ClubAdventist is back!

And since it is Thanksgiving Day...

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

In honor of my Pilgrim ancestors, this as posted on Facebook by my brother, the family historian:

... here is the Pilgrim connection. Hang on, it gets complicated! My own fascination with the Pilgrim story began at a very young age, and predated any knowledge I had that I was actually a descendant of Mayflower Pilgrims. It also predated my fascination with family history and genealogy. It began as a ten year old after reading a continued story in the "Junior Guide" about the experiences and adventures of Peter Cook, a young Pilgrim passenger on the Mayflower. I was so intrigued with this story that I became obsessed with learning more about the Pilgrims. When, as a young adult, I learned through the research of my Great Grandma Rosa May Thurlow, that we had descended from Mayflower Pilgrims, that interest was once again kindled. I have read everything I could get my hands on about the Pilgrims. The best historical account of the Pilgrims is the book "Saints and Strangers" by George Willison.

Our branch of the Thurlow family has descended directly from no fewer than ten Mayflower Pilgrims. Miles Standish (1), the military leader of the pilgrims descends 9 generations to Grandma Rosa May Berry Thurlow through her father Hiram Berry. Those who may have chanced to read Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's (our 4th cousin 5X removed) poem of the "Courtship of Miles Standish", know that Miles Standish was in love with fellow Mayflower passenger Pricilla Mullins (2) but was too shy to propose to her. He convinced his friend and fellow Pilgrim, John Alden (3), to speak to her of Standish's interest in marrying her. Alden also secretly had a romantic interest in young Pricilla but dutifully approached her about Miles' interest, whereupon Pricilla simply batted her eyelashes at John and said, "Speak for yourself John". So John and Pricilla got married and, while Miles was no doubt unhappy about this situation, he eventually married a certain Barbara and their son Alexander Standish married Sarah Alden, daughter of Pricilla and John. It is Alexander and Sarah's line that descends to the Thurlow family. Of interest, Sarah Alden's sister Ruth Alden married a John Bass and it is through this line that Presidents John Adams (our 3rd cousin 8X removed) and John Quincy Adams (our 4th cousin 7X removed) descend. Pricilla Mullins parents William (4) and Alice (5) Mullins, also our forebears, were also on the Mayflower .

Richard Warren (6), a former London merchant was also on the Mayflower. He left his family behind but later sent for them when conditions got better for the Pilgrims (half the Pilgrims died in that first year.) His daughter, Mary Warren, descends 8 generations to Grandma Rosa May Berry Thurlow through her mother Rosanna Robinson. Of note, Richard also had a son, Nathaniel Warren, who descends 6 generations to Pres. Ulysses Grant (our 6th cousin 6X removed). Nathaniel also descends 7 generations to Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (our 7th cousin 5X removed). FDR's forbear was a French Huguenot named Phillippe de la Noye who arrived a year after the Pilgrims. The English equivalent of the French name de la Noye was Delano. One of his sons married Mercy Warren. Another of his sons married Elizabeth Standish. Another of his sons married Mary Alden. Oh what a tangled web we weave!

William Brewster (7) was the pastor/spiritual leader of the Pilgrims. He was on the Mayflower with his wife Mary (8) and his son Love (9). Love Brewster descended 9 generations to Grandma Rosa May Berry Thurlow through her mother Rosanna Robinson. George Soule (10) was an indentured servant aboard the Mayflower . His son married Sarah Standish, Miles Standish's grand daughter, thus is also our forbear.

• Like 1

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Great story, Tom - by a true blue-blooded American.  I can only trace my ancestry back to my great grandfather. He moved to Denver around 1900 from Italy; and started the first Italian language newspaper west of the Mississippi River.  The publishing offices were located right between his bordello and his speak-easy.  He wasn't Adventist.  teehee

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great story, Tom - by a true blue-blooded American.  I can only trace my ancestry back to my great grandfather. He moved to Denver around 1900 from Italy; and started the first Italian language newspaper west of the Mississippi River.  The publishing offices were located right between his bordello and his speak-easy.  He wasn't Adventist.  teehee

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !

JoeMo

Is your Ggrandfather  Angelo Noce (1847-1922) buried in California???