ClubAdventist is back!

Swiss Jews

rudywoofs (Pam)

You can choose to make it private. I leave mine open so that others will see and contact me with more info if they wish. Being open is very useful, otherwise I would not have been able to find more of my ancestry. Example; way back in the 1600's a sibling of my ancestor moved off to Australia/New Zealand. Probably an early  immigrant/marriage situation. Haven't contacted them yet for more info.

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

So are other people able to access the info I uncover about my family tree on these sites?  Thats not very private.

As CoAspen stated, you can have your family tree "private" (mine is not only "private", but it is unsearchable on the internet).  You can also choose not to have a family tree at all.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

8 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

If you're wanting to explore your family tree and find new cousins and/or break down brick walls in your family tree, probably Ancestry is your best choice.

I am sure that some here know that the Golden State Killer was tracked down from one of the ancestry sites. Apparently the DNA of the killer was submitted and relatives of the killer were located. I have not read all of the details, but the dna trail was how they got onto him.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Members
5 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

I am sure that some here know that the Golden State Killer was tracked down from one of the ancestry sites. Apparently the DNA of the killer was submitted and relatives of the killer were located. I have not read all of the details, but the dna trail was how they got onto him.

the DNA was not submitted to a testing company.... it was submitted to a free website called gedmatch.com, where folks who've done their DNA tests can upload their raw DNA data.  Among other things, the website allows comparisons with others who've uploaded their own raw data from their tests done at most of the various testing sites (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23andMe, MyHeritage, LivingDNA).  

• Like 1

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

1 minute ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

the DNA was not submitted to a testing company.... it was submitted to a free website called gedmatch.com

Thanks for the correction, albeit a technical difference!

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• 3 months later...
Guest The Seeker

Hello, Pam

Thanks so much for posting this info about your Jewish ancestors from Switzerland. I'm writing to you because I also seem to be on the brink of discovering my connection to the Wyss family tree. That said, I seem to be finding conflicting accounts of how many children the grandson of Nathan HaLevi, Zacharia Wyss, had. Some accounts say Zacharia had only the one daughter called Ursula Wyss, while other records seem to say that there was at least one son as well called Peter Wyss. If you have any more details about the Wyss line, I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks,

The Seeker

Guest The Seeker

Hello, Pam

Thanks so much for posting this info about your Jewish ancestors from Switzerland. I'm writing to you because I also seem to be on the brink of discovering my connection to the Wyss family tree. That said, I seem to be finding conflicting accounts of how many children the grandson of Nathan HaLevi, Zacharia Wyss, had. Some accounts say Zacharia had only the one daughter called Ursula Wyss, while other records seem to say that there was at least one son as well called Peter Wyss. If you have any more details about the Wyss line, I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks,

The Seeker

Hi Pam,

I think I might also be a descendant of the Wyss family in Switzerland through Zacharia Wyss, the grandson of Nathan Ha Levi Wyss. That said, there seems to be conflicted info out there regarding how many children Zacharia Wyss had; some sources say he just had the one daughter called Ursula Wyss, but others say he had several other children, including Peter Wyss, who could be the person I'm most linked to. That said, if you have any additional info re the Wyss line, I would be deeply grateful.

Thanks,

A Seeker

• Members

There's many, many descendants of Nathan Halevi around the world..  

• 8 months later...

My grandmother was a Prussian / Russian Frisian  Mennonite.

Other notations listed in my Grandmothers history shows she concluded that many Jewish items were stored for safe keeping among the Mennonite communities. Some items listed in her notes were Hebrew books, Yiddish books, Prayer Shawls, and Jewish relics.

my grandmothers conclusion summarized what I have confirmed with DNA testing. She states we have Ashkenazi Jewish blood running in our veins. She states many of our lines root from ancient Ashkenazi families. (community of Ulm)

Family names she listed as Ashkenazi included: FADENRECT, NICKEL, EWART, SEIBERT, and ROSEN 

------------------------------

I have found a similar pattern on my mothers side with Her Mennonite families:

Many family names point to an Ashkenazi Jewish past. 

Musselman -Mossiman, Yost, Schol, Landis=Landau, Bortzfield is name variant of: Bretzfield

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/24/2017 at 6:14 PM, Guest Guest AV said:

Fascinating - I had no idea about this part of my family ancestry. I too have traced back to Marti Frey and Ursula Wyss - and then through their granddaughter Verena who married Ulrich Mueller. It looks like a couple of generations later, their son Johann Jakob Muller emigrated to France (in the 1600s). His daughter Maria (my 6th great-grandmother) then came to the United States. A long journey, but the family survived - so thankful for that. 

This is so interesting!!!! I just discovered this family line going back so far. Whoever wrote the above message...we are related!