ClubAdventist is back!

Love of Country

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Howard Schultz & Rajiv Chandrasekaran,  FOR THE LOVE OF COUNTRY:  WHAT OUR VETERANS CAN TEACH US ABOUT CITIZENSHIP, HEROISM AND SACRIFICE.  Andrew A. Knopf Publisher, 2014, 211 pages.

NOTE:  Howard Schultz is chairperson, president and CEO of Starbucks.  Rajiv Chandrasekaran is an associate editor of THE WASHINGTON POST.

If you are prepared for a 1st hand glimpse of the battles in Iraq & Afghanistan, along with some counter-cultural language, this may be a book for you as it recounts the sacrifices made by the men and women who serve in the U.S. military.  If you are not prepared for such, it is not a book for you.

Some examples:

Orthopedic physician, Bill Krissoff:  When his Marine Corps son Nate was killed in Iraq, Dr. Bill Krissoff decided that lhe could best honor his son's memory by enlisting, but, he was far to old, 60 years and both the Navy and the Air force told him that it was impossible.  Then the White House called.  President Bush wanted to meet with he and the families of other service persons killed in combat.  As he stood before the President, Bush asked him:  Is there anything that I can do for you.  Krissoff responded:  Yes, you can assist me in enlisting and honoring the memory of my son.  Five days later the Navy recruiter who had told him that he could not  enlist telephoned him to start the process of enlisting in the Navy Reserve for a future assignment to a Marine Corps Medical Battalion.  Eighteen months later, and 62 years of age,  he was in Iraq, having proved his mettle and ability to keep up with the younger Marines.  Following his return from Iraq, he was in Afghanistan.  Yes, he lived through those deployments.  Yes, his surgical skills saved lives and he performed an uncounted hundreds of operations.   In serving his country, he gave up a lucrative medical practice and contributed much.

Lt. Colonel Kellie McCoy:  As a female, McCoy fought against all odds to earn her right to leadership on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.  She succeeded only by rising above the men with whom she competed.  Her story is one that I will not attempt to abbreviate.  It can only be read as written in the book. 

NOTE:  Speaking personally, about the women with whom I served, both in combat and in peace,  the majority, due to bias, had to rise above the majority. 

Just two examples of the many given in the book.

Gregory