it interesting that they got that many to say they believe in creation, when in fact they probably don't care one way or the other.

Don't you find the underlined somewhat disingenuous in light of your own belief that the polls considered are seen as less than truthful?

God cares! Jesus saves! peace

Not at all!!

phkrause

• Members

Here's another article I came across:

Creationism Versus Evolutionism: When Will this Debate Ever End?

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Creationism-vs-Evolutionism.aspx#lpI35fIq6kRuph9f.99

phkrause

• Moderators

For me, the bottom line is that, as long as it is deemed necessary to reject reality in order to be a believer, believers will remain vulnerable to 'every wind of doctrine' (and conspiracy theory). If there is no way of dividing truth from error in relation to the physical world around us - indeed, if error is heralded as the only truth - there is also no way of testing the truth of other claims. Believers are left defenseless.

Truth is important