ClubAdventist is back!

The Civil Rights Movement 2.0

Easy on Mr. Barkley, Bro. Kountzer!  He is one of the few sports commentators I like because he speaks his mind with little regard as to whether it's popular or not.  Do you call him Uncle Tom because he doesn't get behind the likes of the Sharptons and Jacksons?  Or would you consider Dr. Carson in the same category?

I call him an Uncle Tom because he got lucky and rode his basketball skills to national attention then he turns conservative.  I've heard him giving economic advice to others. If it weren't for TNT and the NBA he would be a nobody.  Same for Ben Carson and Clarence Thomas.  They both rode affirmative action, & student loans to prominence.  Now they're both 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' Ayn Rand clones.

It is amazing how the media portrays Carson as a devout christian but seldom mention he is sda.  If he makes it to the white house he'll probably become a presbyterian.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Does this information justify choking this man to death?

I don't trust what NYPD has to say about this, anymore than I trust a grand jury.

Frederick Douglass

I've had more than my share of traffic violation tickets.  No cop has ever given me a bad time, probably because I was always respectful with "no, sir" and "yes, sir" answers.  

I've always advocated being polite to police officers when they pull you over.  To do otherwise is not smart.  They are literally judge, jury and executioner out in the field.  They can shoot and kill you and not get indicted.  I've said the long before recent news.  It is not something new.  

People are human, and everyone does not have the same temperament.  i get that.  But bucking up to a police officer when they pull you over is not wise.

Frederick Douglass

Does this information justify choking this man to death?

Should this man have died?  No,of course not.Is the incident portrayed accurately in the media,No.

This was not an innocent man minding his own business that fell victim to a racist cop. He appears to be well known to the police,perfectly capable of inflicting violence and intimidation on those vulnerable. 31 arrests should have probably told him it would not be wise to physically resist arrest. With his size and temperment the cops will undoubtedly use physical force. There were tragic results but nothing says it was racially motivated. It was motivated first and foremost by the actions of the man that died

• Like 1

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

I'm surprised that Shaq didn't have much to say. :)

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

This is just a question, lest anyone think I'm trying to start something.  Rather than being a racial issue, could the issue of judicial and police inequality be an economic issue?  The incidents being discussed happen to have taken place where there are large populations of poor African Americans.  Where I live and in places like Los Angeles or Tucson, these same events could have very well happened in a poor Latino part of town.  I see rich African Americans (e.g., OJ) buying their way out of horrific crimes like rich white guys do.  Do rich people in general receive better treatment by the law than poor people?  Is it because they can "buy" leniency?

It is fundamentally a Judaical, police and economic issue. The judicial system is there to serve the white majority. To protect them and serve them. Black people, Latinos, and poor people are disproportionally affected by these issues. White's people use weed about the same as Black people but the arrest rates are higher for blacks. White police officers give white kids more of a pass because the white kid could be their son or brother. It's that simple.

See the criming while White twitter trend:

http://www.businessinsider.com/criming-while-white-after-eric-garner-2014-12

White folks generally can't relate to the perspectives of black people because they have not had a negative encounter with police.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

They can shoot and kill you and not get indicted.  I've said the long before recent news.  It is not something new.  

Black people already know the the reality of how police treat black people, latinos and the poor. Right now they get caught on camera and still are not held accountable. Black people have the experience of knowing that many white folks cannot relate to how they feel, and their white privilege and feelings of supremacy do not allow them to empathize.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

I'm wondering how black police officers deal with arrests vs letting crimes "slip by".  Do they give white kids a break in the same manner that white officers do?  And are they as hard on the black population as the white officers?  

The NYC officer who used the choke hold was completely out of line and I can't figure out how the Grand Jury saw fit to dismiss charges.  That blows me away....

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Laz says:

"Black people have the experience of knowing that many white folks cannot relate to how they feel, and their white privilege and feelings of supremacy do not allow them to empathize."

​I'm not sure the "feelings of supremacy" part is applicable to all whites (are you profiling? ;) ; but folks who have never been unjustly discriminated against can't truly empathize with those who have, cuz it's outside of their realm of experience.

​One thing I have noticed is that black families tend educate their children about the realities of racial discrimination at a much earlier age than white families.  I have a 5 year-old African granddaughter that lives in an all-white family in an all-white community.  Little white kids are very insensitive; and tease her about being different.  It is not until they are caught by their parents that it even occurs to them that they are being "racist", if they can even grasp that concept.  My lovely granddaughter never retaliates; but I see the hurt in her eyes; and know that it must have a cumulative effect on her.  You can bet she grasps the concept of racism.  Yet, she remains the most loving grandchild I have.

I don't believe that the officer performing the choke hold intended to kill Mr. Garner, only subdue him long enough for his partners to get the hand cuffs on. Seems like as soon as the officers realized that he was no longer breathing that they could have initiated cpr, or chest compressions, at least. Perhaps police officers should have better training in cpr, besides no longer using choke-holds in order to subdue someone resisting arrest.

Mr. Garner, Mr. Brown, and Mr. Martin would probably be alive today had they not resisted police authority or attacked an officer with a gun. The main purpose of a police force is to try to prevent individuals from harming others, and trying to bring them to justice if they are caught. For unarmed individuals to attack or resist armed police officers is suicide by cop.

Some members of all races/ethnicity have no respect for others, their lives, their property, and their rights. The number of criminals, whether black, white, or in between will continue to grow as Christian principles are valued and practiced less and less by the population. God save us all if the police force and military disband because they are not being paid. America will go up in flames as ignorant, screaming mobs destroy cities, homes, and lives.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Loosies cigarates? I didn't know there was a market for such, over the counter or under. (NY).  Same for black & mild cigarillos (stolen, allegedly in Ferguson).

Yuck!  Call me a sheltered sda or whatever.  I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't buy lotto tickets.  The local convenience stores would go out of business if they had to depend on me.  

I go there to buy gas for the vehicle, an arizona drink now and then.  Same for an occasional little debbies snack.  I only frequent stores that carry little debbies.  File that tidbit under whatever.

Frederick Douglass

Loosies cigarates? I didn't know there was a market for such, over the counter or under. (NY).  Same for black & mild cigarillos (stolen, allegedly in Ferguson).

Yuck!  Call me a sheltered sda or whatever.  I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't buy lotto tickets.  The local convenience stores would go out of business if they had to depend on me.  

I go there to buy gas for the vehicle, an arizona drink now and then.  Same for an occasional little debbies snack.  I only frequent stores that carry little debbies.  File that tidbit under whatever.

It is actually a lucrative illegal business.  Neither Michael brown or Eric Garner "deserved" to die for their illegal activities.Both men set the incidences that led to their death in motion. Racial motivation is being hammered as the reason these men died.Both men have been initially portrayed as "angels of light" and unjustly targeted simply because of the color of their skin.

Anyone resisting arrest,especially with physical force against the police. White or black you are generally going to lose

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

This woman was already arrested, and in the Jasper Texas police department for an outstanding half paid traffic ticket.

The police officers were recently no billed by the grand jury.  The woman was grabbed by her hair, her head slammed on a counter. She had a tooth knocked out.  She was later dragged by her ankles to a holding cell.  She was pregnant at the time.  Both officers were fired by the city of Jasper, but one was quickly re hired by the Jasper county sheriff's office.  All this happened in 2013.

Frederick Douglass

This woman was already arrested, and in the Jasper Texas police department for an outstanding half paid traffic ticket.

The police officers were recently no billed by the grand jury.  The woman was grabbed by her hair, her head slammed on a counter. She had a tooth knocked out.  She was later dragged by her ankles to a holding cell.  She was pregnant at the time.  Both officers were fired by the city of Jasper, but one was quickly re hired by the Jasper county sheriff's office.  All this happened in 2013.

This has what to do with either of the two previously mentioned men? Does it prove racism was the motivating factor in their deaths? Racism is real among all people,it does not make every act because of white on black racism.

I worked for one of the wealthiest families in Mn. They had to out of control young adult children.This family could have bought and paid for the entire police force. Their daughter was arrested  for a traffic violation and found not to have a valid license and treated not to much differently than the woman in the article. Including being strip searched in front of male officers.  She was white and from a influential family.The parents chose not to pursue legal action. One is racism and one is what?

Later in the holding cell the woman was stripped searched by a female radio dispatcher who was untrained in such procedures.  One can only imagine how that went.

Frederick Douglass

This has what to do with either of the two previously mentioned men? Does it prove racism was the motivating factor in their deaths? Racism is real among all people,it does not make every act because of white on black racism.

I worked for one of the wealthiest families in Mn. They had to out of control young adult children.This family could have bought and paid for the entire police force. Their daughter was arrested  for a traffic violation and found not to have a valid license and treated not to much differently than the woman in the article. Including being strip searched in front of male officers.  She was white and from a influential family.The parents chose not to pursue legal action. One is racism and one is what?

This shows evidence that there is a definite and easily discernible pattern of injustice and brutality based on race between police officers, who are quite often caucasian males, and black people, or people of color. 

Frederick Douglass

Later in the holding cell the woman was stripped searched by a female radio dispatcher who was untrained in such procedures.  One can only imagine how that went.

My wealthy white employer's white daughter was not even granted the "privacy" of a holding cell and had male officers looking on.

Police officers are made up of human beings. Some should never hold that position. Most are decent human beings dealing with a wide variety of the good and bad in society. In the heat of battle do things go further than they should?Of Course.

What caused the treatment of the daughter of my white wealthy employer?

Racism is such an abused and used word for everything that it really seems to be losing the meaning of racism.

Those that are truly victims of brutality,and injustice ,whatever the color of their skin get lost in the shuffle.Reaction is more and more "Here we go again"

• Like 1

show me a video.  i got one.

Good  for you. You can choose to believe it or imply it isn't true for lack of video. Really doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

It seems you will continue to play "I Spy Racism" in every sentence and every act. If that is productive for you,go for it.

I do not believe the two deaths in question were racially motivated. Rather first and foremost motivated by the behavior of the two dead men. Behaving in the manner they did,both past and present,the stage was set for tragedy. 

show me a video.  i got one.

As an employee I didn't feel it was my place to request a video to be able to show Kountzer.

We have a black woman police officer in our town. This is a woman I would be very uneasy around in stressful situations.In her case I do believe it is race based. In the past she used to walk her dog down our block. She would have him on a leash and then remove the leash to do his business in the yards along the block. At first I thought it was accidental. But it was over and over,even with the owners standing in the yard watching. Her whole attitude was daring someone to try to knock the chip off her shoulder. It was so stupid and childish it was hard to comprehend an adult behaving in that manner. I almost said something and then decided it was not worth reporting her or even talking with her and just ignored it. Some of the other neighbors did confront her and go to the police dept. Don't know what happened as she no longer walks this block. 

Should I base my attitude towards black officers in general because of this obnoxious woman? And,no,I did not take a video but some did

• Like 1

• Moderators

There is more to the story of Eric  Garner

BREAKING: NYPD Confirms #EricGarner Was A Member of Organized Crime in Staten Island

DECEMBER 3, 2014  BY CHARLES C. JOHNSON

Eric-Garner.jpg

NYPD sources confirm that Eric Garner was a player in an organized crime cigarette smuggling syndicate, Gotnews.com has learned.

Staten Island arrested Garner many times for smuggling untaxed cigarettes.

“Local merchants had long complained about him,” says John Cardillo, a former member of the NYPD who maintains connections with the department.

Other NYPD sources pointed out that Garner had 31 arrests, beginning when he was 16.

“Garner was setting up shop in front of the local stores and shaking down business owners and patrons as they entered,” says Cardillo.

Garner would use his considerable size to strong arm largely ethnic shopkeepers and was “on the radar” of local law enforcement who had arrested him previously.

“They were looking at him to see who his suppliers were,”

Untaxed cigarette smuggling across state lines is a multi-billion illegal trade. Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms has partnered up with Phillip Morris to help stop it.

Garner was facing three misdemeanor cases prior to his death, according to the Staten Island press.

Garner, 43, gave cops a phony name and put himself in more hot water when officers allegedly found untaxed cigarettes and a small amount of marijuana in the 1998 Lincoln Navigator he was driving, the complaint said.

He was charged with aggravated unlicensed vehicle operation, false personation, possession or sale of untaxed cigarettes and marijuana possession, according to information from District Attorney Daniel Donovan’s office.

Seven months later, while out on $1,000 bail, Garner was busted on March 28 for allegedly selling unstamped cigarettes on the street outside of 200 Bay St., Tompkinsville. He had 24 packs of untaxed smokes in his possession, police said.

The location is next door to 202 Bay St., where the fatal confrontation occurred Thursday between cops and Garner.

Garner was charged with a misdemeanor count of violating the cigarette and tobacco products tax and posted $1,000 bail, online state court records show.

Garner was arrested again on May 7 on Victory Boulevard and St. Marks Place, Tompkinsville. The site is across the block from Bay Street.

Cops accused him of possessing six packs of untaxed cigarettes.

Garner last appeared in court to answer the three cases on July 2. The matters were all adjourned then to Oct. 7, online state court records show.

I am aware of the reports about his past activities.  Still, choking a non-violent man to death?

• Moderators

I don't trust what NYPD has to say about this, anymore than I trust a grand jury.

Oh, you'd rather trust the looters, arsonists, and thieves, and liars in Ferguson?

• Moderators

I call him an Uncle Tom because he got lucky and rode his basketball skills to national attention then he turns conservative.  I've heard him giving economic advice to others. If it weren't for TNT and the NBA he would be a nobody.  Same for Ben Carson and Clarence Thomas.  They both rode affirmative action, & student loans to prominence.  Now they're both 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' Ayn Rand clones.

It is amazing how the media portrays Carson as a devout christian but seldom mention he is sda.  If he makes it to the white house he'll probably become a presbyterian.

Got lucky?  There many blacks AND other minorities who ride on some skill out of poverty.  Mr. Barkley had to work hard on his basketball skills to make his luck.  So did Carson.  So did I.  So did my brother and sister.  No, I did not pull myself up by my bootstrap by myself.  Without Wachovia loans, and encouragement from some friends I would never have made it through med school.  The USA is still a magnet for success for much of the world.  They know that if they apply themselves, the American Dream beckons them.  Being a poor immigrant who came legally to this country as a teenager, it is very difficult for me to understand the desperation and hopelessness of so many here.  Perhaps you can enlighten me.