ClubAdventist is back!

7 Reasons Jesus Is Not A Fan Of The American Dream

phkrause

• Members
Kingdom first. Houses, cars and careers...second.

The American Dream can create many idols in the heart. The tireless pursuit to gain more money, property or possessions will numb the human spirit to its need for God. Jesus knew this and guarded carefully against it. Here are seven reasons Jesus did not chase the American Dream inspired by the book

“In God We Trust: A Challenge To American Evangelicals."
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Galleries/7-Reasons-Jesus-Is-Not-A-Fan-Of-The-American-Dream.aspx#cgUrl6YArhxOdagW.99

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Kingdom first. Houses, cars and careers...second.

The American Dream can create many idols in the heart. The tireless pursuit to gain more money, property or possessions will numb the human spirit to its need for God. Jesus knew this and guarded carefully against it. Here are seven reasons Jesus did not chase the American Dream inspired by the book

“In God We Trust: A Challenge To American Evangelicals."

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Galleries/7-Reasons-Jesus-Is-Not-A-Fan-Of-The-American-Dream.aspx#cgUrl6YArhxOdagW.99

Today I started to destroy some of those little golden idols that some people would be horrified if they knew I was doing it, especially because I didn't pass them on to someone else. Pray for me and mine as I'm hoping I see some things

change for the better as a result of the decision. The change has something to do with most of the world's view of what's necessary to make it in this world, totally ignoring this invitation and promise.

1"Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost. 2"Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.…Isaiah 55

God is Love! Jesus saves!  :smiley:

Lift Jesus up!!

Just what is the American dream?

----------------------------------------

James Truslow Adams, in his book The Epic of America, which was written in 1931, stated that the American dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position." (p.214-215)

----------------------------------

Websters says

Definition of AMERICAN DREAM
:  an American social ideal that stresses egalitarianism and especially material prosperity; also :  the prosperity or life that is the realization of this ideal.

----------------------------------

Often, people sites American dream is about prosperity . I have not read that book. I did read that tiny article on beliefnet.

As American, living in a Third World country on the other side of the planet, I have a different perspective.

To me, and to most immigrants ( not the recent influx from Mexico) the American dream is about freedom and opportunity.

The first thing I noticed when I came here, was how many very talented poor people there are. I saw a man applying Formica laminate with half a dozen and tools. And I was stunned with the craftsmanship that he used in his work. A man with that much talent in America, would not be poor.
Over and over again, I some very talented people, with no opportunities.

What most Americans I know take for granted in their freedoms, the rest of the world desires.
I doubt that you can find one in 100 Americans who can give you any type of explanation of eight of the first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution.

Let's start with number one. Freedoms of speech. This is rapidly disappearing in America. They don't throw you in jail, but you could lose your job, lose your social standing or face harassment because of speech.

Number two the right to bear arms. Americans and Canadians grossly underestimate how important this is. It completely changes the balance of power between the people and the government. I not advocating that Christians should purchase guns. But the mere fact that a large percentage of Americans own guns, changes the balance of power. Talk to someone who's lived overseas. There are many people who live their life in fear of the government or the local police. It's not as big problem here is is in my neighbor countries. The government and the police have all the guns, and they can do whatever they want. That's not an overstatement. Listen to John McAfee has to say about Belize.

• Like 1

Number three, not able to quarter troops in people's houses. I read reports there are police agencies taking over people's houses in America, in order to get the bad guys of course. I hope they're not true.

Number four, Probable causes and search warrants. This is extremely important and yet, Americans are allowing it to a go away, Because they do not stand up for it.

Number five, the right to remain silent. There are many countries in which the police even use brutal methods to get people to talk.

Number six, right of a speedy trial.I have observed the court system here, and they are good. However, they just finished a criminal trial after 18 years (Ozone fire). The right of a speedy trial is not available in Some countries. In Some countries once you are arrested, and they try you, your life is over.

Number seven, trial by jury. There's many people in other countries who dream of system like this. Where the judges don't have absolute control. Yet Americans take it for granted and even look for excuses not to sit on jury duty.

Number eight excessive fines. This is one you don't hear about. But it's important also.

Number nine about rights, not defined in the Constitution. Not as important as these others, unless it's your rights are being violated.

Number ten The federal government only has powers delegated to it by the state. The state has precedence. Not the federal government. I can't tell you how important this it's. This also changes the balance of power. It gives far more control to the people. It's much easier to elect a new state/provincial official, than a federal one. It provides much more accountability. If this one amendment was applied to many Third World countries, whoa,  the change that would take place.

To me, this is the American dream. It's the dream that many immigrants have if they lived in America, they could experience these rights.

If the ability to live life in freedom. True freedom.

I am sure that Jesus would wholeheartedly approve of these 10 amendments, and my version of the American dream.

Guest billyjobob

Joe

Well thought out and well said.

One observation; In America it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in. A government that is determined to trample rough shod over our constitution. It's in a stranglehold by large corporate interests that put our puppets in place to do their bidding. 

Now if we want to start talking American dream and Jesus' disapproval thereof then, if we over 32 years old, we need to look inward. Jesus held the positions he did because he was God and he knew this world would destroy him at an early age. He knew he wasn't going to be around very long because darkness can not stand light. He also knew that his true followers would not make it in this world very long as well.

All of us that are here hanging on now are total failures in that respect, self included. We're happy Sabbath/Sunday worshippers that want to go to church once an week to be entertained by an "inspiring" service. Once that's over we go back to our lives, me included.

Evidence: If we really believed what Jesus taught would there really be the poverty, homeless problems, hunger problems, disease problems?

I'm a complete failure in that respect so this is not an indictment of anyone unless you desire to take it so. We all want Christianity at an arms length. We're not going to open up our bedrooms to the guy begging at WalMart or on the freeway ramp, although, we might throw him a couple bucks to soothe our conscience. We're not going to take in some cat that's giving up Mr Jones for fear he'll rob us for his next fix. Heck most of us will not even pick up a hitch hiker. Not in my back seat/back yard/spare bedroom and so on. So it goes.

God help us is my prayer.

How could Jesus have grown old on this planet. Worth pondering, no?

God help us is my prayer.

How could Jesus have grown old on this planet. Worth pondering, no?

I know of no other christian body of believers who has access to this information below which has allowed them a peek into the future not  normally accessed by any other denomination.

Through the two great errors, the immortality of the soul and Sunday sacredness, Satan will bring the people under his deceptions. While the former lays the foundation of Spiritualism, the latter creates a bond of sympathy with Rome. The Protestants of the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to grasp the hand of Spiritualism; they will reach over the abyss to clasp hands with the Roman power; and under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome in trampling on the rights of conscience.—The Great Controversy, 588.{ChS 160.1}  
S 160.3}
By the decree of enforcing the institution of the Papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with Spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and Republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan, and that the end is near.—Testimonies for the Church 5:451. {ChS 160.4}
The time is not far distant, when, like the early disciples, we shall be forced to seek a refuge in desolate and solitary places. As the siege of Jerusalem by the Roman armies was the signal for flight to the Judean Christians, so the assumption of power on the part of our nation, in the decree enforcing the papal sabbath, will be a warning to us. It will then be time to leave the large cities, preparatory to leaving the smaller ones for retired homes in secluded places among the mountains.—Testimonies for the Church 5:464, 465.{ChS 161.1}

3While they are saying, "Peace and safety!" then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 4But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief; 5for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness;…1 Thess 5

God is Love! Jesus saves! 

Lift Jesus up!!

Guest billyjobob

Again, LifeHiscost, you have managed to reply with something that is totally irrelevant to my post and to the original post regarding Jesus vis a vis the American dream. Is it your intention to just randomly quote "Spirit of Prophecy" writings with the hope that someone has not heard this stuff before?

I think you need to try to stay on topic. Come to think of it I guess I failed at that myself too, so I'm going to shut up.