ClubAdventist is back!

associations in heaven

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

Do you think heaven will be a place where one agrees with everyone else on everything?

This question comes to mind as I ponder who might be there... and I think to myself, "wow, if so-and-so is there, I *really* don't want to be there if I have to associate with him".....

And it's not particularly a matter of "forgiving" someone for anything; it's more a matter of a person's particular personality style and manner of communicating that is totally irritating to the extent that I'd rather not be in heaven just to avoid those particular people.

It *has* been said that people in heaven will retain their personalities..

So....do you think we can pick and choose with whom we wish to associate in heaven, or will we all needfully associate with each other, with people continuing in their modus operandi and forever being a burr under my saddle on the heavenly ranch?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

I've thought those same thoughts. :)

They started out originally as, if that person goes to my church I'm not going there. So I stopped going to church. I knew there were other churches to go to in the area, but I liked that one. So eventually it came around to, well wait a minute, what if they actually will be in heaven and than the earth made new!!! Whoa, what than? I finally just prayer about it and I figured I could be on the other side of heaven, earth, etc., they were not gonna keep me from spending the rest of eternity with Jesus.

• Like 2

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I don't think that we will be avoiding people in heaven. We may retain our unique personality to some degree, but we should be Christ-like if we end up there to live with the Holy angels. I believe that every single person will love everybody there.

Isn't the idea that heaven and the New Earth will be like it was before sin entered into the world?

• Members

Doug, that's a nice sentiment, but I *do* think people will be interacting with other people in heaven.

If people *now* do not cotton to certain personalities, and personalities will be manifested in heaven, having to be around someone who is ... irritating and/or obnoxious forever and ever, doesn't seem like a too pleasant eternity. I could engage with such a fool for awhile, but only as amusement.

I like the idea of Peter's idea. :)

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 1 month later...

Even some of the people in the Bible were very difficult to get along with. Consider Judah ready to have Tamar stoned when she was pregnant... with what he did not realize was his own child. But I believe the really unChristlike and obnoxious traits will have been refined away over the course of a lifetime. So they will repent and improve, and in the ways I need to, so will I. Some will love mistreating others more than they love God. I do not want to be one of them, because I do not think they will be there. There will be people we are closer and less close too, but our personalities will all be refined and subdued enough we will not find them like chalk on a blackboard, and we will have agape love and compassion for them, though we will be closer to some than others.

• Like 1

Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.

• Administrators

When I have these thoughts I think that it is ME that Jesus has to help. That causes me to stop and be humbled.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Some people are gifted persuaders and love to discuss the finer points of various topics, hoping he can bring others around to his point of view. Will persuaders still be persuading in heaven?

LD

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect that many of us have a phoney idea of what righteousness and perfection and Heavenly harmony consist of. Understandably, because we have never met anyone like that. We will probably have many more efficient methods of communication--perhaps directly mind-to-mind, with complete empathy. But that still does not mean that different ideas and viewpoints and opinions may not be held. Consider the... inspired words of Proverbs 27:17... It is inevitable that when iron strikes iron, some sparks may be produced. Glorified human beings will not be weak. They will be decisive, they will feel strongly about what they believe, because that is what is right for human beings as God made us. Let us not entertain the phoney notion that there can be no strong feelings in Heaven or the New Earth, nor discussions and even debates. We will have many more means than we do now of resolving differences, and in the disputing, perhaps both parties may advance in their understanding.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...
  • Like 2

Maybe we'll all be essentially the one being in the afterlife.  Maybe we all are now and this life is for discovering that, so that it'll be easier for me to love everyone.  Who knows?

• Moderators

There are always degrees of association, and I think heaven will be well populated.

I like to think that however little or much we share someone's point of view there, we will be able to

treat them with courtesy, being aware we are all there only because of what Jesus did for us.

But I do not think we will necessarily be 'bosom buddies' with everyone.

I am not sure I could find chapter and verse to support this...except perhaps the golden rule. :D

• Like 3

• Moderators

In my view, some people will want to cultivate grapes and enjoy their fruit and others will want to study astrophysics. If we differ in those ways, why not expect people to differ in other ways, to include their personalities.

Gregory

Ah, but which version of "us" is going to be in heaven? I currently wear glasses and have a beard and am slightly overweight -- but my eyes won't need glasses, and God may or may not let me keep the beard, and the extra "fat" in my body may not get translated into my "perfect" body! And I'll be wearing "white" -- how long will my hair be? What age will I appear to be? If we see Sister White there, is she going to look like the "old woman" who died in 1915, or will she appear to be the Ellen White in her prime? People have tried to imagine how Stephen will relate to seeing Saul/Paul in heaven, after all the last thing Stephen saw was Saul/Paul among those who stoned him... so will Stephen recognize the older Paul?? Would I recognize my aged grandparents if they now looked "young" again? I never saw them young! So maybe we won't even recognize some of the people we see who we actually crossed paths with on Earth!

Also, I don't think we will be immediately mingling with the other millions of saved people and looking to find others except our close family members -- there's the journey to heaven of 7 days to even get to the New Jerusalem -- we will be talking in awe with angels, watching and listening to Jesus -- we will be stunned at the sight of the 12-15 foot tall pre-Flood Antideluvians -- we will be looking for Adam & Eve who will be the tallest human beings there -- we will be watching those Antideluvians trying not to trip or stumble over any pygmies or really short people who might be there -- and we will be focused on how our healthy bodies feel for the first time in our lives and how our senses are finally "plugged in" for the first time!

We will be totally immersed in sensations that will be so fantastic and so wonderful, that I imagine that most of the pain and Earthly memories will begin to soften -- and anyway, a truly converted person forgives EVERYONE who ever wronged them here on Earth (or you can't go to Heaven) -- so no one will be walking around in Heaven or the New Earth with a chip on their shoulder about someone who slighted them, each person in Heaven will have forgiven all of that and move on to this absolutely stunningly beautiful heavenly existence! We will still have a memory of those pains, but they won't be as consuming as they are while we are here in this world.

All of the people we will see in Heaven will in essence be "new people" -- and ALL of them are our true Family!

• Members

Again, it's not a matter of "forgiving" for some offense....it's just the idea that not everyone's personality blends with everybody else's - if someone says they absolutely cotton to everyone, I would question that person's veracity.  I can't imagine heaven as being a place where everyone has the same personality characteristics.  It would be utterly boring.

I *do* think, however, (as some of the above comments have mentioned), that we will naturally gravitate towards those with whom we have similar "likes" and "tastes"....  and perhaps as time goes on and we all learn more and more, there might be some sort of mutual interests that *do* get discovered...

• Like 2

...Those who "make it" will not likely have those disliked traits anymore.  I mean most of what we do not like in others is the selfishness that comes out in sandpaper-like ways, right?

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)

It has long been my plan once I am in Heaven and have been with Jesus for awhile to venture out into what I do not know.  Once there I expect to find LOTS of new and exciting stuff that I plan to bring back and share with everyone on Sabbath.

Will someone consider that to be "persuading" another?

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...

Ron, I love this thought!  Thanks. 

I expect that just because I might have a belief that our AMAZING God "feels like a tree" is no reason that I cannot learn more about Him!

Looking at a single optical fiber tells us a little about what is on the other end, but placing many fibers together will give us a much better idea of what is on the other end.  So it will be there.  Lots of us will be sharing what we have learned and because we will not be "stuck" in our ways we will learn more of what HE is like.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
No quote zone...

Do you mean that I am not allowed to quote anyone I am wanting to respond to?  I just hit the "quote" button (I think)!

• Members

(Lineman, in the Original Thoughts forum, no quoting is allowed.  It's the only forum on C/A where you can't quote....anywhere else is fine. :) )

:backtopic:

• Moderators

The traits that grate on the nerves -- both ours and others -- are probably due to selfishness. Selfishness will be gone, an example being the person who monopolizes  conversations. That is a brand of selfishness, or perhaps nervousness. Won't it be great to have discussions and actually be given the chance to say something without being interrupted to the point where you forget what you were trying to say? Someone said, earlier in this discussion, that it could be that our communications will be something like telepathic (if I understood correctly). I've heard that before, and I don't know if I could deal with it! It certainly would change everything.

LD

I am not sure I can agree with "telepathic" communication being used.  God gave us ears and a mouth, eyes and a nose for a reason.  If I am trying to communicate telepathically I want God to be the only one to hear me.  :reyes:

By the way, I hope no one felt I was trying to interrupt or monopolize this conversation.  I have not been here in years and was very excited to see you all talking about one of my favorite topics and I guess I got a little too excited.

I am listening now.  :thinking:

Blessings to all!

With Self gone, along with a memory wipe, we may be extremely lucky to even remember who we used to be in the former life. I don't believe that the restored human race will be able to communicate telepathically with each other, rather, that method is what YHVH will use to determine our needs before we even ask. It's done via Spirit, most likely, something flesh and blood cannot control.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

It is very difficult for me to even imagine living forever without any conflict or discord with anyone.  It is completely alien to my current experience.  If there indeed is no more pain or tears in heaven, it seems like there would never be any contention.  I guess contention could always be avoided by living on opposite sides of heaven; but avoidance doesn't seem like the healthiest way to relove conflict.