ClubAdventist is back!

The One Project--General

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Earlier, I established a thread on The One Project--San Diego. That thread has morphed into a general discussion. I was a big contributor to that.

For future posts, please keep the San Diego thread to that and for general posts on TOP, please post them here.

Thanks.

As you will note, I have moved a number of posts from the San Diego thread to this one.

Gregory

• Moderators

NOTE: This post was first posted in the San Diego thread. I have moved it to this thread.

On the George Fox Issue, Part 1:

Yale University was founded in 1701, as a Congregationalist school to train clergy and lay leaders for ministry.

Harvard University was funded in 1636, primarily to train Unitarians and Congregationalists clergy.

Columbia College was founded as a Calvinist institution.

Brown was under the control of the Baptists, Quakers, Episcopalians and Congregationalists.

In short, 7 out of the 8 Ivy League schools were founded as Christian institutions of some type.

I graduated from a graduate school founded by the Disciples of Christ. Was the graduate degree that they gave me in psychology contaminated by the denominational background of its founders? Hardly.

Regardless of the denominational background of all of the above schools, and more, few would probably say that any of them have a very large Christian influence in the classroom. Yes, they may still have campus chaplains who come from their denominational background. But, are they really denominational schools dedicated to teaching Christian beliefs? No.

George fox University was founded, under another name, in 1885 by the Quakers. In 1893 it became a Stock Company. In 1996 George Fox University merged with the Western Evangelical seminary which represents a large group of Quakers, free Methodists, Nazarenes, Church of God (Anderson) and the Evangelical church of North America. In its present form, George Fox University is dedicated to be a University serving the Christian world, but not just the Quaker world. As such 90% of its students (one year 3, 700) serve in local churches of Christian background. 95% of its students are NOT Quaker.

Why do SDA Clergy attend George Fox University:

1) Because George Fox recognizes the SDA Denomination as part of the Christian community.

2) Because George Fox has specialized programs in global ministry and in reaching people who are not participating in a Christian congregations.

3) Because George Fox has what would be considered a conservative approach to Christianity in contrast to much more liberal schools. Would your rather than our clergy went to Harvard and Yale?

those who talk about the Quaker background of George Fox are telling half-truths. Yes, they are half-true. But, in the present configuration of George Fox, it is much different from what it was in 1885. If you want to criticize people who attend, at least get the facts correct and acknowledge George fox for what it is today.

Yes, one could probably find classes and programs at George Fox that one might say do not reflect good SDA viewpoints. So what? Just because such might exist does not mean that SDA Clergy are being contaminated by such.

I will say more later.

Gregory

• Moderators

This post also was first posted in the TOP San Diego thread.

Here are the Bylaws of TOP:

Bylaws of the One Project

ARTICLE I—NAME

This organization shall be known as “the One project”.

ARTICLE II—PURPOSE

The purpose of the One project is to celebrate the supremacy of Jesus through the Adventist Church.

ARTICLE III—TERRITORIAL ADMINISTRATION

Sec. 1. the One project, normally shall conduct its worldwide work through and by permission of the

Divisions, Unions and Conferences in the Church.

Sec. 2. Each Division in which the One project has been invited, will have an appointed liaison with the One project.

ARTICLE IV—LEGAL STATUS

the One Project is operationally hosted at the Boulder Seventh-day Adventist Church. The Boulder Seventh-day Adventist Church is a trade name of The Rocky Mountain Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, which is a Colorado nonprofit corporation that is a church within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code Section 501©(3).

the One project conducts much of its work through the Board and Executive Committee and the supporting committees.

the One project operates as a ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and as such is formally a denominationally supported activity.

ARTICLE V—OFFICERS

Sec. 1. Officers must be individuals who are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church who are in good and regular standing. The officers of the organization shall be:

A. Co-Chief Executive Officers

B. Chief Development Officer

C. Chief Innovations Officer

D. Chief Financial Officer

E. Chief Marketing Officer

F. Chief Operations Officer

G. Chief Technology Officer

H. Regional Chairs (for each operating region)

Sec. 2. The Co-Chief Executive Officer position(s) are limited to ordained ministers of experience but is not time limited and the incumbents shall hold the office until such time as they choose to relinquish this position. The remaining Executive team members shall be appointed by the Board for a two (2) years and may serve unlimited terms.

Sec. 3. The Officers shall be elected for a term of two (2) years at the spring meeting of the One project.

ARTICLE VI—DUTIES OF OFFICERS

Sec. 1. Officers will communicate with each other at least monthly over matters pertaining to the vision and implementation of the One project. It is the duty of these officers, in consultation with one another, to carry forward the work according to plans and programs voted by the One project board.

Sec. 2. Executive Team: The CoCEOs and COO are the Executive officers, and shall carry forward the work in consultation with one another. They will serve as the Administrative Committee, (ADCOM). To the extent the Executive Team and ADCOM have not adopted specific formal written policies, they will follow the policies and procedures of the Rocky Mountain Conference of Seventh-day Adventists, with particularly emphasis on matters of financial accountability and personnel decisions made for the One project.

Sec. 3. The Co-Chief Executive Officers, of the One project shall:

a. Report directly to the Board.

b. Implement vision.

c. Drive the mission and establish a healthy culture for the overall success.

d. Chair the Executive Committees.

e. Establish ad hoc committees as needed.

f. Collate officer reports.

g. Build an extensive network of support and counsel, through the consultants and others.

h. Create policies and systems to further the mission.

i. Direct the theologically driven messages, while balancing the prophetic and supportive voices.

j. Support the Executive Committee (EC) officers.

Sec. 4. Chief Operations Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Oversee all gathering production

b. Develop job descriptions for leadership, staff, and other management positions

c. Develop organizational charts

d. Oversee staff/volunteer development.

They shall be responsible for keeping the minutes of the proceedings of the Board meetings of the One project along with the Executive Committee, and for maintaining correspondence with church organizations. They shall collaborate with the csuite to produce the monthly newsletters as well as the event dependent newsletters, and for the performance of such other duties as usually pertain to such office.

Sec. 5. Chief Innovations Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Govern and create multiple processes for innovation of our mission.

b. Ensure that partners, consultants and leadership have a broad inclusive platform for sharing ideas and facilitating innovation around our gathering participants experience and other opportunities. Including the management of all social media content.

c. Convenes the Innovation Council on a monthly basis.

d. Search for opportunities to run creative ideas through a process of innovation.

e. Work with the CTO to create an idea harvesting process

f. Drive the philosophy behind the worship leading for all the gatherings.

Sec. 6. Chief Development Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Implement a fundraising plan to establish the strength of the One project.

b. Enhance long term stewardship and donor recognition

c. Raise funds for all operations.

d. Engage partners and establish new partners for each gathering

e. Manage their presence at gatherings

f. Manage advertising space.

Sec. 7. Chief Financial Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Manage and ensure fiscal transparency in conformity with the policies and procedures of the Rocky Mountain Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.

b. Prepare revenue reports

c. Generating budgets and other financial reports

d. Invoice payments

e. Ensure financial transparency

f. Provide monthly reporting to the Executive Committee (EC) and biannual reporting to the Board at large.

Sec. 8. Chief Marketing Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Offer particular emphasis on the stability of our gatherings.

b. Create awareness for the One project

c. Set rates for gatherings

d. Generate event registrations.

e. Oversee the ambassador program, website content, and overall brand development.

f. Oversee the content for app and website to ensure message consistency.

Sec. 9. Chief Technology Officer, of the One project shall:

a. Provide technological solutions that facilitate the operations of the One project.

b. Create and manage audio visual, live streaming, web, IOS, Android and other technological solutions as needed.

Sec. 10. Regional Chairs, of the One project shall:

a. Collaborate closely with their respective fields

b. Offer counsel

c. Set up policies in line with local Church practices.

ARTICLE VII—TERM OF OFFICE

Sec. 1. All officers of the One project shall hold office from the time they are elected and until their replacement is elected, or until they resign or are terminated from their office.

ARTICLE VIII—BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Sec. 1. The Board of Directors of the One project Board shall consist of:

a. Its CoFounders (Alex Bryan, Japhet De Oliveira, Timothy Gillespie, Sam Leonor and Terry Swenson)

b. Elected Directors

c. One representative from within the Divisions of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in which it conducts operations (presently NAD, TED, EUD and SPD).

d.Elected LayMembers

Sec. 2. Board Membership is limited to individuals who are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that are in good and regular standing. The Co-Chief Executive Officers (Alex Bryan and Japhet De Oliveira) shall act as the Co-Chairs of the Board until such time as they choose to relinquish this position.

Sec. 3. The members of the Board of Directors shall be elected for a term of two (2) years at the spring meeting of the One project. Care should be taken to ensure that each geographical area where the One project operates is adequately represented.

ARTICLE IX—BOARD MEETINGS

Sec. 1. the One project will hold biannual meetings. Extra meetings may be called with one month’s notice.

Sec. 2. At least 50% of the Board membership must be present at the opening meeting of any regular or specially called Board Meeting to constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Once the meeting is declared open, the members remaining present shall constitute a quorum.

Sec. 3. The election of Board members and the voting on all matters of business shall be by viva voce vote, or as designated by the Co-Chairs, unless otherwise requested by a majority of the members present.

ARTICLE X—COMMITTEES

Sec. 1. At each Board meeting of the One project, such committees as may be found necessary, including the following, shall be elected for the duration of the term:

A. Executive Committee

B. Gathering Committees

C. Regional Advisory Committees

D. Operations Committee

E. Technology Committee

F. TOP Kids Committee

G. Innovation Committee

H. generation One Committee

I. Development Committee

J. Finance Committee

K. Marketing Committee

ARTICLE XI—BYLAWS

At any regular or special Board meeting of the One project, the members may amend, the Bylaws by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present and voting. Such actions may embrace any provision not inconsistent with the Purpose of the organization.

ARTICLE XII—DISSOLUTION

In the event of the dissolution of the One project, any funds or assets remaining after all legitimate claims have been satisfied shall be transferred to the Rocky Mountain Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for distribution as recommended by the One project Board.

Gregory

• Moderators

In the above bylaws, note its ties to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Note the following in the above Bylaws:

The One project operates as a ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and as such is formally a denominationally supported activity.

It is a denominationally supported ministry, with strong denominational ties.

Pam, yes, George Fox University attempts to work with Seventh-day Adventists.

I expect to say more later.

Gregory

• Moderators

Gail made the following post on February 21, at 5:o8 PM:

Thanks again- looking forward to reading more

Like This

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Gregory

• Moderators

This will tell you something about the people connected with The One Project.

Note that George Fox University graduates do not constitute the majority of the people.

Major People Connected With The One Project:

Board Members:

Alex Bryan: President of Kettering College of Medical arts, Formerly pastor at Walla Walla. Degree from George Fox University.

Ken Denslow: Presently, Assistant to the President of the North American Division, Formerly IL Conference President and Associate Director of the Evangelism Institute of the NAD.

Japhet De Oliveira: Senior Pastor Boulder, Colorado SDA Church. Formerly pastor and professor at Andrews University.

Lisa Clark Diller: Present professor at Southern Adventist University, historian who teaches in religion & politics.

David Franklin: Present co-host of “Lets Pray” on the Hope Channel of the General Conference and pastor of Berea Temple SDA Church.

Tim Gillespie: Present, Faith & Health Liaison at Loma Linda University Medical Center. Graduate (DMin.) degree from George Fox University. Co-author of LOVE THEM AND THEY WILL COME.

Sam Leonor: Pastor to students and faculty of La Sierra University. Doctoral candidate at George Fox University.

Rod Long: A lay person, who has served the SDA Church in a lay capacity for decades, who lives in Australia.

Paddy McCoy: Campus Chaplain, Walla Walla University.

Terry Swenson: Campus chaplain & Associate Professor in the Department of religion at Loma Linda University. Doctoral degree from George Fox University.

Others:

Karl Haffner: Senior pastor, Kettering SDA Church. He has written several books and 100s of articles.

Danny Hernandez: Senior pastor of Life Source SDA Church, Denver. Adjunct professor at Adventist University of Health Sciences in Florida.

Eddie Hypolite: Senior pastor at Avondale College Church, Australia. Formally a Social Worker.

Brandy Kirstein: Degrees in nursing and religious education. Married to a chaplain at Southern Adventist University.

Timothy Nixon: Doctoral degree from Andrews University. Associate chaplain at Andrews University.

Randy Roberts: Senior pastor of the Loma Linda University Church. Author of WAITING AND LONGING.

Stephen Sigg: Director of Youth Ministries, Inter-European Division, Switzerland. Adjunct lecturer at Friedensau Adventist University, Germany. Doctoral degree from Andrews University.

Emily Whitney: Pastor Walla Walla University Church. Former Adjunct Professor at Walla Walla University and Southern Adventist University. Working on a doctorate at Andrews University with an emphasis on Biblical Spirituality.

Mark Witas: Lead Pastor at Pacific Union College Church. Author of three books.

Gregory

• Moderators

The above post gives you a general idea as to the type of person who is a major player in TOP.

Yes, there are a few from George Fox University, but, they are not the majority.

It should be noted that I have not listed many of the degrees from Andrews University that are held by people listed above.

Gregory

• Members

I have three questions after perusing TOP bylaws (and maybe more after I think more about it):

1)  what is/are the source(s) of funding?  IOW, where's the money coming from that requires a CFO and Finance Committee?

2)  are any of the listed Board members (or other unnamed individuals) receiving financial compensation from TOP?  If so, how much and for what services?  

3)  Where is the financial statement that would come under the umbrella of "transparency"?  I'd like to see it.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Pam:

Question # 1: The funding comes from private individuals and from corporate sponsors. The corporate sponsors pay TOP to put up a booth at the Gatherings.

E.G. The San Diego Gathering has several SDA colleges and other SDA institutions who paid a small fee to set up a booth. So, why would they do this?

Well, there are a lot of young people who attend the Gatherings. The colleges want to recruit students.

ADRA was one of the non-educational institutions that set up a booth. Why? Because ADRA has found that the people who attend the Gatherings have an interest in the work that ADRA does.

As I recall, there were two mission organizations connected with the SDA Church that set up booths.

There were corporate sponsors at the San Diego Gathering who provided more direct and substantial support to the Gathering. I assume that they were allowed to set their booths up an no additional charge.

As to the part of your question that pertains to a CFO and Finance Committee: The money involved is large enough that such is required.

As to your other two questions, I do not have a good answer, although I think that I know the answer to at least one. I will get back with you as to an answer.

• Like 1

Gregory

• Members

Thanks for the info.  I find it interesting.

Who are the corporate sponsors?

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

The corporate sponsors are organizations that want to support TOP, just as the individuals are people who want to support TOP. TOP is not directly funded by the SDA Denomination. It raises its funding separate from the denomination.

Anyway, the corporate sponsors at San Diego were, as I recall, three SDA colleges--PUC, Walla Walla, La Sierra and the educational arm of one of our hospitals, ADRA and two mission oriented organizations related to the SDA Church--The Quiet Hour and LLBN.

ADRA was deeply enough involved that it sent people from Australia to attend. I had one of the people whom they sent from Australia at my table.

Gregory

• Moderators

Who/What is LLBN: LLBN is the Loma Linda Broadcasting Network which broadcasts over satellite and IPTV 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It broadcasts in English Arabic Chinese and other languages.

Its satellite covers the following areas:

Coverage area: United States (including Alaska, Hawaii) - Canada (excluding Northern NW Territories, NE Nunavut and extreme Northern Quebec) - Antigua and Barbuda - Aruba - Bahamas - Barbados - Belize - Cayman Islands - Colombia (Northern region) - Costa Rica - Cuba - Dominica - Dominican Republic - El Salvador - Grenada - Guadeloupe - Guatemala - Haiti - Honduras - Jamaica - Martinique - Mexico - Netherlands Antilles - Nicaragua - Panama - Puerto Rico - St. Kitts and Nevis - St. Lucia - St. Vincent and the Grenadines - Venezuela (NW coastal region) - Virgin Islands

Its IPTV is of course International and it is available on ROKU.

Gregory

This is a very good topic thread because details are helping us readers get a clearer view.

I'm sure there is much more to say.

The more I read, and the more I see the flak flying from the big guns of the orthodox defenders doing their best to defame The One Project, the more I get convicted to support the project.

• Like 2

• Moderators

In post # 8, Pam asked three questions.  I have asked TOP to respond to them.  I have now received their response.   TOP was aware that I had responded to question # 1 and trusted me to provide an accurate answer.  So, no response was made to question # 1.

I will quote their response to question # 2, and comment on it.

I have asked TOP several follow up questions related to their response to question # 3.  So, I will wait to cite their answer until I receive a response to that 3rd question and my follow up ones.

In response to question # 2, TOP said:

None. We have staff support, student workers, contracts etc. But not the Board Members. 

The above is what I was aware of.  The major players, the Board members do not receive financial payments for their services from TOP.  They are employed by SDA organizations who allow them to perform extra duties for TOP.    For example, as I understand it, the Rocky Mountain Conference has two (2) employees who are paid by the RMC and allowed to perform extra duties for TOP.  But, both provide substantial services to the RMC.

I am personally aware of a person who provided TOP Staff support who is not paid by the denomination.  That person's funding was raised privately by TOP.  As an interesting aside, that person is allowed by TOP to provide, as an extra duty, services to the denomination.  I.E.  Turn about is fair play.

I am also aware of people who specific services for a contract fee.  E.G.  The  San Diego Gathering had a number of such people working to make that a success.  Some were hired professionals who worked on a contract and others were not professionals, but provided services that were needed at San Diego.

NOTE:  After I received responses to my follow up questions related to Pam's 3rd question, I will respond.

Gregory

• Moderators

TOP has responded to my follow up questions and I will quote their response and then comment:

Tell them to ask Boulder church board for copies of the accounts. 

We are not a 503c 

We are not a 502c 

The address of the Boulder Church is:  345 Mapleton Ave, Boulder, Colorado, 80304-3981

The Chair of the Church Board is:  Dr. Mark Johnson

As the intention is to make the Boulder congregation the International headquarters for TOP, the Church Board has initial oversight and/or review of the ongoing activities of TOP.  The relationship of TOP is such that the Rocky Mountain Conference has additional oversight of the activities of TOP and in this capacity financial and other information is provided to the RMC for its oversight and/or review.  What I have said here should not be taken to imply that either the Boulder congregation or the RMC either controls TOP or that TOP is an agent of the RMC.  Rather, the leaders in TOP desire a level of transparency that has full communication with the denomination and as part of the level of communication the ability to share goals, progress and any potential concerns.  This, as you will note from the Bylaws, includes denominational officials on the Board.

Gregory

• Members

I don't feel as though my questions #2 and #3 were answered very well.

2)  are any of the listed Board members (or other unnamed individuals) receiving financial compensation from TOP?  If so, how much and for what services?  

I didn't ask only about Board members.  The answer from TOP is woefully lacking, as it didn't address my entire question... I'm not referring to individuals who are unpaid.

3)  Where is the financial statement that would come under the umbrella of "transparency"?  I'd like to see it.

TOP's financial statement isn't online??  It's not very "transparent" if it isn't.   (I can't imagine all transactions between Boulder Church, TOP, and the Rocky Mountain Conference is all done by snail mail...)

why does it feel as though asking these questions is like trying to pull teeth??

I'm not suggesting there is anything untoward about TOP's financial status or actions.  It's more that "curious minds want to know...", and the fact that if I (as a TOP endorser) am asking these questions and not getting straightforward answers, you can bet that detractors of TOP might be inclined to do the same, and more..

• Moderators

Pam, you asked the questions and I asked them of TOP, along with some follow up questions.  I provided you with the answers that I was given.  I think that you were give appropriate answers.

I understand that you were not given answers that you consider to be appropriate.

I think that I know you well enough to be able to say that you can probably provide the names of organizations that do post such information on the Internet.  However, I will tell you that such is probably the exception, and the exception among organizations that want to be transparent.  Probably a greater majority do ask that people ask them directly for such.

There must always be a balance between transparency, being open and privacy.  Even the most open and transparent must establish boundaries that protect individual privacy.  Yes, I know, and so do you and others here, that certain organizations are required to file documents with the IRS that are then made available to the public.  Yes, we all know that such documents may include names of individuals and their salary and benefit packages.  But, those documents do establish boundaries.  Beyond those boundaries the organizations are not required to go.

In any case, you have an answer.  You have been told what you can do if you want more information.  I do not know what you will ask and I do not know what the response will be.  In any case, it is out of my hands.

Gregory

• Members

I understand that you were not given answers that you consider to be appropriate.

not "inappropriate" - just incomplete..

You have been told what you can do if you want more information.

actually, by not answering my specific questions, TOP's answer has been given...

Thanks for trying..

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the info.  I find it interesting.

Who are the corporate sponsors?

I really would like if this question is answered with sincerity and truth, i only see the Jesuit in work. Why the former?

• Moderators

Corporate sponsors may differ from place to place.

Typically corporate sponsors will include SDA colleges and SDA radio and TV ministry.  In SD one corporate sponsor had software specially designed for an Adventist audience that included standard SDA books in a digital form.

Gregory

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

It's sad that the "Taliban" SDA's around us want to demonize a movement that focuses on our relationship with Jesus rather than a relationship with a denomination.  Although on the other end of the spectrum, the denomination's fight with so-called "independent" ministries in the late 80's and early 90's was based on the same premise - "believe what we tell you to believe or you will be 'encouraged' to leave.  Be very afraid of anyone to tries to add or subtract from what we tell you."  Elder Johnsson eloquently expressed the frustration of SDA's wanting to explore a personal relationship with Jesus and include those outside the SDA community who may have insight into the spiritual realm.  We SDA's don't have a monopoly on Jesus or the Holy Spirit.  We can learn from others just as they can learn from us.

My one experience with the One Project was one of the most inspiring meetings I have ever attended in an SDA setting.

15 hours ago, JoeMo said:

It's sad that the "Taliban" SDA's around us want to demonize a movement that focuses on our relationship with Jesus rather than a relationship with a denomination. 

Good that you wrote your insight for all to see.

It's an echo of my sentiments.

Taliban SDA's of today = the Pharisees persecuting Jesus of His day.

• Moderators

Very sincere people exist on both sides of this issue.  Unfortunately,  there is a lot of error in what many are saying/posting.

Gregory