ClubAdventist is back!

Ebola crisis in West Africa

Gail

• Moderators

Why were the two Americans brought back to the U.S.? Certainly it does help research to find a cure, but I think the biggest reason is that sanitary hospital facilities just are not available in Africa except perhaps in Egypt or South Africa. The dirt, the filth, people who relieve themselves everywhere, government corruption, women with dozens of sex partners all add up to a very non-sanitary place. At least, that was the way it was when I was in East Africa as a missionary.

James Brenneman

• Moderators

And my wife gave birth to our first child and survived! She was under the care of a very experienced American doctor who was temporarily stationed at Malamulo Hospital.

James Brenneman

• Administrators

I'm not sure of the reason and who made the decision to repatriate.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:

Heavenly Father, we know from Jesus' words that evil things will come on the earth before He returns, that the things we hear about are but the beginning of sorrows.

I ask for mercy for the people in West Africa. Many of those people are destitute of your Word and Your love. It is still a dark continent, but I would like to pray for them as this scourge ravages its people. When/if the people look up I pray that angels will attend them. May the information get out to all who need it, as well as medical aid.

In Jesus' precious name- amen

prayer Amen!

God is Love! Jesus saves!

Lift Jesus up!!

My understanding is that the death toll of the ebola pestilence has reached over 1,000 as reported by WHO, and that it has been found to be treatable under more favorable conditions such as in the U.S.

God is Love! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Yes, it is treatable in proper, clean conditions. The mortality rate is not as bad.

I read that the death toll is now over 1,000. I guess that the flu kills more in a worldwide epidemic, but this is mainly in 3 small countries.

I feel that unless they get intervention from Western nations it's not going to abate soon.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

The death toll tops 1200... The other day a mob looted a health clinic and took infected sheets and a mattress. 17 patients who were quarantined for Ebola fled. Can you imagine what an impact this is going to have in this slum area of Monrovia?

• Administrators

I did get some news from Seren. LACES has closed operation for outdoor activities and her staff are working from home until further notice.

• Administrators

There has been some good news: the 2 Americans have been released from hospital and are cured.

I do hope that they open themselves to research for antibodies or a vaccine.

• Members

I heard that today on NPR news. One of them gave a statement. After that somebody mentioned that Ebola would never be a problem in the USA! A pretty bold statement I'd say!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

PK, I'd agree with that. Americans are at an advantage in that most people have access to decent medical care, they don't handle their dead, they know how to use disinfectant and they know what quarantine means. Some of the people in Liberia don't believe that Ebola is a real disease.

Americans tend also not to use public roads as toilets.

These are easy reasons why Ebola is going out of control in West Africa.

• Administrators

I was wondering if he would return. If anyone should, he would be perfect since he will not get the disease again. He would be a wonderful help in a nation that has lost its top Ebola doctor and many caregivers to Ebola.

Praise God for the dedication of Dr. Brantley! May he be a channel of mercy to those sick and suffering people.

Quote:

Praise God for the dedication of Dr. Brantley! May he be a channel of mercy to those sick and suffering people.

:like:

Not knowing yet, as a result of limited testing, whether the immune system would have been strengthened by his close brush with ebola affects, leads me to believe Dr. Brantley is a very self-sacrificing individual. He certainly deserves our prayers.

God is Love! Jesus saves! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Apparently you only get it once. While in Liberia he received a transfusion from one of his patients who had recovered, plus he did have access to one of those experimental drugs that were out there.

• Administrators

Today I read that Ebola has now made its way to Senegal. The quarantines are not working and spokesmen for Médecins Sans Frontières are saying that they are ineffective as they close in some communities and hamper efforts for help to get in. Plus, people with the disease are getting out anyhow, as shown by this example of the travelling student now sick in Senegal.

Lack of information and suspicion abound... People are threatening to attack medical centres and workers who are trying to disinfect public areas.

One health care worker has said that the WHO efforts are not working and is calling for the UN to send in military medical teams.

In all, more than 1500 people have died. I thought that I read 1550 in one report. That only counts the reported deaths.

And no end in sight.

• Members

Wow, how sad is this getting!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

I imagine what would happen if it was over here in North America, and how much panic there would be.

In Revelation we read about a disease that will inflict painful sores. Ebola is ravaging just like that plague will. We are seeing now what happens when man's efforts to help are tiny compared to the disaster.

You never know when our turn will come. We are privileged to live in a modern part of the world but health is one of those things that money can't buy. Sickness and death hits everyone eventually.

• Members

I don't understand why the people would be attacking medical workers and hospitals... isn't that like cutting off a nose to spite the face??

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

In our way of thinking, yes! But there is so much misinformation out there. Some inhabitants think that the health workers are bringing the disease. Others see their loved ones, ones that they would have cared for themselves at home, go away to a medical facility and not return. Some imagine conspiracies. But superstition doesn't make the job easy for the caregivers.

These places still practise animism and even some of the Christian believers among them are blaming this malady on the disobedience of the general population. I remember reading about the war days when the soldiers ate the hearts of their victims.

What I think will help is when survivors travel to these parts and join the fight. Just talking about their experience as someone who's been there and back would be an encouragement to seek treatment. Some of the quarantined areas have had a decline in the local economy as farmers are not allowed to go to public places to sell their produce. So now some areas are looking at food shortages as well as economic downturn.

:(

• Administrators

I just got off the phone to Kevin... We have been playing phone tag for days now

I discovered that he and Seren do, indeed, know Dr. Brantley, the American that came down with Ebola that is one healed. Kevin is going to call my other son, Eric, because the third American missionary doctor to catch Ebola now is the one that Eric worked with when he volunteered in Liberia a few years ago. Kevin and Seren know him, too.

So this is a personal situation for my chickies :(

• Administrators

Death toll now has jumped to over 1900... As caretakers either get ill or go on strike what will happen? I read this morning that an estimated $600 million in foreign help is needed

• Members

I heard on NPR that when its all over, there might be at least 10,000 deaths. Wow!!

phkrause

The latest I've read is that Dr. Brantley is back in the US. The other aid worker should be there soon.

Just read a newsline today that ebola is expected to be in the U.S. within two weeks. I couldn't  relocate the exact phrase.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/07/ebola-experts-describe-atmosphere-in-west-africa-as-apocalyptic.html

…You will not be afraid of the terror by night, Or of the arrow that flies by day; Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. A thousand may fall at your side And ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you.… [unquote] Psalms 91:5-7

God is Love! Jesus saves! :peace:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

If it does it likely won't have the same catastrophic effect that it has in W. Africa, where people are mistrustful of medical people.