ClubAdventist is back!

Has Adventists' prophetic understanding lost it way?

hch

Mark 13;35  Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh,

at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:

36  Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.

37  And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

But if we watch & wait to see the Sunday Law go global,

we may be like the antediluvian

When they saw it raining,

it was too late to get into the ark

Though no doubt necessary, making Sunday a day of leisure still seems like a distant vision.  [unquote]

Again, the quote doesn't seem to me to be satirical.OTOH I didn't follow the whole article, at least as I remember, so I would have a propensity to believe the statement was said in sincerity and the person who made the remark needs to be taken before the Lord in prayer that he/she might be given better understanding.

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

But back to the issue: has Adventist prophetic interpretation lost its way?

What are we going to do about it?

I would suggest as a practicing believer in the message of the three angels and part of those classified as   "repairers of the breach", this counsel below is appropriate.

The society of unbelievers will do us no harm if we mingle with them for the purpose of connecting them with God and are strong enough spiritually to withstand their influence.{CCh 312.3}

Christ came into the world to save it, to connect fallen man with the infinite God. Christ’s followers are to be channels of light. Maintaining communion with God, they are to transmit to those in darkness and error the choice blessings which they receive of heaven. Enoch did not become polluted with the iniquities existing in his day; why need we in our day? But we may, like our Master, have compassion for suffering humanity, pity for the unfortunate, and a generous consideration for the feelings and necessities of the needy, the troubled, and the despairing.558{CCh 312.4}

[unquote]

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

I would suggest as a practicing believer in the message of the three angels and part of those classified as   "repairers of the breach", this counsel below is appropriate.

Since we are living under the proclamation of the Third Angel's Message (more fully today than ever before),

is it not astounding that God's people manifest such an indifference to learning and proclaiming the facts about

endtime events that will impact their eternal destiny?

Laodicea is not unlike the other churches.

"The great error with churches in all ages has been to reach a certain point in their understanding of Bible truth and there stop. There they anchored. They ceased to "Go forward," as much as to say, "We have all-sufficient light. We need no more." And they refuse light."  {1888 826.2}

"In the history of Nebuchadnezzar and Belshazzar, God speaks to the people of today. The condemnation that will fall upon the inhabitants of the earth in this day will be because of their rejection of light. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have lived in error, but from the fact that we have neglected Heaven-sent opportunities for discovering truth. The means of becoming conversant with the truth are within the reach of all; but, like the indulgent, selfish king, we give more attention to the things that charm the ear, and please the eye, and gratify the palate, than to the things that enrich the mind, the divine treasures of truth. It is through the truth that we may answer the great question, 'What must I do to be saved?'"  {BEcho, September 17, 1894 par. 5}

• Like 1

His child Henry 

Bible student/Author https://www.loudcry101.com

hch says, "is it not astounding that God's people manifest such an indifference to learning and proclaiming the facts about

endtime events that will impact their eternal destiny?"

So many churches these days preach only the grace, love, and prosperity message - which is good - but they neglect the "military" intelligence God gives us about the end-times because it is unpleasant or scary.  We need balance in our message.  Yes; we need to know of the love and grace of Jesus; but we also need to know prophecy and be able to read the signs of the times and respond accordingly.  By melding the two sides of the message, we will know what is going on in the spiritual realm; and have confidence that the grace and love of God will see us through the adverse physical ramification of war in the spirit realm.

• Like 1

hch

in your post #37

"When my pastor discouraged me and I stopped studying

The Lord took my prophetic understanding

When I repented and yielded to God's direction

He restored my understanding and added to it beyond measure."

Do you mean by this statement that you believe that you have been called by God to be a prophet??

• Administrators

In Post #37, hch said "Knowing that President Obama will be ruling the earth-beast at the time when final events transpire"

If memory serves me correctly this is not the first time such a thing has been declared about a president, particularly one not like others before him or different ideology from the one making such a bold claim of certain prophetic knowledge. As I recall, some Adventists felt certain that as the first Catholic president, JFK was a sure sign of the nearness of the end of all things. Yet he didn't bring about the time of trouble, Sunday laws or persecution of Sabbath keepers. He didn't even link arms with the Vatican as some thought would happen. And there have been others. In every generation there is someone who likewise points toward a current something or someone that is that agent of evil or handmaiden of the devil or one to kickstart the final events of earth's history.

And then there are those that are so certain of it that they fail to prepare for life to continue and cash in their retirement savings, leave their crops in the fields to rot, etc. We know how well theta works.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

......astounding that God's people manifest such an indifference to learning and proclaiming the facts about

endtime events that will impact their eternal destiny?

I would suggest that it is not 'indifference to learning", but rather indifference to all of the 'end time prophets' that continue to come and go. What continues to puzzle me is that the  main thrust of all the rhetoric is about that individuals interpretation and others ignoring of what they think is important. No on is saved by having correct interpretations of anything. If one is relying on end time events, I would suggest all is lost. We are to be ready at all times. If that is true, than what happens in the future will not impact that persons future life. When events take place we are not to be afraid or concerned but rather reassured that Gods word is true. They are not to scare anyone. I firmly believe that prophecies have been misunderstood as to their purpose and used as whip to instill fear.

It also tells us what our view point of God is.

• Moderators

I will suggest that it is not indifference to learning.  Rather it is an indifference to what is perceived as a false use of Scripture. 

Gregory

hch

in your post #37

"When my pastor discouraged me and I stopped studying

The Lord took my prophetic understanding

When I repented and yielded to God's direction

He restored my understanding and added to it beyond measure."

Do you mean by this statement that you believe that you have been called by God to be a prophet??

FallingRock

By that post, I was saying that I believe that I was called by God to study the book of Daniel.

Prior to that time I had been studying Bible studies about Daniel promoted by the SDA Church.

They were good and very helpful, but they were not the same as studying the Bible.

When I began to study each passage in Daniel and to compare it with other Scripture and History

and using the concordance to research various words,

I began to understand so much more than I had ever imagined.

Thank you for asking.

His child Henry 

• Moderators

HCH, as I read your posts I have some concerns/questions:

1)  How is it that you have taken a book written by Ellen White, revised it and published it?  Do you believe that we are living in a  time when God has called you to revise waht she has written?  NOTE:  It is as I look at your webpage that I find you l isting that book for sale.

2) In post # 33, in this thread, you seem to engage in eisegesis.  The Biblical standard is exegesis.  Eisegesis is generally considered to be a false method of Bible study.  NOTE:  I beleive you do this in many of your posts.

3)  In post # 46, you said:

America's last election went overwhelmingly: Republicanism and Protestantism. . .

I have a couple of questions asbout your statement, so I am asking as you have suggsted I should do:

a) Do you understand the difference between the word "Republican" and the word "Republicanism?"    The 1st is a political party.  The 2nd is the pollitical philosophy that is a part ot the foundation of the U.S. Government, regardless of the political party to which its citizens may belong.   I ask the question because I am perplexed by your statement and I do not understand.  In short, the United States has always had Rebublicanism as a foundation for its government.  This is not a new thing that just happened in this election.  If you look to the history of both the Democratic and the Republican political parties, you will find that Republicanism is a foundation of both.

'b)  Are you opposed to the Republicanism that is the foundation of the U.S. Government? 

Gregory

In Post #37, hch said "Knowing that President Obama will be ruling the earth-beast at the time when final events transpire"

If memory serves me correctly this is not the first time such a thing has been declared about a president, particularly one not like others before him or different ideology from the one making such a bold claim of certain prophetic knowledge. As I recall, some Adventists felt certain that as the first Catholic president, JFK was a sure sign of the nearness of the end of all things. Yet he didn't bring about the time of trouble, Sunday laws or persecution of Sabbath keepers. He didn't even link arms with the Vatican as some thought would happen. And there have been others. In every generation there is someone who likewise points toward a current something or someone that is that agent of evil or handmaiden of the devil or one to kickstart the final events of earth's history.

And then there are those that are so certain of it that they fail to prepare for life to continue and cash in their retirement savings, leave their crops in the fields to rot, etc. We know how well theta works.

Tom,

I suspect that your recollection is correct regarding "such a thing has been declared about a president." Similar things have been said about popes and the presumptive king of England.

You may recall that back in 1843 and 1844, the Adventist believers said that Jesus was coming at that time, which would be akin to saying that their current president was the last. And of course we know that they were wrong because Jesus did not come and the one who would have been the last American president was followed by another. But their prophetic message was of God and came at the time appointed of God.

We have God's promise that He will not do anything except He reveals it through His servants the prophets.

And we have Ellen White who was blessed with the Spirit of Prophecy. And Ellen tells us to study Daniel and Revelation because they contain the messages that "we must know" in the endtime.

Daniel proclaims the interpretation of King Nebuchadnezzar's dream that White applies to our day see post #45 closing with the statement "In the days of these kings," Daniel had declared, "shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever. . . . The dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure." Daniel 2:44, 45."

And Though Daniel 7 began with earth beasts, it ended with Heaven explaining "earth kings" (7:17)

Ellen White also states as noted previously that Revelation is the supplement of Daniel. Thus it must be asked, if Daniel 2 and 7 are refering to "these kings" and "four kings, which shall arise out of the earth" Who are they?

The only thing I found in Revelation that appeared to supplement the kings of the earth in Daniel are the horsemen of the Apocalypse that I briefly mentioned in post #52.

Then White states that Revelation is about things in the past present and to come. So the horsemen can be viewed as explaining Daniel in the past (Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome (pagan & papal). So the question that follows, if Revelation is giving the past meaning of Daniel 2 & 7 what is the present meaning and/or the future meaning to the horsemen of Revelation as it supplements Daniel, as Daniel is standing in his lot today?

Daniel 7:17  "These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth."

Adventist know from Revelation 13 that the earth beast links to America.

Thus the kings from the context the earth would be expected to be American Presidents.

And EGW clearly states "The prophecies of Daniel and of John are to be understood. They interpret each other. They give to the world truths which every one should understand. These prophecies are to be witnesses in the world. By their fulfillment in these last days they will explain themselves."  {7BC 949.6}

Thus  Daniel and John will explain who those Presidents are if that is the meaning of the "four kings, which shall arise out of the earth." But as the Adventist message of 1843 & 1844, did not get everything right in spite of God's leading, why would anyone expect the messages about the last American presidents to get everything right when it is first discovered? The early Adventists had to have their prophetic understanding scrutinized repeatedly until the Lord showed them their errors and the correct understanding. 

The burden of the warning now to come to the people of God...is the third angel's message. And those who are seeking to understand this message will not be led by the Lord to make an application of the Word that will undermine the foundation and remove the pillars of the faith that has made Seventh-day Adventists what they are today. The truths that have been unfolding in their order, as we have advanced along the line of prophecy revealed in the Word of God, are truth, sacred, eternal truth today. Those who passed over the ground step by step in the past history of our experience, seeing the chain of truth in the prophecies, were prepared to accept and obey every ray of light. They were praying, fasting, searching, digging for the truth as for hidden treasures, and the Holy Spirit, we know, was teaching and guiding us. Many theories were advanced, bearing a semblance of truth, but so mingled with misinterpreted and misapplied scriptures, that they led to dangerous errors. Very well do we know how every point of truth was established, and the seal set upon it by the Holy Spirit of God. And all the time voices were heard, "Here is the truth," "I have the truth; follow me." But the warnings came, "Go not ye after them. I have not sent them, but they ran." (See Jeremiah 23:21.)  {2SM 103.1} [close quote]

So when the PRESENT TRUTH about the last American Presidents is sounding: each believer has to decide is this the final call of the Third Angel's Message? The only way to know is to look at all the facts.

As you noted prophecy was misapplied to Kennedy and others, it will be misunderstood and misapplied to others. But to assume that because mistakes have been made in the past and that this is a another mistake -- is a mistake. Those who rejected the message of 1843 & 1844 because they saw it as a mistake: it ended up to be the truth. God will not remove every objection, but He will give ample evidence to establish Present Truth at His appointed time -- His word will not return to Him void, but it will accomplish that which He ordains.

His child Henry 

I will suggest that it is not indifference to learning.  Rather it is an indifference to what is perceived as a false use of Scripture. 

A point well taken.

But should a matter is judged before it is rightly understood?

The 1888 experience should serves us as a warning.

Ellen White was embracing Righteousness by faith and inviting Jones and W... to to preach at every possible occasion but their message was not rightly understood and was rejected by those who used their positions to try to silence it.

Years later we understand how truth present truth suffered and the work of God was set back by those who should have been moving it forward.

His child Henry 

How is one to know if Scripture is used correctly?

Ellen White wrote: "The message of the fall of Babylon, as given by the second angel, is repeated, with the additional mention of the corruptions which have been entering the churches since 1844. The work of this angel comes in at the right time to join in the last great work of the third angel's message as it swells to a loud cry. And the people of God are thus prepared to stand in the hour of temptation, which they are soon to meet. I saw a great light resting upon them, and they united to fearlessly proclaim the third angel's message."  {EW 277.1}

Should we assume that the "corruptions which have been entering the churches since 1844" have not entered the SDA Church? Would Satan attack other churches with false teachings and not us? And if Satan has slipped some teachings into the SDA Church that miss the mark, when something comes along that contradicts an error that has been accepted as truth, it will be most difficult to distinguish truth from error.

Did not the mixing the accepted teaching that the earth was the sanctuary cause many to misunderstand the 1843 & 1844 messages?

Would you not agree that the only safeguard is to compare Scripture with Scripture?

His child Henry 

• Moderators

HCH:  You are NOT always wrong.  In fact, you are often correct.  But, you are also not always correct.

My greatest issue with you is when you write in a manner that a reasonable person will not understand what you are saying.  However, over time you have come to do much better in writing in  a manner that you are understood.

Gregory

HCH:  You are NOT always wrong.  In fact, you are often correct.  But, you are also not always correct.

My greatest issue with you is when you write in a manner that a reasonable person will not understand what you are saying.  However, over time you have come to do much better in writing in  a manner that you are understood.

Gregory,

I don't claim to always be correct. I do claim to be a student that is willing to consider feedback

and up-date my understanding as the evidence warrants.

But it is my affliction to have difficulty communicating complicated ideas. I cannot change that no matter how I try.

I have written things that made perfect since to me and 6-months later it took hours to unravel what I had written (and dumb it down so that I could understand it). Then it would take me a considerable amount of time to reconstruct it so that others who have not been involved in my personal Bible study could understand it.

But I thank God that it is getting better. In the 1970's when I tried to explain some features of my study of Daniel to my father-in-law who was well versed on the issue, I had to stop before I began. In reply to his question at the time i could only say "I cannot find the words to express my ideas." so we left off the conversation for several years.

It got a little better in the '80's, but still needing improvement. I found that I communicated better with President Gorbachev (as shown by his actions in response to my letter) than with Brother Wilson (as shown by his secretary's response to my letter). But that was so many years ago in an age that man has long forgotten and before many of the folks with whom I discuss endtime events were ever born.

His child Henry 

John is instructed in Revelation 1:19 "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;"

Which are covers past and present
which shall be hereafter is in the future.

EGW clarifies it:

“The Lord Himself revealed to His servant John the mysteries of the book of Revelation, and He designs that they shall be open to the study of all. In this book are depicted scenes that are now in the past, and some of eternal interest that are taking place around us; other of its prophecies will not receive their complete fulfillment until the close of time, when the last great conflict between the powers of darkness and the Prince of heaven will take place.” (RH, August 31, 1897 par. 5) [close quote]

I read White to be saying past, present (taking place around us) and future (complete fulfillment until the close of time).

Thus in the context that Revelation is a supplement of Daniel (cf 17MR 19.1), when Revelation Supplements Daniel, Revelation is explaining things from Daniel that are in the past, present, and future.

His child Henry 

Notice that the first horseman of Revelation had a crown.

"The crown removed from Israel passed successively to the kingdoms of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome.

God says, 'It shall be no more, until He come whose right it is; and I will give it Him.'" {Ed 179.3} [close quote]

And when Babylon fell, Daniel declared:
5:26 This is the interpretation of the thing: MENE;
God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it.
27 TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting.
28 PERES; Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians.

The second horseman of Revelation had balances.

As the crown linked the first horseman to Babylon, the first kingdom that received the crown from Israel;

the transition from the first kingdom to the second correlates with the balances.

His child Henry 

After years of seeking to have the Present Truth in my studies reviewed by the brethren, a pastor has assembled a committee of well known and highly qualified SDA's to do a thorough review of the matter.

God is so good

His child Henry 

• Moderators

Are you willing to share who they are and their positions in the denomination.

I note that you live in Collegedale, why not have your material reviewed by the Religion faculty?

• Like 1

Gregory

hch,

Ref. Post# 69.

Another scenario is based on a futuristic view of Revelation.  The first seal/horseman with the bow and crown bent on conquering represents the AntiChrist. It can't represent Christ - He doesn't show up until the 6th Seal.

The second horseman does not have scales; he has a sword and takes away peace (i.e., launches war).

The third horseman has a scale, representing hyperinflation and economic collapse.

The 4the horseman - named Death - represents plague and famine; which would be the natural result of war, economic collapse, famine, and disease.

Notice these first 4 horsemen represent the consequences on man's inhumanity to his fellow man - nothing supernatural here.

Notice also that this scenario matches the order of end-time events given by Jesus in Matt. 24:5-9 -

1. "For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many."

2. and 3. "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom."

4. "There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me."

Not saying you're wrong; just illustrating another feasible scenario not necessarily endorsed by Adventism; although it is endorsed by many conservative evangelicals.

Are you willing to share who they are and their positions in the denomination.

I note that you live in Collegedale, why not have your material reviewed by the Religion faculty?

Will have to update my profile.

When I lived in Collegedale, the religion faculty expressed an interest in reviewing the material.

But it never went anywhere.

If the individuals that have agreed to participate in the review process

actually participate, certainly there will be a report of the findings.

And their credentials will speak for themselves at that time.

His child Henry 

• 1 month later...

HCH:  You are NOT always wrong.  In fact, you are often correct...

Interesting and diverse as this discussion has become, it only confirms that Adventism has lost its prophetic understanding in favor of popular opinions.

My favorite author states that in Revelation, Daniel is standing in his lot. Consider this:

Originally written By EGW:
All that God has in prophetic history specified to be fulfilled in the past has been, and all that is yet to come in its order will be. Daniel, God’s prophet, stands in his place. John stands in his place. In the Revelation the Lion of the tribe of Judah has opened to the students of prophecy the book of Daniel, and thus is Daniel standing in his place. He bears his testimony, that which the Lord revealed to him in vision, of the great and solemn events that we must know as we stand on the very threshold of their fulfillment.—Manuscript 32, 1896 (Manuscript Releases, vol. 17, pp. 9-11).

When John sees the Lion of Judah in Revelation, Christ is opening the sealed book (a little book by definition) and immediately there are horsemen that correspond with the kingdoms of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome as EGW pointed out "All that God has in prophetic history specified to be fulfilled in the past has been..." With the correlation of Daniel standing in his lot in the revelation, we are told "all that is yet to come in its order will be."

But in answer to my question I did not see anyone link the scenes of the Lion of Judah in Revelation with Daniel as EGW does. Is that because those embracing historisism desire that which has been fulfilled to have no application to the future?

The Lord Himself revealed to His servant John the mysteries of the book of Revelation, and He designs that they shall be open to the study of all. In this book are depicted scenes that are now in the past, and some of eternal interest that are taking place around us; other of its prophecies will not receive their complete fulfillment until the close of time, when the last great conflict between the powers of darkness and the Prince of heaven will take place. RH, August 31, 1897 par. 5

Since Revelation is explaining Daniel when the Lion of Judah unseals Revelation and since Revelation is relative to the past, present, and future: Daniel's prophecies have an application to past, present, and future!

To teach that Daniel is historically fulfilled and to fail to understand the Present Truth from Daniel is to loose ones way among the prophetic waymarks.

Thus Adventists that do not understand the correlation of the Book of Daniel to the opening of the seals by the Lion of Judah need to find their prophetic bearings lest they teach "theories that would bring confusion rather than genuine light."

The great waymarks of truth, showing us our bearings in prophetic history, are to be carefully guarded, lest they be torn down, and replaced with theories that would bring confusion rather than genuine light. I have been cited to the very erroneous theories that have been presented over and over again. Those who advocated these theories presented Scripture quotations, but they misapplied and misinterpreted them. The theories supposed to be correct were incorrect, and yet many thought them the very theories to be brought before the people. The prophecies of Daniel and John are to be diligently studied. (2SM 101.2 )

His child Henry 

• 5 months later...

History repeats.

"The beneficent designs of Jehovah were now well-nigh forgotten. Unbelief was fast separating the chosen nation from the Source of their strength." {PK 119.2}

"The rebellious chieftain signalized himself as having authority to establish laws entirely contrary to the laws of Jehovah, the living and only true God, the supreme Ruler in heaven and in earth. When this deceiving power is accepted in the place of light plainly given in God's word, Satan stands as their ruler. The daring leader in rebellion is given by human agencies the pre-eminence above God, and the prince of darkness is acknowledged as their supreme authority."  {1888 1199.1} 

"Decisions will be made for and against God; and every man will decide his own case by his decision in regard to the law of Jehovah. Then both classes will be developed; the sentiment of every heart will be revealed. Each party will gather under its chosen leader, as loyal to God and His commandments, or as transgressors of the law, with the first great rebel at its head."  {ST, November 22, 1899 par. 7}

"By terrible things in righteousness he will vindicate the authority of his downtrodden law. The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which he bears long, and which he will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy."  {GC88 627.1}

As I currently read prophecy, when the Supreme Court declares independence from God by implementing an abomination as the law of the land, it will declare independence from God June 2015. Shortly after wickedness is declared to be the law of the land, God will remove His special protection that has preserved America through the centuries. Iran (the king of the South will attack the US fleet in the Gulf) and President Obama (the king of the North) will do exploits against the Covenant (beginning with America's Constitution). And prophecy will be fulfilled in its time in a way that was not expected by those who should have been watching and preparing.

This is evidence that Adventists' prophetic understanding has lost it way.

His child Henry 

• Moderators

Yes, I said that you are often correct. But, I could also say that in my opinion, you are often not correct, at least in part.

It all depends.

:)

Edited by Gregory Matthews

Gregory

Yes, I said that you are often correct. But, I could also say that in my pinion, you are often not correct, at least in part.

It all depends.

:)

Gregory,

I have often quoted Paul:

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." (1Co 13:9 -10)

But my experience with the Brethren has been one of doubting Thomases. If I have been wrong, they are quick to say "He's wrong" and if I'm right, they have been quick to say, "even false prophets can be right sometimes."

But they have been quick to express their opinions, while they have been slow to look at the fact upon which my views have been based. So in hind sight I don't think that Adventist prophetic understanding is really the problem. It is the Adventist that have lost their way. It appears as though the nominal Adventist spends too much time studying what others (popular teachers other than myself because my teachings debunk some of the most popular notions) have said and written about Bible prophecy and no time studying the actual prophecies for themselves.

Unfortunately, when the final events get moving, they will be so rapid that most of the nominal Adventists will be left behind.

His child Henry