ClubAdventist is back!

The Book of Negroes

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The Book of Negroes:  How much do you know about it?  It is a book that has draws rave reviews.  It is a TV miniseries that will soon be shown on television.

It has been said to rival the ROOTS miniseries.

For a starter look at this element of history, see: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2h58.html

For more information:  It is on the Internet.

• Like 3

Gregory

• Members

there are two "books" of that name...the first is the historical document (the list of 3000 blacks who had maintained loyalty to King George III during the American Revolution and anyone on the list could be granted escape to Canada).  The 2nd book is a novel about Aminata Diallo, a fictional black lady who had been in slavery, but eventually got her name on the list.  The novel follows her fictional life.

It's an interesting novel and gives lots of fascinating historical background, but Roots dealt with actual real-life ancestors of Alex Haley, not someone dreamed up in an author's imagination.  

I think they're both equally great books, but just different genres...  :)  (I highly recommend the novel!!!)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

btw---Negro means black, and [theN-word] is a corruption of Negro. Although intended as an insult, sometimes, [theN-word] just means black, but likely with negative connotations.

(Growing up in Iowa and Wisconsin I didn't see very many blacks, so didn't see any racial prejudice. Texas was a different story, though. My first encounter with [theN-word]-haters was at a workplace owned and operated by an SDA. Located in a college town, the factory employed students from a wide area. The [theN-word]-haters were southerners, but not all of the southerners suffered from racial prejudice.)

If I were a black, Canada would have looked really good, back in the day, except for the frigid weather. Central America might have been a better direction to go.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• 4 weeks later...

I am lost for words on how the truth is finally coming out. My major problem is where my people are in Afrika. I truly would like to meet them. That has been taken from me. I took the DNA at ancestor.com and I am 87% Afrikan. I have also Irish, England, Scandinavian and 1% Chinese. I long for my soil and my home. My joy is that I will get a new name and not this slave name I have name. It will never change here because of sin. Thanks about the book and the history. Thank you for those that are White who care and want to see a change. We still are all related and I love you all.

ELOHIM Created one race-mankind!

Blessings! 

• Like 2

• Members

I am lost for words on how the truth is finally coming out. My major problem is where my people are in Afrika. I truly would like to meet them. That has been taken from me. I took the DNA at ancestor.com and I am 87% Afrikan. I have also Irish, England, Scandinavian and 1% Chinese. I long for my soil and my home. My joy is that I will get a new name and not this slave name I have name. It will never change here because of sin. Thanks about the book and the history. Thank you for those that are White who care and want to see a change. We still are all related and I love you all.

ELOHIM Created one race-mankind!

Blessings! 

you might want to upload your DNA raw data to gedmatch.  You'll then be able to do admixture comparisons to narrow down more specifically which areas are your ancestral homelands in Africa..   That'd be interesting..

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?