ClubAdventist is back!

Way Past Annoying

pindoc

I just did a password retrieval. But now I'm stuck with the AC-generated password.

Obviously, if I didn't generate it, it's not secure.

Each time I put in the AC-generated password as Current Password, the system tells me it's wrong.

Really?

Pindoc

What's that I see, pindoc? You now have an insecure password that can be easily hacked into?

What are the steps nerfarious persons do to successfully take over your password?

Air-Conditioned generated passwords are annoying to be sure if one can't change them in one's profile.

I wish you all the best in getting some sort of solution for this.

greetings from the Y-gal

P.s. 

How did this get visibly tagged in the index list of this techno section by your post title?   icon_tag.png #Passwordretrieval 

I just did a password retrieval. But now I'm stuck with the AC-generated password.

Obviously, if I didn't generate it, it's not secure.

Each time I put in the AC-generated password as Current Password, the system tells me it's wrong.

Really?

I'm not sure what you mean by an AC-generated password.  Do you mean an automatically generated password?  An automatically generated password is not by definition insecure, or even insecure in most instances.  Automatically generated passwords are usually more secure than human generated ones.  Why?  Because a password generated by software is normally more complex because the programmers who create the software understand more about password complexity and how it relates to a password being hacked than most computer users.   Also, once a password is generated by software the software forgets it, at least it does if it is legitimate software, not hacked software or malware.  

I would guess the reason the password doesn't work is because you're repeating an inadvertent typo every time you enter it.  The other problem can be if you're copying and pasting it is you're including a space at either the beginning or end of what you're copying, and a space is seen as no different than a number or letter by a computer.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

lol, i love the responses this generated.

well, y-gal, are you a nefarious sort, lol?

no, joeb, i wasn't mistyping anything. i was copying and pasting from Adventist Chat's - which abbreviated AC, btw - but truly, any password that i didn't generate would by definition be insecure because someone else generated it. 

in any case, for some unbeknownst and probably don't want to ask reason, the system took my password change from the auto-generated password to my custom password... even though it told me it refused.

humph. 

Pindoc

After having reread your comment just now today, I will give my answer.

Pindoc, nefarious is  synonym  to evil behaviour. In me is so much light of Jesus that one would never come to use that word to describe my nature now after all these decades of walking in the clouds of sanctification to become like Jesus in nature.

But you were joking with me in good humor and I see it as such  ::puppykisses::

Is the ability of changing one's password still not workable for you?

lol, i love the responses this generated.

well, y-gal, are you a nefarious sort, lol?

no, joeb, i wasn't mistyping anything. i was copying and pasting from Adventist Chat's - which abbreviated AC, btw - but truly, any password that i didn't generate would by definition be insecure because someone else generated it. 

in any case, for some unbeknownst and probably don't want to ask reason, the system took my password change from the auto-generated password to my custom password... even though it told me it refused.

humph. 

I would disagree with your assessment of insecurity of passwords.   I have used software that randomly generates passwords, and it doesn't pass those passwords on to anyone else.  It drops all knowledge of them as soon as you delete the display from your screen.  In fact, I would say that they are better than human generated passwords because they are truly random, and you and I can not generate anything that is truly random, plus they adhere to best policy standards for passwords.  

I  guess it comes down to the ideas which you seem to hold.  (1) Random number generators are incapable of producing a "randomness" that exceeds that of the average individual.  (2) That all password generators have been thoroughly hacked and transmit them to their creators.  

If you hold these two ideas then you should hold the idea than no computer is secure, which is actually much more likely, which then makes the idea that any password is secure moot....  Why?  Because if the computer on which the password is typed is insecure then the password, no matter who, or what, generated it, that password will be passed on to someone else.   

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

I"m taking a course in Computer-Human Interaction.

One way to generate passwords is to take two dates plus two sets of initials and separate them with an unusual character.

For example:

#1971#05#23abc#1993%04%28lrr

Easy to remember, hard to guess, plus it may even pass artificial password checks.

• Like 2

GnuPG/PGP key: 0xB07F9AAE