ClubAdventist is back!

My Paternal Ancestry - Old World

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

Just when I was embracing the reality of my predominantly English heritage on both sides of my family tree I find that as with many in the British Isles find out, their ancestors eventually turn out to be from across the English Channel.  And that is where my paternal line leads as well.  My oldest direct ancestor came to England not too long after the Norman Conquest of England by William the Duke of Normandy who became King William (the first). My roots trace back to Sir John de Botrell, Baron, born about 1075 in Botrell, Normandy, France.  Here is my paternal ancestral line tracing back 26 generations from me, starting with my first ancestor that came to the New World, John Whitmore (my 9th Great Grandfather) around 1635:

John Whitmore - Thomas Whitmore, Sr. - Charles Whitmore - Robert Whitmore - John Whitmore - William Whitmore - Anthony Whitmore - Nicholas Whitmore - Phiip Whitmore - Richard Whitmore - William "Styled Arm" Whitmore - John de Whitmore, Viscount of Botrell - Ralph (Radulph) de Whitmore - John de Botrell, Sr. - Peter de Botrell - Sir John de Botrell, Baron 

That makes Sir John de Botrell my  23rd Great Grandfather.  

• Like 2

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

It was a bit of a curiosity to me trying to understand the meaning of the name in 21st generation, William "Styled Arm" Whitmore.  From what I understand that may have been a reference to him being armigerous which means bearing, or being entitled to use a coat of arms.  

Here are what the two possible coat of arms may have looked like that he may have been entitled to bear:

post-102-0-61270800-1417106217_thumb.png

post-102-0-56685200-1417106417_thumb.png

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Interesting!  

In Proceedings of the Worcester Society of Antiquity (vol 25), the "styled arm" reference is written as "styled 'Arm'" (with only "Arm" in quotes, and capitalized).  Later it states that the first Whitmore who was entitled to a coat of arms was John de Whitmore, the grandson of your Nicholas Whitmore.

I wonder if the styled "Arm" was a reference to a specific metal weapon which had engraving or "styling" on it?  

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

John was a common name in the line (5 in my direct line). The most recent one listed as John de Whitmore was "William Styled Arm" Whitmore's father. In the sources I checked, none after him are listed as still using the "de" before Whitmore. William's son, Richard, was the last of my line to have been born (1261) in Whitmore, Stafford, England. I think the practice of preceding the surname with "of" or "de" to designate geographic area of origin may have also fallen out use sometime in the 13th Century, which is consistent with William's father John de Whitmore to be the last listed with "de" preceding the surname. (He died in 1301.) The next 6 generations are listed as being from Caunton, Nottingham, England.

• Administrators

I only found one reference to suggest that "styled arm" may have referred to bearing the coat of arms.  And that was unconfirmed speculation by the source.  It would make some sense in this case for William to perhaps have been so designated since his father was the last one listed as having any connection to Botrell, Normandy as the Viscount of Botrell. It may have been with William's generation that the Whitmore Coat of Arms was first used.  Or maybe he was entitled to carry both coats of arms which would have gotten him a special title.  It is still a mystery!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

As a further historical footnote in my family tree, William, "Styled Arm", Whitmore married Alice Ferrers (b. circa 1236) the daughter of Hugh and Alice Ferrers. Hugh Ferrers was the third son of William II de Ferrers, 4th Earl of Derby. His father, William I de Ferrers, 3rd Earl of Derby, died in battle at the Siege of Acre (1189-91) during the Third Crusade. There is conflicting evidence of the exact date of his death, but it was sometime between December 31, 1189 and October 21, 1190. If I have figured this correctly, William I, de Ferrers, 3rd Earl of Derby, would be my 21st Great Grandfather.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Here is an account of the Siege of Acre (1291) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Acre_(1291) 

• Members

would William I de Ferrers be one of the Knights Templar, then?  

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

That is what I suspect, but have not found any confirmation yet.

• Administrators

Well, according Wikipedia, he was indeed a Knight Templar. And here is some more of his story - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_de_Ferrers,_3rd_Earl_of_Derby

• 1 year later...
Guest Carolyn

Alice Ferrers married to William Style Arm Whitmore is one of my great grandmothers.  I am looking for a source for her birth, marriage, and death.  Do you have any sources?

Thank you

Carolyn

• Administrators

I do recognize the name.  I would have to look for the source material I was using.