ClubAdventist is back!

Helping the poor?

Sojourner

Yes. My church does. Not all members have the capability to do it on their own ..... so the combined effort of the church is a big help.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Yes it does, in a way.  It's in such a way that it probably does as much harm as it does good.  The odd part about it is that there is a lot of resistance improving that part of the help that is given to the community.  

We do have a weekly community meal that anyone is welcome to attend, and those who do not attend it are missing out of some pretty special food.  We have people who are not chef's doing the cooking, but their cooking skills rival that of a lot of chef's in vegetarian cooking.  They don't put forth the effort to make the food look as "pretty" as a professional chef does, but their ability to build flavors and textures is outstanding.   

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• 1 month later...

I think most churches now provide assistance in one way or another. In some churches, it is very easy to get some clothing, food, etc. I have experienced some where I tried to get some help for family members and was denied because they cannot afford a car and the church(es) were not on a bus line so they had no way to get there. No one would try to bring some food out to my family members with bare cabinets. I finally went shopping for them myself and bought a cart full of food for them. Most churches are very willing to help, but you do have to find a way to get there yourself from my experience in trying to help out my family.

• Members

Sad response my friend.

if individuals started doing what they are clamoring for the "church" to do, a lot more could be accomplished.  Helping doesn't always need to be on a grand scale...

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Guest billyjobob

if individuals started doing what they are clamoring for the "church" to do, a lot more could be accomplished.  Helping doesn't always need to be on a grand scale...

I fully agree.

I just thought it was a poor response to the original poster that asked if the "church" was involved in rendering assistance to the poor. Not individuals. The problem with the individual approach in my experience is that if everyone is responsible then no one actually "just does it". 

Seeing that you are keen for sayings I'll add, The glass is neither half empty nor half full. The glass appears to be approximately twice the size it needs to be.

btw: I know of no one "clamouring for the church" to do anything. They appear to have their collective heads in the sand, or some other place I won't mention here.

Sad response my friend.

How is that a sad response?  Often those accusing the "church" of not doing anything are attempting to evade their own responsibility as Christians by laying their own personal duty off on the church.    As rudywoofs said, if we all would personally do our duty as Christians the "church" would be doing it's duty. 

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Guest billyjobob

How is that a sad response?  Often those accusing the "church" of not doing anything are attempting to evade their own responsibility as Christians by laying their own personal duty off on the church.    As rudywoofs said, if we all would personally do our duty as Christians the "church" would be doing it's duty. 

Oh my. I'm at a loss on how to reply to such a daft comment. Do you not understand that there is power in numbers? Would WalMart or Costco, or any XYZ successful company be where they are if they just asked a bunch of blokes to go out and individually build some stores. The organized unified approach provides the buying power that makes economies of scale effective.

The original poster asked, "Does your church render assistance to the poor and needy in your local community?"

The "just do it" response not only does not answer the question it seems to absolve the "church" of providing a unified front to the problem. How can any individual on their own make a significant dent in the poverty problem in their community?

"Just do it" seems to be a convenient way for the church to "Just shrug it off".

What is the church for? Just to fill pews, entertain and collect once a week? 

What the Adventist churches do in my city is to actually band together and a meals programe has been set up in both the northern suburbs and the southern suburbs. It takes a number of volunteers in various roles, but the ministry is that in two SDA church halls a nightly meal is provided to people in the community that are struggling financially. Most nights it is generally packed with people and servings run over a three hour timeslot. This programe is supported and administered by ADRA volunteers. We then also run a second hand store which raises funds to help people out with welfare and so forth that need help. By working together as a group we are able to be a lot more effective in meeting the real needs of people in our community and we also share the gospel with people as well in an appropriate manner so that spiritual needs might be met as well as just physical needs.

"Just do it" seems to be a convenient way for the church to "Just shrug it off".

These were individuals making the call, not the .org. When we as individuals render to whatever the need is, the church is doing its duty because 'we' are the church.  The 'church' is not shrugging it off, as all the churches I have been a part of, have organized programs as well. All the .org programs can only have so much success, it is up to us, as individuals, to take up the command of Christ.

• Like 2

Guest billyjobob

What the Adventist churches do in my city is to actually band together and a meals programe has been set up in both the northern suburbs and the southern suburbs. It takes a number of volunteers in various roles, but the ministry is that in two SDA church halls a nightly meal is provided to people in the community that are struggling financially. Most nights it is generally packed with people and servings run over a three hour timeslot. This programe is supported and administered by ADRA volunteers. We then also run a second hand store which raises funds to help people out with welfare and so forth that need help. By working together as a group we are able to be a lot more effective in meeting the real needs of people in our community and we also share the gospel with people as well in an appropriate manner so that spiritual needs might be met as well as just physical needs.

That sounds great and actually seems like a way to leverage the individual's strengths for maximum use. In my community there are 8 SDA churches in a 12 mile radius from my house. There is a local non-denominational AID center that works with the poor. I donate money and food from my garden to them because they seem better suited to disburse it appropriately. 

Stan, on 05 Oct 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Don't leave it up to the Church. Just do it.

Sad response my friend.

You just can't find respect for authority anymore, Stan. There's a better world coming.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!   :smiley:  

Lift Jesus up!!

Guest billyjobob

Stan, on 05 Oct 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:snapback.png

You just can't find respect for authority anymore, Stan. There's a better world coming.

God is Love!  Jesus saves!   :smiley:  

Thank you LHC for reconfirming in a few short days why I left the church. I thought I'd give it another go but I see from hanging around here for bit that nothing has changed. You and Yentyl make me feel about as welcome as a ph-art in a spacesuit.

Peace, my friend.

Can anyone tell me how to close my account or is this like Facebook and Hotel California? You can check out but you can never leave.

Thank you LHC for reconfirming in a few short days why I left the church. I thought I'd give it another go but I see from hanging around here for bit that nothing has changed. You and Yentyl make me feel about as welcome as a ph-art in a spacesuit.

Peace, my friend.

Can anyone tell me how to close my account or is this like Facebook and Hotel California? You can check out but you can never leave.

Sorry, I'm not perfect yet. However Jesus is, and I'm hoping you'll see Him as your reason for joy. BTW, if you should happen to run into a body of believers in which they never say anything you don't want to hear, I'm sure there are some here that would like to know where it is.

The place described below is the closest that I can give a positive referral to.

51Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.…1 Cor 15

Keep looking up!

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!