ClubAdventist is back!

Suburban DC school district takes Christmas off calendar after Muslims complain

bonnie

The government needs to stay out of the business of all religions.

That is correct. But history proves our future lies with oppression of the weak, which those who bear the sword refuse to give up their right to that characteristic, which cultural characteristic will be broken only by the return of the King of kings.

God is Love! Jesus saves!   :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

That is correct. But history proves our future lies with oppression of the weak, which those who bear the sword refuse to give up their right to that characteristic, which cultural characteristic will be broken only by the return of the King of kings.

God is Love! Jesus saves!   :smiley:

The problem has been resolved,especially since there is not a actual set date for the Muslim religious day, and the Muslim community is still not happy. Straight across the board,unless someone can draw a link between winter holidays and religious observance of some kind.

I assume the parents of the other students aren't happy either,but such is life..

No one has ever prevented Muslim students from having a day off for religious reasons. Now they have fairness,there is no mention of the dreaded Christmas holiday.

Of course now Sunday should be closely looked at. As their religious day is Fri shouldn't schools be closed then to. Sat was not closed because of SDA's but as we benefit from that as Sunday keepers do,Fri for Muslims must be taken into account.

Don't forget the Russian community,their Christmas does not fall in the winter holiday break so something certainly needs to be done to address their religious holiday of Jan 6th

364083.jpg?filter=wtop_article
Equality for Eid was not happy with the MCPS' decision. (WTOP File Photo)

What do you think of the school system's decision to get rid of the references to religious holidays? Post a comment in this story, comment on WTOP's Facebook Page or use #WTOP on Twitter.

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Montgomery County Public Schools will remove religious labels from school holidays, but members of the Islamic community say the adjustments to the school calendar do nothing to gain parity and a day off for the Muslim holiday of Eid.

The school board approved the school calendar for the 2015-2016 school year Tuesday. The calendar will no longer reference specific religious holidays but rather state simply that school will be closed on dates that correspond with holidays, such as Eid, Yom Kippur and Christmas.

Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of Equality for Eid, was not happy with the board of education's action Tuesday.

"Equality is really what we're looking for," Ali said. "Simply saying we're not going to call this Christmas, and we're not going to call this Yom Kippur, and still closing the schools, that's not equality."

School board members said they were sympathetic to the desire to have Eid recognized and close schools but that legal precedent in Maryland bars them from closing for religious purposes.

"We can't close for religious holidays. We can only close for operational purposes," like high absenteeism, school spokesman Dana Tofig said.

Read more: http://www.wtop.com/41/3740504/Montgomery-Co-ed-board-strips-religious-holiday-references-from-new-calendar#ixzz3JDLSd8r3

• Like 1

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

Yes! Everybody ought to have the right to behead others that don't accept their religion. :reyes:

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

You're response is interesting. You did not acknowledge that they are Americans or accept the notion that they have the right to shape American culture. You chose to use a negative feature of extreme Muslim culture to refute my two comments.

It's like your brain couldn't resolve those ideas so you had to denigrate the population in question to mentally justify your rejection of them as Americans.

The mind is fascinating. :darkfro:

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Huh! :thinking:

Did it cross your mind that they were born here? Second generation maybe?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

When minority communities begin to assert themselves, the majority community always gets nervous and sometimes resentful. This is especially true if the minority community looks  and sounds very different from the majority community. This is the case here. Thankfully these Muslims are not shy in claiming the very freedoms that others speak so loudly about. I hope they will be successful IN SHA' ALLAH!

This line is odd.....

"The Jewish day is important to the Jewish race and always has been"

Perhaps this will help to see why....

The Christian day is important to the Christian race and always has been

The Muslim day is important to the Muslim race and always has been

Muslims divided? So they are just like any other religious group. Are you surprised?

Einstein

Did it cross your mind that they were born here? Second generation maybe?

Doesn't matter where they are born. They were successful in having the school board make it equal across the board.

The calendar will no longer reference specific religious holidays but rather state simply that school will be closed on dates that correspond with holidays, such as Eid, Yom Kippur and Christmas.

School is closed on dates that correspond with EID. Given that Muslims cannot give a specific date from year to year sounds pretty reasonable

School board members said they were sympathetic to the desire to have Eid recognized and close schools but that legal precedent in Maryland bars them from closing for religious purposes.

Just following the law

"We can't close for religious holidays. We can only close for operational purposes," like high absenteeism, school spokesman Dana Tofig said. 

Given that high absenteesm was not a factor for the school during EID, religious fervor and high absenteeism for EID will probably now become a factor so they are covered.

No religious holiday for them either. 

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

I didn't shape american culture. Many are legal americans,many that demand are not. Really doesn't change anything,my DIL is american as well. Does that mean we now will observe the Russian Christmas,or shall we observe any and all nationalities here? No one is prevented from observing any day they wish.That does not give a special group the right to demand what is part of american culture be blanked out because they are here.

Yes you do. Your impact is minimal because you are one person but acting with others you can be part of a powerful movement. What percentage of the Islamic community is illegal. You say many are illegal. Where do you get that from?

If DIL does not want to assert anything about her Russian heritage that's her right as an America. The reverse is also true. Demanding this or that probably makes you uncomfortable but this is their right. I applaud them. I actually don't think they are demanding though. "Freedom is never voluntarily given". Americans know this.

Einstein

• Moderators

Doesn't matter where they are born. They were successful in having the school board make it equal across the board.

If it is not important why did you raise it?. I'm glad they bought equality to the school board.

Einstein

When minority communities begin to assert themselves, the majority community always gets nervous and sometimes resentful. This is especially true if the minority community looks  and sounds very different from the majority community. This is the case here. Thankfully these Muslims are not shy in claiming the very freedoms that others speak so loudly about. I hope they will be successful IN SHA' ALLAH!

This line is odd.....

"The Jewish day is important to the Jewish race and always has been"

Muslims divided? So they are just like any other religious group. Are you surprised?

Nothing odd about it. Jewish  religious holidays have always been important and observed by Jews. The high absenteeism of a significent number Jewish students during this time confirms that.  The lack of importance placed by the Muslim community reflected in their lack of attendance  is quite different.  

Christmas being noted on the calender isn't any different than noting Labor Day,4th of July etc. It does not demand observance by anyone.  

The Muslim community achieved their purpose,maybe not quite the way they planned,but now all are placed on a equal footing.  

BTW,have you figured out which day every year the calender should reflect the Muslim holiday as they can't do so?

Yes you do. Your impact is minimal because you are one person but acting with others you can be part of a powerful movement. What percentage of the Islamic community is illegal. You say many are illegal. Where do you get that from?

If DIL does not want to assert anything about her Russian heritage that's her right as an America. The reverse is also true. Demanding this or that probably makes you uncomfortable but this is their right. I applaud them. I actually don't think they are demanding though. "Freedom is never voluntarily given". Americans know this.

I live in MN.We have a very large,one of the largest Muslim population. My former neighbor worked for the largest county in the medicaid fraud division. The fraud by this community is staggering and almost impossible to stop or get a handle on.Certainly not the only ones but this is the division she has worked for 15  years.

My DIL did not come here to change american culture or to have americans assimilate to the culture she left behind. 

She realizes that to demand another Christmas on Jan 6th would be a bit out of line.

The Muslims have what they want,religious holidays struck from the calender,so what is the problem?

.Non-religious winter holiday that should include their religious day and give their children a day off without missing school.

If it is not important why did you raise it?. I'm glad they bought equality to the school board.

Because the Muslim community is still not satisfied

Any disagreement  with what a special interest group demands and is denied or not acted on is always race based in your mind. Obviously that is a belief that you hold very dear and use every opportunity you  can to promote that.You may be uncomfortable with those that look different than you,but not all feel that way

My DIL doesn't look any different and I would feel the same if this were the Russian community. It doesn't take anything away from her heritage or the desire to pass that onto her children. I have two DIL's that are of Mexican descent,they have the same attitude. It is interesting to learn various things about their culture and we have had some good laughs over mistakes or misunderstandings as a result of the difference. 

But all three understand this is the US and as such it is American culture,not what they left behind.

Should we close schools of Fri because of Muslim? A few years ago we had some rather forceful demands that a town close to us change the hour of their meetings for planning and zoning because it interfered with Muslim evening prayers. To bad. At times it has been difficult for us as SDA's that the meetings we really needed to attend were Fri after sundown.To bad,not everyone has to bend to my beliefs. Muslim students have threatened fellow students because of their need for service dogs and demanded their removal.

Tough,take another class.

Equal does not always mean equal outcome. Nor does denying someone something they demand equal racism or fear because of skin color.

When you apply for a job and the requirements of dress or duties conflict with your religious beliefs,apply somewhere else instead of suing and trying to destroy someone's business or reputation. I wouldn't apply for a job that I knew conflicted with  my beliefs and expect them to accommodate me. I would need to go elsewhere.

Don't cause havoc in retail stores and then yell and whine about racism when you are no longer welcome

The mind is fascinating. :darkfro:

Well, that was one positive comment.

8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things....Phil 4

God is Love! Jesus saves! :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

and always has been= false!!  http://www.truthbeknown.com/islam.htm

Islam, began in Mecca, claimed to be the revelation of God (Allah) through the angel Gabriel to a man named Muhammad. Muhammad was born in approximately AD 570-571. He was born to the powerful tribe of the Quraish in Mekkah (Mecca). His father's name was Abdullah. His mother's name was Aminah.

The Qur'an tells us: "not to make friendship with Jews and Christians" (5:51), "kill the disbelievers wherever we find them" (2:191), "murder them and treat them harshly" (9:123), "fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem" (9:5). The Qur'an demands that we fight the unbelievers, and promises "If there are twenty amongst you, you will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, you will vanquish a thousand of them" (8:65)

and always has been= Truth

17But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children's children, 18To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them.…Psalms 103

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :smiley:

and always has been=I

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Aside from the fact that that comment is totally irrelevant to the immediate topic this needs to be said. The amazing thing about the American way of religious freedom is that we recognize the right of anyone to believe whatever they choose.  In making the determination about their rights to do so, the government has not right to make a value judgment of the sort you just made.  Whether the religion is the one true religion or the most false religion on planet earth is totally outside of the Constitutional Right.

The oft repeated idea in the defense of Freedom of Speech applies equally well to Religious Freedom - "I strongly disagree with what you said [believe], but will vigorously defend your right to say [believe] it."  

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Aside from the fact that that comment is totally irrelevant to the immediate topic this needs to be said. The amazing thing about the American way of religious freedom is that we recognize the right of anyone to believe whatever they choose.  In making the determination about their rights to do so, the government has not right to make a value judgment of the sort you just made.  Whether the religion is the one true religion or the most false religion on planet earth is totally outside of the Constitutional Right.

The oft repeated idea in the defense of Freedom of Speech applies equally well to Religious Freedom - "I strongly disagree with what you said [believe], but will vigorously defend your right to say [believe] it."  

As the Muslim community is still not happy what is it you think should happen in the interest of equality?  Winter holiday is strictly non-religious,doesn't favor Christians,Jews or Muslims. What day should be set aside for Muslims?

Does this only involve schools or do you believe all things of a federal,state or county nature has to be rearranged?

I needed to attend a planning and zoning meeting to sell our property. It was on Fri evening after sundown. I had to request and pay the county for a special meeting.No one but those that observe the Sabbath as we do is impacted by that. How can they or should they discriminate? Shouldn't that be accessible to all regardless of religious beliefs? 

Catholics and many protestant churches benefit from schools being closed on Sunday. We benefit from schools being closed on Sabbath,in fairness then schools should be closed on Fri for Muslims. As they have Sat and Sunday off with everyone else then Fri should be a day where the whole school is closed,Right? Otherwise the closings should be limited to those that would have their beliefs violated and all others should be in school .Strictly equal

Our local food shelf located in city hall has Christmas dinners for families. As unfair as it is you are encouraged if there is a need to sign up for a Christmas dinner. Now of course this should not be in the interest of fairness,altho Jews,Muslims,Christians all have the right to request a Christmas dinner. They compound the unfairness of it all by asking all those that can to bring a gift,such as mittens,scarves,hats and warm socks. Many of us do. maybe there isn't any objection or a demand for fairness in having a special day for special groups because they are getting something for free. 

Equality would demand the food shelf stretch limited resources to have a special day  for Muslims and Jews or anyone else that objects to Christmas.

• Moderators

Any disagreement  with what a special interest group demands and is denied or not acted on is always race based in your mind.

What does race have to do with this? I didn't mention race. Why did you raise it?

Einstein

• Moderators

Equality would demand the food shelf stretch limited resources to have a special day  for Muslims and Jews or anyone else that objects to Christmas.

Seems like you resent the idea of being that generous to Muslims and Jews. God loves a cheerful giver! Don't give it will make you mad.

Einstein

Seems like you resent the idea of being that generous to Muslims and Jews. God loves a cheerful giver! Don't give it will make you mad.

I don't think you could possibly stretch what I said any further from the truth.

Our local food shelf does not have the resources to accommodate every religious group on a special day.It is all volunteer to help others. There  is far more than most realize to the responsibilities of those that volunteer their time. It takes many hours a week ,far more than just the distribution times.

All food is donated,it is not like a deli or grocery store where you can choose according to the dictates of your religion.

Jews,Muslims or any other can make use of what is provided. Staples such as potato's,fresh vegetables, fruit etc can be used by all. At one time or another my personal donation has pretty well crossed all color or religious lines.

The amounts received by families,regardless of their skin color or religious beliefs is very generous. For a family of two they leave with app.200 lbs of food and goes up from there according to family size.. That food is all donated,the volunteers cannot order according to those they help.

If the Jewish or Muslim communities have special requirements for certain food items then those that are able in the specific communities will have to step up and provide for their own.

As a SDA I would have absolutely no right to demand that vegetarian food be provided for my religious beliefs. The food shelf donations are not mine by right. I do not have a right to demand special privileges from the labor of others.

Instead of demanding,if I am ever in need of the food self and their generous donations,I would choose that which I could use and thank them for making it possible to feed my family.

What does race have to do with this? I didn't mention race. Why did you raise it?

Really?

Lazarus said

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

When minority communities begin to assert themselves, the majority community always gets nervous and sometimes resentful. This is especially true if the minority community looks  and sounds very different from the majority community. This is the case here. Thankfully these Muslims are not shy in claiming the very freedoms that others speak so loudly about. I hope they will be successful IN SHA' ALLAH!

I believe God also has something to say about false witness,or trying to imply something negative about someone else without any facts to back it up.

As you have absolutely no idea of who I help, willingly I might add,especially as I  didn't even come close to saying or implying that I resent helping anyone based on skin color or religious belief.

• Moderators

"Minorities" does not = race. Muslims are a minority but not a race.

Einstein

"Minorities" does not = race. Muslims are a minority but not a race.

I was wrong when I said .....I don't think you could possibly stretch what I said any further from the truth.