ClubAdventist is back!

Herbert Douglass

Gail

• Administrators

This stalwart Adventist theologian passed away today.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

He is the same age as my dad and has been a good friend of his for years. I knew him since he was at the Pacific Press in Mountain View, California. He was always kind and encouraging. I had much admiration for him. Prayers for his family.

LD

• Moderators

Sadly I never met him, but have read some of his work and heard good reports from him from say Graham Maxwell and some of my other teachers. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

I think I first heard the name of Herb Douglass when he was the author of the Sabbath School lessons for the second quarter, 1977, "Jesus, the Model Man." I was 15, and a sophomore in high school (I had to look up the date <g>).  In the next couple of years I got into all the theological disputes of the period. I read "Perfection: The Impossible Possibility" (1975), and "The Shaking of Adventism," and though initially attracted by the Wieland/Douglass position, found myself sliding over into the Ford/Brinsmead camp.  And that eventually led me out of the Adventist church.  Fast forward a couple of decades, and restudying these issues from some life experience led me to some different conclusions. That brought me back to the Adventist church (2007). That fall I attended the conference at Andrews that the seminary hosted to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the book, "Questions on Doctrine."  That's where I met Herb (and the Standish brothers, and so many others who had been involved in the controversies that I had started studying when I was barely into my teens.  Herb was a wonderfully nice man. We had several long talks and some delightful meals together during the few days we were together. We continued our friendship through e-mails, and through interplay between columns we both wrote for an online publication.

We were both New England Yankees and alumni of Atlantic Union College (though several decades apart); he served as president of our alma mater from 1967-1970.  His brother, Melvin, is a friend here in Houston.

All who knew him praise him as a model of civility and Christian kindness, even in the midst of the theological disputes that bring out the sinful nature of most of us.  He will be missed.

The Review just posted this profile of him: http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/herbert-e.-douglass,-leading-theologian-and-author,-dead-at-87

• Like 3