ClubAdventist is back!

Ebola crisis in West Africa

Gail

Wow..... fear can cause so many to go off the right path of solutions and take the matter in their own hands. With non-medical understanding the process of detection, isolation, treatment and being honest in the interviews with facts and figures, there will be more quickly widespread contamination of others. 

pandemic preparedness audio course, available now at http://www.biodefense.com     

Here's the official announcement:

http://www.naturalnews.com/046836_Ebola_outbreak_pandemic_preparedness_online_course.html

Because of the arrival of Ebola in America, there is a sudden rush to purchase preparedness supplies such as latex gloves and N95 masks. 

Ebola has a 21-day incubation period. That's why this family in Dallas has been ordered into home isolation for 21 days.

But the truth is that most American families don't have enough food and water to survive for 21 days in isolation.

• Administrators

I saw a photo of someone bringing in boxes of food supplies; I think that was the apartment of the Dallas family. But consider- what if Ebola would really take a hold and spread? How soon would it be before governments and agencies ran out of these supplies to go around?

Hopefully it wouldn't happen that way. I like to think that North Americans think culturally differently than they do in Africa and the idea of quarantine makes more sense.

The error of the hospital worker is one thing... Has anyone read about the debachle getting that Dallas apt fumigated and cleaned? Talk about red tape!! They waited days to remove the affected bedding and clothing because certain permits are needed and certain disposal protocols need to be followed. I don't think Ebola likes to wait around.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

It's written in our holy Book that money is the root of all evil, right?

So with such a debacle about getting the Dallas appartment sanitized there must be a money threat involved most likely.

A threat of lawsuit when connected reprecussions happen if it has germs still hidding in the place.

Or a threat of loosing operating license for their firm if the job wasn't done rightly and sickness in another happens. 

So the wait for permits and written protocol in procedures is indeed needful to be on the safe side.

As for being prepared ourselves. Get bottle water in great supply now to tie your family over for at least 20 days.

Rice, cans of food, and other storable eat-ables need to also cover that time as well. 

oh yes, I just now remember reading a few weeks ago that the people involved with checking on the first Ebola victim in the mid-1970 were dealing with a person in Republic of Congo. I don't know what happened with the victim but remember that they said the epidemic didn't happen back then. Just the naming of the virus strand after the doctor (Dr. Ebola) who identified it in his lab work. 

He also knew that the Congolese did have a habit of eating bat meat, monkey meat, and rodent meat. He attributed the outbreak to poor hygenie and poor cooking of the meat.  (wow.... and we thought we have problems with beef meat and MRSA in the meat).

• Administrators

The last death toll I saw was over 3,300. I hope that the new Ebola stations will start to make a dent

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Firestone does stellar job in isolating Ebola in Liberia:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/10/06/354054915/firestone-did-what-governments-have-not-stopped-ebola-in-its-tracks

We can all take note :)

• Administrators

The Ebola robot! Do you remember EGW's advice on letting light into the sickroom? Someone has found an effective way to kill the Ebola inside a room:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2783407/Ebola-killing-ROBOT-destroy-virus-minutes-Little-Moe-uses-flashes-25-000-times-brighter-sunlight-kill-diseases.html

oh, Gail, your Firestone rubber plant article link gave me such a lit candle of hope in my heart.

"Dr. Flannery of the CDC says a key reason for Firestone's success is the close monitoring of people who have potentially been exposed to the virus — and the moving of anyone who has had contact with an Ebola patient into voluntary quarantine."

::xx::  

The Ebola robot! Do you remember EGW's advice on letting light into the sickroom? Someone has found an effective way to kill the Ebola inside a room:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2783407/Ebola-killing-ROBOT-destroy-virus-minutes-Little-Moe-uses-flashes-25-000-times-brighter-sunlight-kill-diseases.html

We have a friend from Kenya in which just a day or two ago, had a very strange death of an aged parent, accompanied by vomiting of blood leading to her death in what was described as three minutes, not in a hospital setting. After looking at this web page below, I'm very seriously wondering whether it could have been Ebola.

Our friend is a brother in Christ, who sent pictures taken at the time his grandmother passed while in his arms.

http://www.vox.com/cards/ebola-facts-you-need-to-know/what-is-the-ebola-virus

Here is a quote of the present accounted deaths, however re: how serious it is compared to other reasons for deaths in the same areas, ebola is the least serious by a long way.

And that's what makes the 2014 outbreak so remarkable: the virus has spread to five countries in Africa plus America, and has already infected more than 6,200 people. It has killed more than 3,000 people. That is more than double the sum total of all previous outbreaks combined. [unquote]

The Ebola virus is extremely rare. Among the leading causes of death in Africa, it only accounts for a tiny fraction. People are much more likely to die from AIDS, respiratory infections, or diarrhea, as you can see.

Africa_death_causes_revised.0.png

3For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper And from the deadly pestilence.5You will not be afraid of the terror by night, Or of the arrow that flies by day;6Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.7A thousand may fall at your side And ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you. Psalms 91

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Watching the five minutes of the Xenexdemonstration of that disinfecting robot just awed me!

I am so proud of the intelligenzia behind the making of the instrument.

'Our robot ensures the room is safe for the next patient by destroying germs on high-touch surfaces, and in hard to clean nooks and crannies,' a spokesperson for Xenex said

That was some list you posted above, LHC. 

Africans really do live in a land of fear. 

Satan is behind a lot of what goes on, imo, with these statistics.

It's different in other continents. 

I'm wracking my brain to figure out why Africa has been singled out for such clamanities.

• Members

I heard on TV today that Duncan, I believe that's his name, died?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

I haven't read up on the news for today yet. I thought I saw somewhere, though, that a second diagnosis was made in Dallas. I'm presuming it was someone that has had contact with Duncan.

• Administrators

When I posted on Oct 4th, the death toll from Ebola was 3,300. Today, the 8th, the count is at nearly 3,900. That blows my mind.

And yes, Peter, you are correct about Mr. Duncan. So far his family seems to be okay. I hope that good status continues.

That was some list you posted above, LHC. 

Africans really do live in a land of fear. 

Satan is behind a lot of what goes on, imo, with these statistics.

It's different in other continents. 

I'm wracking my brain to figure out why Africa has been singled out for such clamanities.

While I wouldn't hazard any answer for individuals, I would like to suggest the worship of false gods and spiritualism (voo doo) on a national scale and the denial of Jesus as equal/coexistent with the Father. Just as America is suffering problems brought about by denial of Christian morality with subsequent immorality in the ascendancy.

26"And just as it happened in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: 27they were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.…Luke 17

Lift Jesus up!!

That may well be, LHC.  The law of cause and effect in play. Much bondage to Satan worship in various forms.

However, the vast majority of Christians in Africa among the protestant churches as well the catholic churches give evidence of fruit in the two centuries of missionary working there. 

I can't say more personally because I have not studied the demographics to come to any conclusions exclusively.

When the two of us did a tour of Turkey years back we sought out the towns of the 7 churches of Revelation.

They were missionary places of the Apostles and Christian churches grew strong in each area.

Sadly, there is not one christian church in existance in any of those places now. All is muslim-Islam.

I pondered on why the power of Pentecostal outpour, in that Jerusalem upper room, didn't retain it's power for centuries in the lives of the believers converted under the Apostles so a witness to Christ would be in those 7 churches of Revelation even today?

Why isn't more power of Christ being displayed in the believers of Africa so they have the same sort of blessing of wealth and independance like the Americans had 60 years ago?

Ebola virus disease (EVD)

Symptoms include high fever, bleeding and central nervous system damage

Spread by body fluids, such as blood and saliva

Fatality rate can reach 90% - but current outbreak has mortality rate of about 70%

Incubation period is two to 21 days

There is no proven vaccine or cure

Supportive care such as rehydrating patients who have diarrhoea and vomiting can help recovery

Fruit bats, a delicacy for some West Africans, are considered to be virus's natural host

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29311659 BBC News - Ebola virus: busting the myths 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

The Ebola virus can lurk in the body for more than a week before it begins a cascading meltdown of the immune system, blood vessels and vital organs.

Ebola is one of a number of viruses that cause "viral hemorrhagic fever." What makes it so deadly is that it can take over the machinery of many kinds of cells, replicating quickly. It shuts down or misdirects parts of the immune system and sends the rest into hyperdrive, causing the victim to suffer fever, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration. Death can come within days from multiple organ failure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/10/04/how-ebol

Local customs in handling the dead led to further infections. Some West Africans believe that the day you die is one of the most important days of your life. The final farewell can be a hands-on, affectionate ritual in which the body is washed and dressed, and in some villages carried through the community, where friends and relatives will share a favorite beverage by putting the cup to the lips of the deceased before taking a drink.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/public-health-emergency-way-more-214209248.html

Forthcoming increase of Health Problems

By mid-century, an emerging public health problem will alter the way we eat, the way we travel, and the places we live. It will also make us more susceptible to mental illnesses like anxiety and depression while exacerbating allergies and increasing the reaches of the world’s most infectious diseases. It’s climate change.

In 2006, a team of psychologists visited thousands of victims of Hurricane Katrina — six months after the original event. They diagnosed nearly half of the residents they visited with a serious anxiety disorder. One in six, the doctors said, had PTSD, and many suffered from both illnesses. Over time, these disorders can lead to suicidal thoughts and, in some cases, suicidal behaviors.

In 2008, mental health workers returned to New Orleans. To their surprise, the number of people regularly contemplating suicide hadn't fallen (as is usually the case after a natural disaster). On the contrary, the number of suicidal residents had risen significantly, along with the number of people with serious mental illness. Even in 2009, the number of suicides in New Orleans Parish remained double its pre-Katrina levels.

The mental health infrastructure in Haiti nearly collapsed in the wake of the 2012 earthquake there; Typhoon Haiyan, the strongest tropical cyclone ever recorded to hit land, led to a spike in incidences of post-traumatic stress disorder among victims in the Philippines; and the 2011 East African drought in Somalia, Kenya, and Ethiopia caused existing psychosocial support networks in the region to crumble.

Overheating

Having a psychiatric illness like depression can more than triple your risk of dying during a heat wave.

First, depression can make it harder to take the necessary steps to protect oneself from changes in the environment. People with depression already experience difficulties with self-care, such as staying hydrated, maintaining personal hygiene, and taking their medications consistently. High temperatures can make these activities especially taxing.

Worse still, people who take medications to treat mental illness are especially susceptible to heat stroke, a serious condition that results when the body overheats, because many mental health medications interfere with our body’s natural ability to regulate its temperature. Antipsychotics like Abilify and Risperdone, for example, block brain cells from communicating with the body's thermostat, the hypothalamus. Anticholinergics, such as Cogentin and Enablex, inhibit sweating and make it easier to overheat.

With the exception of a few, the majority of the world's crops will be ravaged by the new pests and diseases that take advantage of warmer temperatures.

Smog

Ever wonder why smog always seems so much worse on a hot, sunny day? Your eyes aren’t playing tricks on you. The chemical reactions that form ozone — one of smog’s main components — happen faster at higher temperatures.

The warmer it is outside, the more ozone gums up the air. Ozone doesn’t just dirty the horizon, though. The toxin also exacerbates a host of respiratory conditions (from asthma to bronchitis and emphysema) by irritating the delicate tissue lining the lungs.

In India, levels of the pollutant were so high in 2014 that scientists estimated it killed enough crops to feed close to 100 million people in poverty.

Dehydration

Severe droughts have already begun plaguing the west coast of the US. In Tulare County, south of Sacramento, Calif., the board of supervisors has declared a state of emergency. People can't flush toilets, wash clothes, fill cups, or bathe without buckets of bottled water that are driven in from elsewhere.

• Administrators

Update: This current outbreak has now killed more than 4000 people and suspected cases are beginning to pop up all over the world.

There is debate and cries of Racism over the way that Thomas Duncan's illness was treated in Dallas, as compared to the suspicion of exposure of a policeman who investigated the apartment Duncan was staying in. The officer has now been cleared of an Ebola diagnosis, but the question remains. Personally I feel that there was a gross malpractice on behalf of the health worker at the hospital where Duncan first went for help, but I think that everyone agrees with that. But what do you say? Human error is also believed to be the cause of the Spanish health worker's case of the illness and that mistake may cost her her life.

• Administrators

The lab worker that I spoke to several days ago told me that the immunity of African people generally is much lower than ours in the West. That could be the reason the American patients that were flown back to the States have all survived, not racism. We may be exposed to flu bugs, etc but African people are frequently exposed to malaria, parasites, HIV and other deadlier diseases. If you add to that the fact that many of them don't have access to clean water and good health care and education regarding good hygienic practises you begin to see the recipe for the disaster we are viewing today.

And yet, Nigeria was able to clamp down on its outbreak and contain it. I see that as a hopeful sign. It just takes effort.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some good news... Health officials in Sierra Leone have decided that they have lost the battle against Ebola and they have changed their strategy. They will give families tools to treat the sick in their homes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/world/africa/officials-admit-a-defeat-by-ebola-in-sierra-leone.html?_r=0

• Administrators

I found this article written by a 13-year-old girl living in Sierra Leone. She describes how quickly the virus affected her community and what some of the children do to survive:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/11/bintu-sannoh-ebola-sierra-leone-eyewitness

I found this article written by a 13-year-old girl living in Sierra Leone. She describes how quickly the virus affected her community and what some of the children do to survive:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/11/bintu-sannoh-ebola-sierra-leone-eyewitness

Interesting quote from the lower half of the article. A portent of things developing, perhaps for various reasons, for the world?

no one could buy or sell from within the “isolation”, nor could any business people come in to sell.[unquote]

16And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six. Revelation 13

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Yes, isn't that interesting! And all it took was...