ClubAdventist is back!

Abuse in marriages

TruthSeeker123

The church recently launched the End It Now campaign where "It" refers to woman and child abuse.

What I would like to know is how do we minister, what do we say, to someone who lives with an abusive husband or wife? Because morally they cannot divorce their spouse since Jesus said that divorce is lawful only when adultery has been committed (Matt 5:31-32).

A rabbi friend said that abuse is adultery. Adultery is broader than what is often thought of.

EGW, later on her life, told women to get their kids and get out of that house.

• Like 1

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members

TS, you might want to take a look at this recent thread:  

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Hi TS, what the woman does that is being abused does is call the police and have full charges laid over it. There is no situation where any woman or man for that matter should be expected to stay in a situation where they are being physically abused. 

My suggestion would be that charges be laid and the abuser jailed. Then the wife has every right to divorce the abuser for abandonment. 

Ed Silvoso's church in Argentina deals with this in a slightly different way. When they become aware that a woman in their church is being physically abused by her husband, they relocate the woman and the children to a safe house. Then the husband does not get to see them again until he has been placed into a counseling program and demonstrates real change. I also think that is a reasonable suggestion if a marriage is to be saved if that is the wish of the parties involved. 

• Members

Yes it was Gregory, thanks for posting

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

this is reminding me of a situation that existed between 1895 and 1915, where a Yakama Indian woman in Washington State was being beaten by her alcoholic husband.  "Nelly" was taken on numerous occasions into the home of the Methodist minister and his family to live in safety.

This is the home where Nelly had refuge... my great grandparents' home.  That's my great grandmother and the twins..

(there's actually quite a lot people can do to help, if they thought about it, and are willing...)

post-1492-0-20186100-1410721566_thumb.pn

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 3 weeks later...

I posted your link on my FB, Gregory Matthews.. Its a great link..

Test me with thy might but grant me safe passage. Now, who said that?

A rabbi friend said that abuse is adultery. Adultery is broader than what is often thought of.

EGW, later on her life, told women to get their kids and get out of that house.

Having come from a background where Christianity was practiced from limited understanding, leading to divorce as a result of abandonment of the spouse and family, intelligent answers to those inner problems are not easy for bystanders to arrive at. Nor do I think the casual observance would fit a person to come up with the best solutions. That would make this counsel more understandable, as well as the following insight from the Word.

7They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?" 8He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. Matt 19 Bold theirs' LHC

7He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations." Exodus 34

We can be thankful for this reality below, that promises final justice and mercy for those who endure, without malice.

7who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin Exodus 34

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Having come from a background where Christianity was practiced from limited understanding, leading to divorce as a result of abandonment of the spouse and family, intelligent answers to those inner problems are not easy for bystanders to arrive at. Nor do I think the casual observance would fit a person to come up with the best solutions. That would make this counsel more understandable, as well as the following insight from the Word.

7They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?" 8He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. Matt 19 Bold theirs' LHC

7He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations." Exodus 34

We can be thankful for this reality below, that promises final justice and mercy for those who endure, without malice.

7who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin Exodus 34

Why would anyone think a "casual observance" enough to make a judgment on a situation like this?  Second, why would anyone care to make a "casual observance"?  

That said, too much "casual observances" are made and disregarded in situations like this, as well as too much cover up by family members who have a lot more than a casual knowledge of the situation.   Very few families that I know of who have experienced abuse seem to able to deal with it.  They would much rather let the children deal with the problems it engenders in their lives for as long as they live than put an end to the situation.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

They would much rather let the children deal with the problems it engenders in their lives for as long as they live...

A description of the case with multiplied millions of young and older generation children.

Lift Jesus up!!