ClubAdventist is back!

Dr. Willilam Loveless

Jeannieb43

• Moderators

Dr. William Loveless, former pastor of two of the largest Adventist churches in North America [sligo in Maryland and Loma Linda University Church in California], also former president of Washington Adventist University and former president of Pennsylvania Conference, has died.  There's a lovely tribute to him on the Spectrum Magazine website written by its editor, Bonnie Dwyer.   She has a wonderful command of the English language.  He was a wonderful preacher; so thoughtful and such a deep Bible student.

All I know is that Dr. Loveless was a dear friend of our family.  He traveled many miles over hilly mountain roads to perform the wedding of my younger sister in 1965, because of the request of our parents.   Then, seven years later, he conducted the funeral service in Loma Linda for my dear father, who had died suddenly while in California for the Loma Linda Medical School Alumni Postgraduate Convention.  I'll never forget what Elder Loveless said in that funeral sermon.   He quoted the shortest text in the Bible:   "Jesus wept" referring to the fact that when some men die, even Jesus weeps.  He pointed out how my dad had ministered to his patients all his life and how they were weeping because he had died, even though they were many miles distant at the time.

Elder Loveless and his wife were always my friends, even many years later, whenever we would see each other.  I'm so sad because I'll be out of state during the time of his memorial service.   It's to be held at Loma Linda University Church on Sunday, Sept. 28, at 2 p.m. 

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Administrators

He did indeed touch many lives. I remember him from the time he was pastor of Sligo Church from visits to my grandparents that live a few blocks from the church. And the he was president of CUC (now Washington Adventist University) during my last two years there. It was a privilege to have known him.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)